Prospect Info: 2014 NHL Draft / Pick #118 - Igor Shestyorkin (G) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Maybe for a time, but definitely not by 2004.
No definitely not. I'm talking more post-draft in terms of how people viewed them and their upside, at least around here. I remember people pumping Holmqvist up big time, whereas for a year or two not much was said about Lundqvist. Then he had a couple huge years and it was like, whoa, we may have something here.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
What stopped him from reaching his potential?
He looked like a goalie that Allaire could have really helped in his youth. Too aggressive, and relied heavily on his athleticism to cover positional weaknesses which worked on the way up. He never really managed to adapt on the big stage. Similar to Fleury in his early days, but Fleury learned to be calmer in net and better positionally in order to complement his ridiculous athleticism.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What stopped him from reaching his potential?

At the risk of repeating what Romba said, I think that's a lot of it.

I think he was a bigger goalie who was used to being able to compensate for mistakes with his athleticism. Unfortunately, as the competition gets better and faster, you're not always the most gifted player on the ice.

Additionally, I think it's almost always difficult for young goalie taken with high picks to match the expectations that are placed on them. It's the nature of the position and how they develop (or don't). Lehtonen was also taken in an era when young goalies were treated like young quarterbacks and seen as potential faces of the franchise. That era has died down a bit and we've kind of gone back into an era where teams are a little reluctant to take a netminder with a higher pick, or at least reluctant to hype them to the moon.

Reactions: romba

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Speaking of goalies and athleticism, the funny thing I find about the increased usage of high definition cameras is that you can really see that all those "amazing reflex saves" are almost all actually about good positioning. Having a pad in place to stop the puck, having your glove in the right position. It's nearly impossibly to actually react to a shot after it's taken and move a body part of yours into its way if you're not 95% of the way there already due to your positioning.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
KHL actually tracks time in the offensive/defensive zones. Interesting to see in conjunction with the shot attempts

That's cool i guess, but i want shot location data to get some expected goals models working for KHL, i value stats like dSv% very highly when i judge goalies... Or even just 5v5 Sv% would be nice to have for KHL but i don't think we have that.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
SKA is playing, but Shesterkin is not even the backup, so maybe he's injured.

Incidentally, we are told by some here that the KHL is a joke after the top 2-3 teams, and the rest of the league is far below AHL quality, but SKA is now tied 1-1 late in the second with Riga, by far the worst team in the league.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
SKA is playing, but Shesterkin is not even the backup, so maybe he's injured.

Incidentally, we are told by some here that the KHL is a joke after the top 2-3 teams, and the rest of the league is far below AHL quality, but SKA is now tied 1-1 late in the second with Riga, by far the worst team in the league.

its because shesty is not playing

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

IMHO this tournament will determine who's starting goalie for Team Russia in the Olympics. As of now it is Shesty's spot to lose because I just do not see how he won't be a starting goalie given that Sorokin does not have anything on him this season.

Admiral's Vladimir Tkachev was not invited. Too bad - he's pretty much the only one on the team with decent stats this season.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

SnowFort

Mar 5, 2017
Yeah, I don’t think he’s played in the last 4 games or so, so he could definitely be rusty. Before that he played quite a lot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Page 2!

The goalie coach said he'll start tomorrow against Finland. This is their first game of the tournament, so thats good news as he appears to be for now preferred to Sorokin.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not a good performance today, 3 goals on 17 shots. None were his fault, but still could've kept two of them out. The third one was textbook goalie interference, not called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad