if we can agree on the top 5, who is 6-12 guarenteed

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think Plante is going to be a surprise. There is going to be somebody in the Top 15 to be infatuated with his size and potential skill set that will take him. It only takes one team to fall in love with a prospect like Plante considering his immense potential. Same thing goes for Nick Petrecki.

I actually think Shattenkirk will fall like Bobby Sanguinetti did last year.

Disagree on Shattenkirk. IMO, he could be the second defenseman drafted (after Alzner). He's had a good year, and an excellent U18s, peaking at just the right time.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Wow a lot of lists here are very different, I guess this year's draft is really that hard to predict. It's all about who you like more or less.

Personally, I don't like Alex Plante. Seen him play a couple of times and didn't like his skating ability or his decision making when he has the puck. His size is appealing, but with the new NHL a guy like Alex Plante isn't that important anymore. Look at Chara, his incredible size didn't really matter this year. I have him ranked early 2nd round.

Joakim Andersson I don't really like either. I think he's overrated. He's slow and doesn't seem all that strong for a guy his size.

Sam Gagner, too. Yes he's quick and has good skills but IMO he'll never be more than a marginal 2nd liner in the NHL that can't perform in the playoffs. Of course that's my opinion after seeing play a couple of times. I think there are better players than him for the top 10.

Surely a team will like one of these guys and pick them early, but this doesn't really mean that they are surefire NHLer. We'll see in a couple of years. Just for fun, here's my top 20:

01 Jakub Voracek
02 Patrick Kane
03 James Van Riemsdyk
04 Karl Alzner
05 Kyle Turris
06 Alexey Cherepanov
07 Logan Couture
08 Zach Hamill
09 Kevin Shattenkirk
10 Ryan McDonagh
11 Mikael Backlund
12 Sam Gagner
13 Keaton Ellerby
14 Maxim Mayorov
15 Lars Eller
16 Oscar Moller
17 Billy Sweatt
18 Colton Gillies
19 Angelo Esposito
20 Jonathan Blum

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i like your ranking. its important to have you own opinions and not just look at the ranking on tsn or whatever and just switch some of the players a couple of places. personally im very high on katic and torquato and i have no problem ranking them 12 and 21 even if ISS doesnt agree with me.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think Plante is going to be a surprise. There is going to be somebody in the Top 15 to be infatuated with his size and potential skill set that will take him. It only takes one team to fall in love with a prospect like Plante considering his immense potential. Same thing goes for Nick Petrecki.

I actually think Shattenkirk will fall like Bobby Sanguinetti did last year.

How can Shattenkirk fall like Sanguinetti did since he only recently has been considered a top 15 or so pick?

GNick42

Will Cherapanov slide because of no agreement with the Russian Federation

GNick42

This isn't a mock, there's players I'd have going a lot earlier/later then they are here in a mock (hell, I would have Esposito in my top 10 if this were a mock), that said here's my top 20:
1) Pat Kane
2) Jakub Voracek
3) James van Riemsdyk
4) Kyle Turris
5) Alexei Cherepanov
6) Logan Couture
7) Karl Alzner
8) Sam Gagner
9) Nick Petrecki
10) Zach Hamill
11) Keaton Ellerby
12) Alex Plante
13) Maxim Mayorov
14) Billy Sweatt
15) Colton Gillies
16) Joakim Anderson
17) Mark Katic
18) Brandon Sutter
19) Oscar Moller
20) Angelo Esposito

This is about one of the best ones I have seen yet...only thing I disagree with is I would switch Hamill and Sutter

jax00

DangleSnipe&Celly
Mar 3, 2007
Anaslime
Kinda offtopic

Who do you guys see the Ducks taking at 16th (assuming they use the pick) I know its offtopic, but I dont think it deserves a thread.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
How can Shattenkirk fall like Sanguinetti did since he only recently has been considered a top 15 or so pick?

Depends on what resources you use. Look at the posts that responded to mine other than yours. 2nd defenseman off the board was said by one. 2nd defenseman and 9th overall ranked for another poster.

I don't see him going off the board until the late teens, to be honest.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
This is about one of the best ones I have seen yet...only thing I disagree with is I would switch Hamill and Sutter

what do you mean by best?? do you mean similar to yours?? i dont think anyone has the "best ranking". its all a matter of who YOU think are the best players and everyone has different opinions,and no one will have the best ranking.

GNick42

what do you mean by best?? do you mean similar to yours?? i dont think anyone has the "best ranking". its all a matter of who YOU think are the best players and everyone has different opinions,and no one will have the best ranking.

Could only disagree with a little bit compared to most other people's. Going by mock draft and scouting agencies.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Wow a lot of lists here are very different, I guess this year's draft is really that hard to predict. It's all about who you like more or less.

Personally, I don't like Alex Plante. Seen him play a couple of times and didn't like his skating ability or his decision making when he has the puck. His size is appealing, but with the new NHL a guy like Alex Plante isn't that important anymore. Look at Chara, his incredible size didn't really matter this year. I have him ranked early 2nd round.

Joakim Andersson I don't really like either. I think he's overrated. He's slow and doesn't seem all that strong for a guy his size.

Sam Gagner, too. Yes he's quick and has good skills but IMO he'll never be more than a marginal 2nd liner in the NHL that can't perform in the playoffs. Of course that's my opinion after seeing play a couple of times. I think there are better players than him for the top 10.

Surely a team will like one of these guys and pick them early, but this doesn't really mean that they are surefire NHLer. We'll see in a couple of years. Just for fun, here's my top 20:

01 Jakub Voracek
02 Patrick Kane
03 James Van Riemsdyk
04 Karl Alzner
05 Kyle Turris
06 Alexey Cherepanov
07 Logan Couture
08 Zach Hamill
09 Kevin Shattenkirk
10 Ryan McDonagh
11 Mikael Backlund
12 Sam Gagner
13 Keaton Ellerby
14 Maxim Mayorov
15 Lars Eller
16 Oscar Moller
17 Billy Sweatt
18 Colton Gillies
19 Angelo Esposito
20 Jonathan Blum

i just love how you say that you don't like Gagner but you make him fall all the way to where the Habs should pick:sarcasm: .Anyways i think the Habs will be targetting a center this year and if Espo by any miracle falls all the way to us we'l pick him, if not i hope we'l draft Backlund, love his overall potential

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Why don't we try it addressing team needs, rather than just BPA rules? We already know draft position of spots 1-4.

1) Chicago Blackhawks- Patrick Kane, RW

- The Hawks already have Toews as a top shelf centreman in their system, but they lack true top end wingers. Jack Skille is good, but the jury seems to still be out as to his potential as a truly potent offensive force.

2) Philadelphia Flyers - Jakub Voracek, C

- Philly can use all the help they can get. The obvious choice is Voracek, as he is an established young talent with incredible upside. They have the likes of Steve Downie and Claude Giroux, but these guys aren't likely to turn into franchise players.

3) Phoenix Coyotes - James Van Riemsdyk, LW

- As Phoenix tries once more to rebuild, Van Riemsdyk would be a good place to start. After his showing at the U-20, Phoenix will definately be taking him as their top wing prospect is Blake Wheeler who isn't projecting as a first liner.

4) Los Angeles Kings - Alexei Cherepanov, RW

- The Kings are very deep in prospects, so they can take a BPA approach - and Cherepanov would certainly be that. His purely offensive talent will do well, especially when you consider the other young wingers they have (O'Sullivan, Frolov, Tukonen).

5) Washington Capitals - Karl Alzner, D

- Washington has good depth up front, but they could use a top-shelf defensive prospect. Their existing D corps is young as it is, but they could use someone with the potential that Alzner has in their system, and could a bruising duo if paired with Sasha Pokuluk.

6) Edmonton Oilers - Kyle Turris, C

- While the Oilers are already deep at centre, they won't be able to turn down the likes of Turris dropping to #6. While Schremp and Cogliano are already in development, they won't let someone with his talent go by.

7) Columbus Blue Jackets - Keaton Ellerby, D

- The Jackets, already stocked with young, talented forwards such as Nash, Zherdev, Brassard, and Picard, and with Rostislav Klesla not becoming the force they thought he would be, the Jackets will go for a solid d-man like Ellerby.

8) Boston Bruins - Sam Gagner, RW

- The Bruins have virtually no depth on the wings in terms of youth, and Gagner will be a good way to address that need. He could one day be a potent force on the wing of a guy like Patrice Bergeron, and could potentially be captain material one day... which would bring the leadership a lot of people feel has been lacking in Beantown.

9) St. Louis Blues - Angelo Esposito, C

- I don't think the Blues are going to be able to go past the potential upside that Esposito can bring. He's been dynamic and amazing at times, though his second year wasn't nearly as prolific as his first. Could he just be feeling the pressure of expectation? Possibly - but a strong development system could cure him of that.

10) Florida Panthers - Nick Petrecki, D

- While the Panthers are stacked in prospects up front with guys like Frolik, Stewart, and McArdle if he ever gets his game back, they lack bruising defenceman. Petrecki can be a physical force on the blue line, and could compliment the likes of Van Ryn and Bouwmeester once he makes the jump.

11) Carolina Hurricanes - Maxim Mayorov, RW

- The 'Canes are packed with defensive prospects, and boasting the likes of Eric Staal as their premier centreman for many years, they'll take a chance on the sometimes amazing, but sometimes complacent Mayorov.

12) Montreal Canadiens - Zach Hamil, C

- The Habs are going to need to find someone to take over for Koivu once his game goes downhill, and while they have top shelf wingers in the likes of Kostitsyn and Perezhogin, Hamill could be a great addition in the long term. While Higgins already projects to be a top 2 centreman, Hamil could solidify that for many years to come.

13) Toronto Maple Leafs - Logan Couture, C

- While the Leafs need wingers, Couture has played all 3 positions over his time, although he is a natural centre. However, with Steen playing more and more time on the wing, the Leafs will take the plunge with this guy and hope he can find the form down the road that lead some people to project him early on as a 1st overall.

14) Colorado Avalanche - Colton Gillies, C

- The Av's cupboard is bare in terms of prospects. I believe the Av's are in a BPA position with so few solid prospects in their system, so they will take whomever they feel is the safest bet to project at the NHL level. Gillies will be their man, and brings the tutelage of his uncle, Clark Gillies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Depends on what resources you use. Look at the posts that responded to mine other than yours. 2nd defenseman off the board was said by one. 2nd defenseman and 9th overall ranked for another poster.

I don't see him going off the board until the late teens, to be honest.

But that's just something as of late with him. He's just starting to rise. I think he gets taken in the late teens as well, but Sanguinetti was an extremely highly rated prospect who just free-fell on draft day. Shattenkirk really SHOULD be picked in the teens and he probably will. No one thought Sanguinetti would drop (besides a few people).

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
i like it. here is my top 30.:)

1. pat kane
2. james van riemsdyk
3. jakub voracek
4. alexei cherepanov
5. kyle turris
6. karl alzner
7. sam gagner
8. keaton ellerby
9. logan couture
10.kevin shattenkirk
11.nick petrecki
12.mark katic
13.zach hamill
14.maxim mayorov
15.angelo esposito
16.oscar moller
17.brandon sutter
18.joakim andersson
19.brett maclean
20.alex plante
21.zack torquato
22.billy sweatt
23.jonathan blum
24.ryan mcdonagh
25.thomas hickey
26.lars eller
27.mikael backlund
28.luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i
29.colton gillies
30.david perron

what do you think??

I'd say this list based too much on the U-18's performances.

Stajan Fan

Jun 20, 2003
Daysland, Alberta
Visit site
Link? I love it when people casually throw out statements like this.

I dont need a link, as I am taking a scouting course online and I talk to the chief scout of ISS, Mike Oke every week. He said it himself, that the consensus of scouts think Voracek has more upside than Kane.

Link? How's that for a link there buddy. I have connections and I'm 19 years old.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I dont need a link, as I am taking a scouting course online and I talk to the chief scout of ISS, Mike Oke every week. He said it himself, that the consensus of scouts think Voracek has more upside than Kane.

Link? How's that for a link there buddy. I have connections and I'm 19 years old.

where can i take this scouting course???????????????????????????

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

I love you, #57.

To me, Alex Plante at his peak=very poor Kurtis Foster. When I saw Plante, I saw a guy with good hands that can make plays on the PP when the flow is controlled and methodical. But besides that, I saw a guy who failed to keep up with shiftier forwards, had awkward N-S strides, and was nowhere near the defensive presence you'd expect a top defensive prospect to be. Definately not my type of defenseman.

As for Joakim Andersson, I will be honest and say I have not seen him, but beware of those slowdown playmakers. The Rangers are having a tough time getting Jarkko Immonen adjusted to the NHL. And the guy has pro skills. For every slow guy that finds a way to make things work at the NHL level, there's equally two struggling at a lower level.

Big Kov

Sep 16, 2002
Montreal
Visit site

loool. you didnt prove anything, you just made something else up for all we know. I knew Mike Oke was the chief scout without taking any courses, its right there in the "about us" section. :biglaugh:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Money well spent I see.......... :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad