Proposal: If we trade some of our D?

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
It look like we have 12 defensemen in our system who are potentially battling now or will do so in the near future for only 2/3 spots.

Probably we will trade someone for a good forward. Imagine we can only get draft picks in exchange and we need to trade now. What will be the price to pay ? How good our players are in your eyes ?

My guess :

Christian Djoos19942nd round pick
Tyler Lewington19945th round pick
Madison Bowey19953rd round pick
Colby Williams19957th round pick
Kristofers Bindulis19957th round pick
Chase Priskie19965th round pick
Jonas Siegenthaler19972nd round pick
Lucas Johansen19973rd round pick
Connor Hobbs19972nd round pick
Tobias Geisser19997th round pick
Martin Fehérváry1999late 1st round pick
Alexander Alexeyev1999top 1st round pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I see no need to trade youth for draft picks. You either upgrade the Cup repeat chasing roster or you’re just making deals out of boredom.

Even then, I’d prefer other prospects at forward in moving from our D depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
I see no need to trade youth for draft picks. You either upgrade the Cup repeat chasing roster or you’re just making deals out of boredom.

Even then, I’d prefer other prospects at forward in moving from our D depth.
Draft picks are only for estimation purpose. In real trades we need top players and other prospects.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Why??????? Season not half way over and Caps have already used 9 dmen this season (Carlson, Kempny, Niskanen, Orlov, Orpik, Djoos, Bowey, Seigenthaler, Lewingtion). Demonstrates the importance of defensive depth. Not long ago Caps were always in the market for d-depth come the TDL. This will be Orpik's last season in a Caps sweater. Niskanen, who just turned 32 will have two seasons remaining after this season and he's not frozen in time, his game will begin to decline. Niskanen along with Oshie should be made available for the next expansion draft. Due to Caps current d-depth, see no reason for them to look in that direction come the TDL, nor see the need or urgency in shedding some of the young d-depth at this time.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am cool with trading one or 2 that we have insider info on, that they likely won't make it within our org. I feel like eventually drafting d heavy, the shoe will have to drop, and some exchanged for equal aged forwards.

We should know which ones are least likely to succeed. Contact teams that have over drafted forwards, and see if we can't get a kid up front with upside. You know, a CENTER.

Many of the D won't be expected in the lineup anytime soon. and most won't pan out to more than a bottom pair. Trade one now before anyone realizes it. And before we kinda kill the value of our own players, by constantly drafting players better than them next year, and the year after that. We are likely stifling many, using top picks on D like AA Fehver etc.

We seem paper thin at future stud forward. A problem to kick down the road perhaps but if am a GM looking at a doofus like GMGM who over hoarded D, I am going to low ball him.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
When the Caps traded Connor Carrick I’d say they got about 3rd round value, traded him when his value was on the high end as he #7 on a good team and they needed an asset. When they traded Lepisto he was out of options and they had to trade him and got a 5th but he had offensive upside. I think Alexeyev is worth a 1st plus, Fehervary and Bowey a 1st or a little less, not sure about Lujo, Sieg a 4th, anyone else tops out at a 5th. But there’s little incentive to trade these guys because they don’t lose much in draft pick depreciation and they keep calling up guys.

Last edited:

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I'm sure we'll move 1 or 2 Dmen if developments and roster needs collide. It's the reason I never care about what position we draft so long as the player is worth the draft slot. Lot of hand wringing about that for no reason. I'm sure there's a team out there with lots of good F depth and needs at D. Plenty of time to let things work themselves out.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
If you are looking to get value for one of the defensemen, then look at moving Niskanen in a year or two.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wouldn't trade any unless there is a team calling ready to give up a better forward prospect for one. Defensive depth is extremely valuable at todays NHL. They are in no rush to fix their forward depth, either. There is always option to get old, cheaper bottom-6 player if there is need for that, and then draft forwards at the upcoming drafts.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I wouldn't trade any unless there is a team calling ready to give up a better forward prospect for one. Defensive depth is extremely valuable at todays NHL. They are in no rush to fix their forward depth, either. There is always option to get old, cheaper bottom-6 player if there is need for that, and then draft forwards at the upcoming drafts.

We have plenty of young (or middle aged), cheap bottom six players, thats maybe the one area we have no need for. Well that and young cheap 6/7 DMen.

This team at the NHL level really doesn't have any glaring holes that really need to be filled, except wherever Bura plays.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
If we talking about the D who's already in the lineup you gotta think of one of the 2-9 pairing. Orlov cant get anything going offensively, his defensive game returned to his early-Trotz levels and if things dont move in right direction come playoffs, they dont need that contract for 25 pts player with the worst +/- among the D. Niskanen on the other hand is on the wrong side of 30 and gets bamboozled on a regular basis this season. I still give him a little break for contributing something on the other end.

If we talking about younger players, I'd rather trade Bowey than Siegs/LuJo/Priskie/Djoos.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
We have plenty of young (or middle aged), cheap bottom six players, thats maybe the one area we have no need for. Well that and young cheap 6/7 DMen.

This team at the NHL level really doesn't have any glaring holes that really need to be filled, except wherever Bura plays.

Agreed. Just mentioned that there is an option for that without trading any of the D prospects, if the situation calls for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00