If you had to bet on the Hart...

kucherov or the field

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Hard to say... if Mackinnon wins the Art Ross it would be tough to not vote for him. And the way he’s playing right now, look out.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Hard to say... if Mackinnon wins the Art Ross it would be tough to not vote for him. And the way he’s playing right now, look out.

Agreed. Especially since it looks like the Avs have a good chance at making the playoffs. He literally has carried them all year long now

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Mackinnon vs the field would make more sense for a poll. Mackinnon probably wins that poll actually.

Reactions: stl76

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I don't even think Kucherov is the favorite right now.

Based on forum discussion and media hype, sure, it's the media who are voting and they will vote for whatever flavour of the month social media favourite to not get backlash now that they votes are made public.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Mackinnon. Kucherov's team is way too good without him for him to be considered more valuable to TB than Mack is to Colorado. Kuch is the better player but not the most valuable to his team. Colorado would be near the bottom without Mack, TB is still a playoff team without Kuch

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I thought leading the league in points on a top team = Hart but I guess not :shakehead

There are still 10 games left, and MacKinnon is only 4 points behind him(while having played 6 less games). You're being a tad premature with that prediction, and even if he finished at the top in points there are other considerations too.

At this point, it's probably MacKinnon's to lose. He absolutely could lose it with 10 games to play, but if Colorado makes the playoffs and he continues to tear it up, I think he dominates the voting.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
I think IF Mackinnon can stay within 5 points or so of the points race, and the Avs make the playoffs, it's likely to be his.

He has other factors going for him besides just "top producer on playoff team" which, IMO, give him the edge. I'd say those could be summed up as breakout season, good narrative (highly touted prospect goes from disappointing to world beating in one season), and probably the flashiest highlights of the MVP candidates.

I'm not saying these things should matter for MVP voting, but that's the way I think the voters will think. Similar to the whole "can a non-playoff team player win the Hart?" question.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At this point, I'd easily take the field.

Kucherov's lead in the Art Ross has closed enough that even if he holds on to win, it won't be like some of the massive leads prior (Kane in 2016, Crosby in 2014) that earned someone the Art Ross despite playing on strong teams.

Especially if MacKinnon can keep up his production and the Avs sneak into the playoffs, I can't see Kucherov beating him for the Hart if they're within 5 or so points of each other.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Not when there's a guy with a better ppg dragging a 30th place team last year to a possible playoff spot

What if the Avs does not reach the playoffs? Will he be the first non-playoff winner of the Hart?

My point is that there is no favourite.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
What if the Avs does not reach the playoffs? Will he be the first non-playoff winner of the Hart?

My point is that there is no favourite.

Judging by your two previous posts, you didn't really have a point, except to dismiss and deride any attempt to say Kucherov isn't the favorite.

Reactions: Weast

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
And MacKinnon isn't the flavor of the month. When he went down with an injury in, what was it, late January? Early February? Any way, people were already saying that it might cost him his chance at the Hart. Actually, I think many were saying it would cost him the Hart.

Which actually says a lot about how strong his play has been, then and now.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Judging by your two previous posts, you didn't really have a point, except to dismiss and deride any attempt to say Kucherov isn't the favorite.

Wrong assessment on your part. At this point I don't think anyone is the favourite but the poster I quoted said that Kucherov is not the favourite anymore, basically confirming that he thinks there is a favourite but it's not Kucherov.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Lemieux won it in 1988, while leading the league in points by a respectable margin. Pittsburgh just barely missed the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->