If you could only sign one of these players...who would it be???

you can only sign one of them this off-season, who would you rather have as a Hawks fan??

• Total voters

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Interested to see where this board is at - if we could sign one of these top FA's, who would it be? Would you even want one of them or just stick with the core/kids we have and hope we can add a few minor pieces here or there to plug some holes??

Any one of these guys could put us back to a playoff contender as long as Crow is healthy - and we are assuming he will be here - and yes Q is here, I know I know...

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Are you magically assuming there’s no cap difficulty here?

If so, I’ll take Tavares. All we need is one or two of the many dmen coming up to pan out, but there’s nobody like Tavares on the Hogs or elsewhere in the system.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Tavares would be the only FA that would sway me from option 4. He might be enough to turn this around right away. I’d have to imagine Kane would have as good or better production with him as Panarin.

Debrincat-Tavares-Kane
Schmaltz-Toews-Hinostroza
Saad-Anisimov-Sikura

That’s freaking sick but when you take Tavares out of it, it isn’t anything special IMO. He just puts everyone in the perfect slot, Schmaltz as a dynamic winger, Saad and Anisimov as a mismatch both physically and talent wise to everyone they face, Kane goes hog wild with his line. Toews, again, not relied upon as much anymore. Would certainly be nice to get Tavares.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Karlsson because that means: 1) Seabrook gets less ice time; 2) we'd finally have a QB on the power play; 3) a defensemen who can finally hit the broad side of a barn from the point; 4) watching Kane and Karlsson on the ice together would be a treat.

Reactions: Enyaw

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Are you magically assuming there’s no cap difficulty here?

If so, I’ll take Tavares. All we need is one or two of the many dmen coming up to pan out, but there’s nobody like Tavares on the Hogs or elsewhere in the system.
there isn't any cap difficulties with any of them - we could fit any one of these guys next year as long as cap hits 80 mil plus and Hossa on LTIR gets moved.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
If I know EK’s ankle isn’t a concern I go him, but since I’m not sure how worried I should or shouldn’t be about it I probably go JT.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I picked none.

I like Karlsson. He had a down year, to his standards, but he was beastly just a season ago. Provided his ankle wasn't an issue moving forward, he'd be a great add.

However, he'd cost a fortune to acquire and we'd have no guarantee that he re-signs.

Carlson is cheaper than Karlsson (both in cap hit and assets to acquire), but I think back to the last top RHD that we had (Seabrook). The guy had a killer shot, had a great stretch pass, and was just a great defensemen. But time got to him, and now he's a liability in most facets of the game. I just can't get the thought out of my head that Carlson would wind up the same way.

I'd love to sign Tavares. A center depth of Toews/Tavares/Schmaltz/Kampf would rival that of Pittsburgh. We've never had anything like that. He would instantly put us back in contention.

However, it still wouldn't fix our biggest issue (defense). We'd probably be better off signing BOTH of De Haan and Moore to help shore that up, signing a good, defensively reliable 4th line wing, a veteran backup, and still have more cap space than we'd have with Tavares signed.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Karlsson and it is not close for me. He fixes our pace, power play, and adds the need offense from the backend.

Yeah. The type of PMD that Stan has sought for years and who (unlike his draft picks) is less risk and more reward. Stan must be close to an orgasm knowing Karlsson is a possibility ... but at what price?

I must say though, that Karlsson and his press releases have not impressed me. Of course, the Sens owner probably has a lot do with Karlsson's attitude.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Karlsson carried the Senators to game 7 of the ECF in OT.. his best forwards were Ryan, Hoffman, Brassard and Turris.

Even though we are a bit rough on depth, I'd imagine he'd do great with Schmaltz, Debrincat, Kane, Saad (rebounded), and Toews.

Debrincat-Toews-Schmaltz-Kane
Karlsson

Top PP unit.

Last edited:

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
Hawks #1-2 priority should be defensive dman and a goalie (top pairing shutdown dman to replace Keith and there is no guarantee CC will be back and even if, that he could stay healthy, also he will be 34+ already ).
Hawks should not sign any new big, long term contract with players older than 24, Hawks can't improve much until those big NMC contracts expire so or so.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
there isn't any cap difficulties with any of them - we could fit any one of these guys next year as long as cap hits 80 mil plus and Hossa on LTIR gets moved.

Stan specifically mentioned today they don't want to make moves now that might preclude them from resigning the young guys (Debrincat, Schmaltz, etc) when the time comes.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hawks needbtocsitvthisb9ne out..do not have the cap room for Karlsson or Tavares .. And Carlsson would too up the cap so we have future problems non the Schatz and D-Cat extention a when the hit because we still will be albatross by Toes Keith and Seabrook contracts..

Best option for Hawks is to tank again next season ..v4cause 2919 draft is Loaded ..lots of great centre's compared to this draft ..And if we get lucky we get the best of the lit in Jack Hughes who us another Crosby ..So sit this one out. ..tank next seafpn when MCD will finally get it that Deans Keith and Toes are finished and the best option is tovrodecthem to last place so that we get a new generation of Super stats and not just kinda maybe stars in Schatz and D-Cat who might improve a lot and become e superstars but I doubt it..so just good players in a $5 million kinds range when we next he $7-$10 million types that actually produce to that pay level..Nay be by 4-6 years we will be Bke to get rid of 2 and 7 and Hossa in 3 years and the albatross will gave diminished
.we won 3 Cups but now pay heavily in albatross contracts and poor TOI for the remainder Der of the season Co tracts now turning retirement cp tracts with ever diminishing have returns. .Ee are not a "cp tender" so adding a superstar costing $12milluon per makes no sense at all...this fantasy idea has zero legs ..neither feasible cap -wise not logical given the state of our fall bnofv the cliff performers under contract for still so many years ahead.

We can ORAY there bus a lot lout and new CBA before the 2020/32 season begins and that would give us likely 2 compliance buy-outs of which Rocky has to pay 3/4 of the remaining money owed in cash over double the tears remaining. .so by then (2 more seasons played before this happens),we could buy out Keith who would be going on 37 and Seabrook who would be going on 35 and probably cannot even move at all anymore. .. (if you think he is slow now...imagine 2 more years tacked on )..Probably maybe they but-out Toes and that hefty Cao hit with 4 more to go but actually a lot less in cash owed since he got a lot up front and was paid hrftily the first 4 years of his 8 yr deal . AND so we would see at least 2 of these 3 off the roster in compliance buy-outs..But what if the players decide not to terminate the current CBA anday out the 202021 and 2021/22 seasons under the current deal . WE would then need to wait 2 more seasons to deal with with the 3 albatross contracts when compliance buyouts allowed again... At least the Hossa deal would have ended .

The point is we are getting nowhere near $6.875 from Sean ...nowhere near $5 .3 + cage from Keith and certainly only half clue from Toes and hi s $20.5 cost ...They are albatross contracts suckling the wind from NY thing Stan or any GM cN do to right this listing ship .We simply cannot afford a Tavares or Karlsson . So stop it...Immediately! such fanatics ate kool-aid for addled brains of befuddled hawks fans who fail to understand reality. .ain't gonna happen ..forget about it..

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
"The point is we are getting nowhere near $6.875 from Sean "

who the hell is Shawn?

This is why I think HF50 posts from a computer and not a phone but he is just f***ing lazy. "sean" equals "Seab" as n is right next to b on the keyboard. These mistakes are everywhere in his writing and why sometimes he makes decent points his mistake infested posts take too much effort to piece together most of the time.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is why I think HF50 posts from a computer and not a phone but he is just ****ing lazy. "sean" equals "Seab" as n is right next to b on the keyboard. These mistakes are everywhere in his writing and why sometimes he makes decent points his mistake infested posts take too much effort to piece together most of the time.
yep, and I have no idea why I spelled it Shawn lol!!! I think it is contagious...I figured it was Seabs with the cap hit, but had to bust some more balls here like you said, why post this shit for others to read if you are too damn lazy yourself to at least try and make it coherent??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad