If you had to bet on the Norris?

Norris?

• Total voters

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
I think it's between Hedman and PK with an outside shot for Doughty. I can't see EK, JC, Burns or Klingberg with any shot at it, maybe if one of them had 10-15 points over the competition but the point totals are close enough to give the edge to the playing a better 2-way game.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
...and some people say Pietrangelo isn’t underrated.
Agreed, he should be on the list and definitely ahead of some of the other names. Not sure he has a chance at it though, I think the top 3 are pretty much a lock at this point (PK, Hedman, Doughty) but if one of them falters Alex could creep in there. I believe PK has some kind of injury which has slowed him down, so he might not get many more points by game 82.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
subban shouldnt be the favourite

I legitimately don't think he has been better than Josi this season. Tied

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Hedman for sure. He's probably been the best overall defenseman anyways, but he also has that whole "due" thing going for him as well.

No Pietrangelo is bizarre.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
subban shouldnt be the favourite

I legitimately don't think he has been better than Josi this season. Tied

I think all 4 Preds Dmen had great stretches.... Ekholm at first, than Subban, than Josi, now Ellis. You can pick your favorite and can't be wrong.

What makes Subban's season impressive is the tough conditions he's been put in. Playing with Emelin most of the season, that's a big challenge.

I know it's a very small sample size, but look at Josi when he plays with Bitetto. He's far from bad, but he doesn't look quite as good as when he plays with Ellis or Ekholm. That's normal. Subban doesn't really look amazing with Emelin either. But the fact he had to carry him around almost all season long, that's an accomplishment in itself.

On top of that, Subban has a very high ratio of defensive zone starts, one of the toughest in the entire league.

As for the Norris though, his recent slump will probably prevent Subban from winning it. It will go to Hedman or Doughty IMO.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I have the exact opposite. Either choice should not draw too much criticism, both have been excellent this season.
I wouldn't really disagree if Hedman wins, but I think Subban has been worthy and I do acknowledge I'm biased a little. Hedman might be one of my top 3 favourite d-men, but Subban is my favourite.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I think all 4 Preds Dmen had great stretches.... Ekholm at first, than Subban, than Josi, now Ellis. You can pick your favorite and can't be wrong.

What makes Subban's season impressive is the tough conditions he's been put in. Playing with Emelin most of the season, that's a big challenge.

I know it's a very small sample size, but look at Josi when he plays with Bitetto. He's far from bad, but he doesn't look quite as good as when he plays with Ellis or Ekholm. That's normal. Subban doesn't really look amazing with Emelin either. But the fact he had to carry him around almost all season long, that's an accomplishment in itself.

On top of that, Subban has a very high ratio of defensive zone starts, one of the toughest in the entire league.

As for the Norris though, his recent slump will probably prevent Subban from winning it. It will go to Hedman or Doughty IMO.
I am so tired of reading this BS giving Subban sooooo much credit for playing with Emelin. Subban has played eith exactly 2 partners at 5v5 this season: Emelin (723.28) and Ekholm (413.85). Pietrangelo has played with a rotating cast of 5 partners: Bouwmeester (who has struggled with injuries all year and has frankly been much worse than Emelin...246.93), Gunnarsson (373.67), Edmundson (423.93), Dunn (120.23) and Parayko (66.67). Edmundson has been the closest to top pairing quality of those players this season, but even he is a young player still developing and making mistakes. Subban has been playing with Ekholm quite a lot lately btw. Pietrangelo has been WAY more handicapped by his partners and also plays WAY tougher QoC.

Folks love to mention Subban's zone starts and cite it as evidence of him playing tough minutes, but he does so against much weaker competition and it's not like the difference between Subban's and Pietrangelo's 5v5 ZSR is that huge (43.24 vs 46.97). Subban doesn't even play on his team's top pairing.

Now comparing their scoring, it's important to compare the scoring of the two teams. Nashville, as a team, has scored 231 GF good for 7th best in the league. Saint Louis, on the other hand, has scored a lowly 198 GF good for 23rd best in the league just above Edmonton and Ottawa. Looking at the players' PDOs, Subban is rocking a gaudy 102.32 at 5v5, while Pietrangelo's is 101.34.

Yet both players have near identical stats with each scoring 15 goals and Subban scoring 36 assists to Pietrangelo's 35, DESPITE the fact that Subban has played 4 more games on a much higher scoring team. Not to mention the fact that Pietrangelo has 5 GWGs to Subban's 2, while also scoring significantly more at 5v5. Pietrangelo is tied for 3rd in the league with 27 points 5v5. For the record, Karlsson leads with 31 and Klingberg is second with 28 5v5 points. PK's 22 5v5 points have him tied with 5 other players at 13th in the league.

I just don't see any logical argument for Subban having a better or more "Norris worthy" season than Pietrangelo...other than HF boards echo chamber nonsense.

Last edited:

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
It's also a crime that nobody ever mentions Suter's name in Norris conversations. I have him in my top 5 candidates this year.

Hedman
Doughty
Pietrangelo/Suter

toss up between guys like Jones/Subban/Klingberg/Carlson

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I am so tired of reading this BS giving Subban sooooo much credit for playing with Emelin. Subban has played eith exactly 2 partners at 5v5 this season: Emelin (723.28) and Ekholm (413.85). Pietrangelo has played with a rotating cast of 5 partners: Bouwmeester (who has struggled with injuries all year and has frankly been much worse than Emelin...246.93), Gunnarsson (373.67), Edmundson (423.93), Dunn (120.23) and Parayko (66.67). Edmundson has been the closest to top pairing quality of those players this season, but even he is a young player still developing and making mistakes. Subban has been playing with Ekholm quite a lot lately btw. Pietrangelo has been WAY more handicapped by his partners and also plays WAY tougher QoC.

Folks love to mention Subban's zone starts and cite it as evidence of him playing tough minutes, but he does so against much weaker competition and it's not like the difference between Subban's and Pietrangelo's 5v5 ZSR is that huge (43.24 vs 46.97). Subban doesn't even play on his team's top pairing.

Now comparing their scoring, it's important to compare the scoring of the two teams. Nashville, as a team, has scored 231 GF good for 7th best in the league. Saint Louis, on the other hand, has scored a lowly 198 GF good for 23rd best in the league just above Edmonton and Ottawa. Looking at the players' PDOs, Subban is rocking a gaudy 102.32 at 5v5, while Pietrangelo's is 101.34.

Yet both players have near identical stats with each scoring 15 goals and Subban scoring 36 assists to Pietrangelo's 35, DESPITE the fact that Subban has played 4 more games on a much higher scoring team. Not to mention the fact that Pietrangelo has 5 GWGs to Subban's 2, while also scoring significantly more at 5v5. Pietrangelo is tied for 3rd in the league with 27 points 5v5. For the record, Karlsson leads with 31 and Klingberg is second with 28 5v5 points. PK's 22 5v5 points have him tied with 5 other players at 13th in the league.

I just don't see any logical argument for Subban having a better or more "Norris worthy" season than Pietrangelo...other than HF boards echo chamber nonsense.
Because, like it or not, you have to be a playoff team to win the Norris.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Because, like it or not, you have to be a playoff team to win the Norris.
Who said Pietrangelo was going to win? I said he is a stronger candidate than Subban this season. Care to present an argument to the contrary?

But you're probably right, I mean, when was the last time a player whose team didn't make the playoffs even finished in the top 3?

OH WAIT, Hedman did it last season.

:eyeroll:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad