If you could choose ANY Dman for the rest of their career, who would it be?

see title

• Dahlin

• Doughty

• Subban

• Jones

• Burns

• Karlsson

• Hedman

• Pietrangelo

• Keith

• Josi

• McAvoy

• Provorov

• other (who?)

• Werenski

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Dahlin is generational. These types of players don't disappoint.

So he is guaranteed to be a the best dman in this league throughout his career and will immediately be ready to take over as a #1 dman? Being a generational forward is entirely different than being a generational dman. Lot of dmen do not ever adjust to this level, I don't care how good he is. I'll believe it when I see it up here consistently

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I went with Werenski just for age and the fit he'd have on the Flames. Thought about Jones but Flames are overloaded with righties.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
Dahlin carries the risk of someone who's never touched NHL ice before, but the reward justifies the risk. He's a good deal younger than most of the people on this list and yet has just about as much potential as any of them.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd take Jones as him and Rielly would be among the best pairings in the league at the old age of 23 and 24 signed on sweetheart deals for the next 4 years.

Hard not to choose Dahlin though.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Crazy that the guy that hasn’t even played an NHL game is winning this. Sure most likely he will be a star but if I can only take one, I’d take a known over an unknown

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Crazy that the guy that hasn’t even played an NHL game is winning this. Sure most likely he will be a star but if I can only take one, I’d take a known over an unknown
it's a tradeoff. with the unknown younger an extras decade. including 3 years cost controlled.

personally i seriously debated hedman vs dahlin. but an entire career of potenyially the best dman in the league is just too much to turn away.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
How anyone can chose a never played an NHL game player over Hedman, Karlson, Jones, or Josi is crazy to me.

I went with Werenski just for age and the fit he'd have on the Flames. Thought about Jones but Flames are overloaded with righties.
It's awesome to hear people say things like that as a Columbus fan because we finally have players and a team that people have admiration for in some ways.
I'd take Jones as him and Rielly would be among the best pairings in the league at the old age of 23 and 24 signed on sweetheart deals for the next 4 years.

Hard not to choose Dahlin though.
Imagine how lucky we feel having Z and Jones. Cheaper and younger then that. Both studs on this list.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I can see a vote for Hedman (in early prime with a long career ahead). I can see a vote for Jones (top 10-15, pre-prime). I can see a vote for McAvoy or Provorov (top 30, pre-pre-prime).

I can also see votes for Dahlin, sure. But to be in 1st place by double? Thats a lot for a d-man who has never played a game in the NHL. D-men, even elite looking ones like Dahlin are hard to project. It wouldn't be shocking to me if he turned out like Hamrlik or Jovocop level at all.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I can see a vote for Hedman (in early prime with a long career ahead). I can see a vote for Jones (top 10-15, pre-prime). I can see a vote for McAvoy or Provorov (top 30, pre-pre-prime).

I can also see votes for Dahlin, sure. But to be in 1st place by double? Thats a lot for a d-man who has never played a game in the NHL. D-men, even elite looking ones like Dahlin are hard to project. It wouldn't be shocking to me if he turned out like Hamrlik or Jovocop level at all.

I think it's because the hype around him (I did vote for dahlin) is that many are calling he is the best d prospect in decades.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He shouldn’t win but I’d take Hampus ahead of many if not most listed here.

Top 3 would be Jones/Hedman/Dahlin for me. Dahlin could easily be #1 with a bullet by this time next season, just would like to actually see him in the NHL first.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Dahlin

3 years of ELC and since he's a Swede, I see him signing another 8 years on a Swede deal

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
So say Dahlin gets 7 goals and 25 assists next year. Still winning this poll?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Voting Dahlin despite agreeing with most that he's too much of a gamble. The wise picks would Jones/Werenski/McAvoy.

BUT

The possibility of the Pens getting a generational player three generations in a row and the rage that would cause is too funny. So I'd have to take the gamble. Even if the wiser thing would be to take Jones to definitely supercharge the last remaining years of the Two-Headed Beast.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
I know we have been looking for a boat, but the box is so enticing. It could be anything. Even a boat!

Replace boat with Jones and box with Dahlin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad