If you love the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
You have to be angry at Don Waddell and Peter Laviolette.

They put politics ahead of pride in their country and put somebody they were familiar with in the starting role instead of the best available player.

Aleksandrs Nizivijs, Atvars Tribuncovs, and Herberts Vasiljevs embarrased our country and Laviolette's golden boy. This is one of the most disgraceful days in the history of USA hockey.

I wanted USA to win in the worst way, regardless of how I felt about Miller's exclusion. I never expected it to be this bad. I hope they turn it around, but one thing is for sure: these two won't be leading the team again.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Miller wasn't the goalie everyone knows him for now when they made up this team. Laviolette is the worst coach ever, yes, and this team is missing a few key points that are just as evident as ever in this game. Leetch not being there on defense is the single most discraceful mistake on the part of the these clowns running the team. Average age must be in the 30s and it shows. Grahame shouldn't be starting and Esche better be in net the rest of the way.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
Miracle80 said:
I think you are jumping the gun on this one. Jet lag is a killer, IMO USA reeked of jet lag and tiredness in general today.

No, they reeked of three career nothings beating "the best" goalie in the US like a rented mule.

I think DiPietro should start the next game, I'm not so sure Esche is any better than Grahame. At least DiPietro can pull a save or two out of his ***, which is what USA needs right now.

Also, Canada didn't seem to have any problems with "jet lag."

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Even though I'm definetly not a fan of USA Hockey, its just one game, the first game, its hard for north American teams to gel and make a bunch of adjustments, I don't think its time to push the panic button yet.

Roger's Pancreas*

sabresrat said:
No, they reeked of three career nothings beating "the best" goalie in the US like a rented mule.

I think DiPietro should start the next game, I'm not so sure Esche is any better than Grahame. At least DiPietro can pull a save or two out of his ***, which is what USA needs right now.

Obviously you didn't see or listen to Canada's game because they played just as poorly as the US did.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Choosing between Esche, DiPietro, and Grahame. Looks like a lose-lose-lose situation. That's the fault of Waddell. Maybe Miller wasn't as hot as he is now when they made the team, but Esche wasn't healthy, and DiPietro was flat out sucking. However, that is no excuse to lose to Latvia. I'm not knocking on Latvia, but to score only 3 goals against them is pathetic. I love ex-Shark Arturs Irbe, but something went wrong for him to completely shut down the US Olympic Hockey team.

Yes Canada played as bad as the US did, but did they lose? No, they won convincingly, at least on the scoreboard. Comparing the two performances isn't possible, because Canada spanked Italy despite playing a bad game, and the US lost to Latvia.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Panasonic Youth said:
Obviously you didn't see or listen to Canada's game because they played just as poorly as the US did.

I didn't see the US game, but Canada dominated Italy, they were never really in the game.

Vic Rattlehead*

Panasonic Youth said:
Actually, Canada dominated the second and third periods after they woke up. It was pure domination after the first on Canada's part.

Miracle80

Jan 30, 2006
Rochester, NY
sabresrat said:

From what I heard most of the USA team just arrived yesterday, due to the snowstorm we had in the east. I believe Canada arrived earlier and had a little more time to adjust and sleep (if I'm completely wrong let me know)

I'm not thrilled with the goaltending either, but I don't think we've seen the best of team USA. The Latvians seemed to be hungry and have a jump to their game, and Archie was typical Archie moments of brilliance.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ryan Miller was not picked because he was injured

How many times does this need to be said? Yes, Esche did get hurt, but it was only under his discretion that he could pull out.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
regardless, the fact remains: Canada played a poor game and still won 7-2. The USA played a poor game and tied 3-3. The States will be lucky to finish Top 5 this year, I said it before and you can quote me on it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
AvsGuy said:
regardless, the fact remains: Canada played a poor game and still won 7-2. The USA played a poor game and tied 3-3. The States will be lucky to finish Top 5 this year, I said it before and you can quote me on it.

The team wasn't good enough to begin with, regardless of who the goalie is.

It's a bit embarassing, a bit unexpected, but most of us here knew that Latvia wasn't a bunch of pushovers. Latvia is not a team who is just happy to be here like Kazakhstan and Italy are.

KH1

sabresrat said:
You have to be angry at Don Waddell and Peter Laviolette.

They put politics ahead of pride in their country and put somebody they were familiar with in the starting role instead of the best available player.

Aleksandrs Nizivijs, Atvars Tribuncovs, and Herberts Vasiljevs embarrased our country and Laviolette's golden boy. This is one of the most disgraceful days in the history of USA hockey.

I wanted USA to win in the worst way, regardless of how I felt about Miller's exclusion. I never expected it to be this bad. I hope they turn it around, but one thing is for sure: these two won't be leading the team again.

:banghead: Jesus christ I'm sick of these Ryan Miller threads. He's not on the team. Deal with it. The US can win with what they have--it's gonna take a helluva effort but they are good enough to medal. Just put your homerism aside for a few weeks.

As for Laviolette, the "worst coach ever," he's already won an AHL title, turned around the worst franchise in hockey at the time on Long Island and turned around another awful team in Carolina this year. In fact, if the season ended today he would probably win the Jack Adams.

The point is, if you are gonna rip on somebody at least make some sense.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
go kim johnsson 514 said:
Ryan Miller was not picked because he was injured

How many times does this need to be said? Yes, Esche did get hurt, but it was only under his discretion that he could pull out.

Esche had a nagging groin injury at the time of selection and Miller was 100% healthy.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
sabresrat said:
Esche had a nagging groin injury at the time of selection and Miller was 100% healthy.

Miller was injured with a wrist injury. at the time Esche was not going to miss a lot of time while Miller was out indefinetaly. I know this because I was at the Flyers game vs. Buffalo the night the team was announced and Miller was not even dressed and wasn't in the warm up.

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
King Henry I said:
:banghead: Jesus christ I'm sick of these Ryan Miller threads.

I'm sorry, this is a USA hockey thread. There's no need for your hatred of Ryan Miller to invade it. This isn't Lundqvist v. Miller, this is USA v. The World and how we can fix the problems we saw in our first olympic event.

KH1

rohan said:
Maybe Miller wasn't as hot as he is now when they made the team, but Esche wasn't healthy, and DiPietro was flat out sucking.

It wasn't about being hot or not, Miller wasn't playing. It's really pretty simple. And DiPietro was actually playing quite well at the point where he was selected--it's not a coincidence that until recently he was the assured starter.

Also, I have another question: Where did the perception of John Grahame as Laviolette's "Golden Boy," as suggested by sabersrat, come from? Has Laviolette even coached Grahame before?

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
Miller was injured with a wrist injury. at the time Esche was not going to miss a lot of time while Miller was out indefinetaly. I know this because I was at the Flyers game vs. Buffalo the night the team was announced and Miller was not even dressed and wasn't in the warm up.

Yeah, you are right. But Miller was projected to return WELL before the Olympics and had been playing very well before the injury. Esche has a nagging groin injury that still has not gone away.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/columnists/13865219.htm

sabresrat

Jan 30, 2006
Destiny
King Henry I said:
It wasn't about being hot or not, Miller wasn't playing. It's really pretty simple. And DiPietro was actually playing quite well at the point where he was selected--it's not a coincidence that until recently he was the assured starter.

Also, I have another question: Where did the perception of John Grahame as Laviolette's "Golden Boy," as suggested by sabersrat, come from? Has Laviolette even coached Grahame before?

Yep, in the AHL.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003

Wow. You sure about that?

A) Miller neever hurt his wrist.

B) Miller's 2-0 against Philly

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
King Henry I said:

Yes, they won a championship together in the AHL, I believe.

KH1

sabresrat said:
I'm sorry, this is a USA hockey thread. There's no need for your hatred of Ryan Miller to invade it. This isn't Lundqvist v. Miller, this is USA v. The World and how we can fix the problems we saw in our first olympic event.

:eek: You're accusing me of bias clouding my judgement? You?

I don't know what Lundqvist vs. Miller thread you're talking about, but I am talking about how you and a group of fans like you start 3 threads a day about how Ryan Miller is the best goalie in hockey and how the US are idiots for not making him the starter even though he's not on the team.

He didn't make the team because he was injured. He is not on the team now. He won't be on the team in 5 minutes. Stop it with the Miller love, it's gotten to the point where it's dowright annoying--especially when you start chiding other posters for bias.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
As a Bflo fan I'm glad Miller isn't there. Miller could let in three goals just as easily as any of those others. I also can see the logic in him not being there, there wasn't a heck of a lot of time to evaluate his play to see if he was ready.

I am disappointed with the team they iced though. This is crop of players is from a dry spell in USA hockey, and I was under the impression that a new young crop was coming up that they were going to ice for this competition. Who cares if they would have been inexperienced, put the young guys out there and see what they can do. They put guys like Chelios on the team for "leadership". Well, what about guys like Rolston and Drury? They could fill that role.

Dipietro has been playing pretty well lately, and perhaps he can steel a couple games. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->