If your team moved, would you watch them? Give up hockey?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
For those of you so excited about the possibility of the Pens moving (I can understand it among those who might get a team in their city, but others of you? Not so much), imagine for a moment your team relocating at the end of this season. Montreal, you are on your way to Hamilton because despite support the city will not kick in for a new arena. Toronto, you are on the way to KC. Philly, pack up for Houston. And on and on. What would you be going through now? Would you follow them in their new digs half a continent away? Would you support an expansion team if it came in and go through a decade of growing pains after growing up since birth with your team (or for some of you for a decade or more anyways)? Would it be the same or would you find it hard to come back to the NHL?

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
I guess this question is mainly for North Americans cause for me as a European, even if Colorado moved for example to Las Vegas, it wouldnt matter cause its still an ocean away from me. Like, I want the team to stay in Colorado but I sure wouldnt give up watching hockey.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
I'd give up that team, but probably not hockey. I guess it's like if the president is killed, the vice president takes over. My second and third favorites would move up the ladder.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Of course I'd still watch hockey. I watched hockey before I even had a favourite team.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The Pens are unique solely because they have a potentially bright future on ice with the young superstars. It would be tough to equate that, as a Flyers' fan, right now with their constantly changing and battered lineup. If suppose, they had a Crosby-type perhaps the continuity to a new market would be sustained by his growth.

I have rooted for the Flyers since the 1970's but if they became the Houston Whatevers with green and yellow uniforms and erased the team's history, like some relocated sports teams have done, then I would suspect that I wouldn't feel the urgency to get the uniform of the Whatevers and cheer from a distance. I'd remain a hearty hockey fan but more than likely without the passion of a favorite team.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
If the Bruins left Boston they'd soon be replaced by a new team whom I would cheer for instead of the relocated Bruins franchise which I would be incorrigibly bitter towards.

But for the sake of this exercise...I'd probably cheer for the western Canadian teams while there was no team in town.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Nope.

There is a ton of hockey in Calgary to watch and enjoy if the Flames left. I'd still watch the NHL, but my loyalties are to the Calgary part, not the Flames part.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
If the oilers moved to an American city I wouldn't ever really get to see them, so I'd probably move on to the next team on my list.
If they moved elsewhere in Canada, I'd be just as big a fan I'm sure.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I'd definitely keep watching them. True blue for life....even if he move to Hawaii and change there colors to yellow and gold. So no i wouldn't give up hockey.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
To answer the question of would I still watch the team...the answer is a definitive NO. I can say this because I grew up in Hartford as a diehard Whalers fan and absolutely refuse to watch any game that the Hurricanes are playing in. Last year was extremely difficult because it was the first SCF that I have not watched, taped, and rewatched every game of in the past 10 years. I actually watched a couple of the games, but was very disheartened when Bergeron crashed into Roloson. It was just destined to be for Carolina last year...what with all the key injuries to their opponents in the playoffs...they couldn't lose. Yes, I'm bitter. No, I will not get over it anytime soon.

To answer the question of would I still watch hockey...the answer is a definitive YES. Not only do I think I watched more NHL hockey after the Whalers left (since I didn't really have any alligences), but I also began to watch AHL hockey and college hockey a lot more too. I love the sport and regardless of what happened in Hartford, my love for the sport continues to grow each day.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
A thought I had during the Sabres' bankruptcy period. I know I wouldn't be able follow the _______ Sabres wherever they ended up. I honestly can't say for sure but I think I'd still follow the NHL. What I'd probably end up doing is following other levels of hockey, minors, juniors, NCAA more than I would the NHL.

Incidentally, if the Bills ever left Buffalo I'd never watch another NFL game.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
I'm in a slightly different position, as I'm in a minor-league city AND have lost my team already (the Gulls folded suddenly last season).

If the Kings (my NHL team) moved, I'm not sure if I would root for them or not -- I certainly wouldn't shift allegiances to the *vomit* Ducks within the NHL, that's for certain. I might fall back on my 2nd or 3rd preferences (Stars or Caps) based on where I'd lived in the past.

As for hockey, I'd support the team that was in my town -- in the situations listed above, those markets would likely be stong candidates for AHL franchises moving in to backfill, and I'd root for the hometown team (even if they ended up being an affiliate of the hated Ducks).

I still follow the ECHL after the demise of the Gulls -- I don't have a passionate rooting interest any more, other than a general desire to see Western teams beat up Eastern teams.

Easton

Aug 7, 2005
I think I remember reading in Brodeur's book that there were some rumors of the Devils relocating to some other city early when the franchise moved to Jersey. I think after they hired Lamoriello and made the playoffs it was cool.

But yeah, I'd still support the Devils regardless of where they moved. If it weren't for CI or other options to get the games it would be much more difficult. The Devils are a unique team and I think it all has to do with their GM, Larmoriello. I dread the day he retires.

But if Bettman keeps incorporating more and more ridiculous changes every season, he'll threaten a lot of fan interest including myself.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I'd still watch, root, and follow the Panthers, but the Lightning would become my favorite. Have to follow the home team! Though, Orlando is only an hour away from Tampa, and over 3 from the Panthers...but I'm still in Florida.;)

Kuzmenkshow

Big smile, big hair, big time player
Jun 21, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Wouldn't be a diehard fan like I am now, and wouldn't watch them a lot unless they were on National TV.

When the Vancouver Grizzlies moved to Memphis, they still remained my favourite team. That may be because I don't follow basketball a lot:dunno: I like the Nuggets now though as my 2nd favourite team. Just because Iverson and 'Melo are basketball Gods. Even though 'Melo is a *****...hehehe

Really I wouldn't know the answer until it happened probably.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
They're still the same team, just in another city.

Sure you wouldn't be able to watch them as often or go to any games but you can still be a fan and cheer for them even if it's alittle more casually.

I can't even afford to go to NHL games as it is so if my team moved it wouldn't really matter to me. Although of course I'd like them to stay put if possible.

In Pittsburgh's case though, it's just not very possible and a move is probably best for the team. Hopefully the Pens get the Browns treatment and the city gets to keep the moniker/colors for a future team.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm in a slightly different position, as I'm in a minor-league city AND have lost my team already (the Gulls folded suddenly last season).

If the Kings (my NHL team) moved, I'm not sure if I would root for them or not -- I certainly wouldn't shift allegiances to the *vomit* Ducks within the NHL, that's for certain. I might fall back on my 2nd or 3rd preferences (Stars or Caps) based on where I'd lived in the past.

As for hockey, I'd support the team that was in my town -- in the situations listed above, those markets would likely be stong candidates for AHL franchises moving in to backfill, and I'd root for the hometown team (even if they ended up being an affiliate of the hated Ducks).

I still follow the ECHL after the demise of the Gulls -- I don't have a passionate rooting interest any more, other than a general desire to see Western teams beat up Eastern teams.

Like that will ever happen, Hans, you are not the first market to lose a team suddenly you know nor would Anaheim ever consider moving closer to home:)

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think I remember reading in Brodeur's book that there were some rumors of the Devils relocating to some other city early when the franchise moved to Jersey. I think after they hired Lamoriello and made the playoffs it was cool.

But yeah, I'd still support the Devils regardless of where they moved. If it weren't for CI or other options to get the games it would be much more difficult. The Devils are a unique team and I think it all has to do with their GM, Larmoriello. I dread the day he retires.

But if Bettman keeps incorporating more and more ridiculous changes every season, he'll threaten a lot of fan interest including myself.
Haven't the Devils been relocated twice already

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->