If you were the Blackhawks...

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
If I keep the #1--I would take Turris eventhough I have to wait for him;in reality though,the Blackhawks may be feeling pressure to improve the offense (especially PP) ASAP and fill the seats at the UC with more "show" --KANE being the avaialble and NHL ready (offensively) insertable NOW,might be Dale Tallon's priority choice ...

OR--Tallon might be throwing off that indication(even if he really wants Turris) just to see if PHI would try to trade up for KANE (assuming that is who they really want --for immediate insertion too) ;on the other hand,maybe Tallon would readily take KANE at #2 if PHI traded up to get TURRIS (if they feared that's who Tallon really wants)...

Thus Chicago is in the driver;s seat--it can wait any offers --possibly even from PHX to move up giving CHI the #3 +more...

Presumably the "price" to move up would involve either of those tyeams other first rounder as the sweetyener for the deal.

So Chicago could:

1.Take Turris or Kane at #1
2.Trade with PHI for #2 and #23
or
3. Trade with PHX for #3 and #21
or
4. Trade the #2 with PHX for #3 and #21 after they did the deal with PHI IF the player PHX wants is not picked by PHI at #1 and PHX wants him that much...

CHI thus could get 2-3 first rounders from these scenarios by trading down with those 2 teams...CHI knows it can get any of its 3 top choices in Kane,Turris or JVR
but we don't know which of Kane or Turris they covet most --or if the trade down
"quantity" value decision yields them JVR at #3 (assuming PHX wanted Kane or Turris at #2 whever PHI did not take at #1)...

Nobody knows how any of this will play out till draft day or if some other offer comes out of the blue which attracts Tallon's interest...

This is why there is so much pre-draft and maybe to be post-draft discussion of what the Blackhawks might do/actually do in this process..

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
As a Chicago fan i'm leaning towards Turris but i'd be happy with either Turris or Kane.

korpan44

Jun 1, 2007
IL
If Tallon can't get a NHL ready young center for the first (Nathan Horton) then I'd take Turris.
They're stacked with power fowards in Rockford.
Towes, Turris, and Kontiola in 09!

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
About a week ago, a lot of people would be saying Kane.
Fast forward to now that the combine's past and it seems like Turris is going to end up #1.
I think I'd go with Turris as having a 1-2 punch down the middle will be key to their organization.
He's considerably safer than Kane as well...

Then again, thinking that they climbed to #1, I wouldn't mind taking the one dimensional Kane and hope for the the best but considering everything, I feel it's Turris when the dust is settles.

EJG123

Jul 13, 2003
Prince George, B.C.
Visit site
I that JVR should get serious consideration. He may turn out to be the best overall player of the bunch. The #1 pick should be used to get the most value that helps the franchise in the long run. If Tallon can move down and get JVR and a pick or two thrown in....that is his best course of action. Kane and Turris may turn out to be good but I'd take my chances with JVR and another first in a heartbeat.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
What happened to Voracek? I heard he didn't do too well at the Combine, but is he still considered #1 overall material?

Although Voracek is in the mix of the top 4 forwards (Turris, Kane, JVR, Voracek), he never really possessed elite offensive potential skills to deserve a first overall so I don't know if he combine stats had an effect on his lack of being called the #1 in the draft.
The reason he's in the mix with the offensive elite players is because he's at worst going to be a 2nd line elite 2-way player while a guy like Kane is only one dimensional but could put up outstanding career numbers.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd go with Turris over Kane based on size, although I'd feel safer with Turris if he had been in the CHL.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
If Tallon can't get a NHL ready young center for the first (Nathan Horton) then I'd take Turris.
They're stacked with power fowards in Rockford.
Towes, Turris, and Kontiola in 09!

You forgot Bolland as well. Although if Chicago do pick Turris and Kontiola progresses well Bolland may well turn into a winger like he was for his time in London.

I'm preferring Turris now because teams win the Stanley Cup with 2 top centres. Not a 1st line and 2nd line centre but a 1a and 1b combination. Also there is the thing about if they pick Kane then all their scoring will be on one line and i have always liked to spread the scoring over the top two lines.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
while i agree on the potential
turris is 5'11 and about 170some lbs what is it about his size you covet ?

He's 6'1 isn't he? He's also only 17 (9 months younger than Kane) so it's not impossible that he could grow another inch. Also although he is very thin i'm sure as soon as he gets to UW they'll sort him out. Eaves is known to be a very strict coach when it comes to size/conditioning.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
He's 6'1 isn't he? He's also only 17 (9 months younger than Kane) so it's not impossible that he could grow another inch. Also although he is very thin i'm sure as soon as he gets to UW they'll sort him out. Eaves is known to be a very strict coach when it comes to size/conditioning.

nope 5'11 everywhere i seen listed, some are generous in listing him at 6' but the weight 165-170lbs isnt such an issue he will put on muscle over the next couple years (vinny lecavlier started in the nhl at 180lbs 6'4, and currently is 220)
not saying turris size is a knock on him. but dont understand why people say the like his size, his size isnt what is going to get him drafted or passed on

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad