If you could have one as both a player and later GM for your team who would you pick?

If you could have one as both a player and later GM for your team who would you pick?

• Total voters

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Steve Yzerman.png

vs.

Joe Sakic.png

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Sakic was the better player, but not by enough to make it past Yzerman the GM. Easy choice.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sakic was the better player, but not by enough to make it past Yzerman the GM. Easy choice.
That's a very definitive statement. Historically these two are as much of a wash as any two players can get, but I'm curious what has you saying Sakic was better. By the way, same response if anyone would dismissively say Yzerman was the better player. Like... what actually separates them?

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That's a very definitive statement. Historically these two are as much of a wash as any two players can get, but I'm curious what has you saying Sakic was better. By the way, same response if anyone would dismissively say Yzerman was the better player. Like... what actually separates them?
Sakic scored more despite playing less in the high-scoring era, was also a bigger part of his team's success. They might be each other's closest comparable, but not one and the same.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sakic scored more despite playing less in the high-scoring era, was also a bigger part of his team's success. They might be each other's closest comparable, but not one and the same.
The scoring thing is largely Bowman. No one on the Wings put up gaudy numbers anymore when he clamped down hard after the '95 and '96 playoffs. I'm going to need some enlightenment on how Joe was a bigger part to the Avs's success than Yzerman was to the Wings. That's not just something that can be stated as if it's a given.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Very nice poll.

Yzerman has a clear edge as GM and I think as a player was better by a hair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad