If Toews is the top prospect then Jussi Jokinen is the league MVP.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
First off I need to clarify that I have nothing against Toews... looks like a great 2way prospect.
That being said, I think his shoot-out goals against the US have him being overrated by many. Yes, he is clinical on the shoot-out (or penalty shot) but so is Jussi Jokinen... as for the rest of his WJC's he was not the dominant force that we have seen from others in this famous tournament.

Again---NOTHING against Toews--- he was a top pick for a good reason... but I just don't think those shootout goals (as important as they were) should bump him over a Backstrom (absoluetley dominant over a half season against men). Heck, I would take an Okposo over Toews based on the NCAA season (though I understand JT was battling an injury).

For those of you that are a little slow... this is not a BASH thread...Toews just didn't blow me away with his play in the rest of the tourney. Good pick, just not the 2nd-coming of (_____________insert league superstar's name here).

Just my 2c... flame away

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I think colt has a point, Toews wasn't spectacular aside from the shootouts. Good, but not amazing. That's why I don't think he's going to make much of an instant impact in the NHL, he's not as good as Pittsburgh's Stall at this moment.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
i was never a toews fan myself, which is why i stayed away from all the hype.. if he does it in the NHL then well see... IMHO i saw him in the finals last year and nothing made me think "wow"... but who knows..

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I agree it shouldn't be based on the shootout/penatly shot performance, but its hard to argue with the rest of his tournament, not his points, but just his overall defensive and leadership performance was very good.

fitchcj555

Dec 13, 2006
McGuire is IN LOVE with him, he defintly broke up with Phaneuf. No question.

Forget Pierre's love of Toews. Did you hear how many "special" references Pat Kane got??? WOW! I think that broke Phaneuf's all time mark of 60382.

As for Toews the prospect....I'm not sure anyone can say right now. Everyone is blowing the shootout out of proportion, as impressive as it was. I think Toews played a very solid tournament as a whole. He looked strong on the puck and clearly was not afraid of the physical play. He took some real hard hits into the boards which did a number on his face, shoulder, etc and got right back up. That really impressed me. The kid can also finish, he picked the corner on a wicked wrister in one of the games.

There has been definate improvement from JT in the 2006 WJC's in Vancouver vs. JT in the 2007 WJC's and that is very good news for Chicago. Last year he looked like an unsure 17 year old who was trying to compete at a level he wasn't used to (much like Sam Gagner this year). I wasn't completely sold on him last year but he is going to be a very solid NHLer.

Will he put up monster offensive numbers? Will he be a bona fide NHL All-Star? Who knows. Maybe not. But his defensive game is superb and he is very responsbile overall. He wont' be in the WJC's next year. The red and white Maple Leaf is getting traded for a Hawk on JT's sweater.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
He is still going to become a 90 point forward in his prime who played a similiar style to a prime trevor linden.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I thought Toews played a great all-around WJCs.

He might never put up ungodly numbers in the bigs, but I could see him end up being a consistent top 15 scorer with the versatility and defensive acumen to do virtually anything the team requires, and the requisite leadership and determination to make sure it gets done.

He's not nearly as smooth as Backstrom, and his vision and anticipation are a notch below, but his physical play and defense are better. And his shot is much more impressive.

It wouldn't surprise me if he became the best player from this draft.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
agreed. I was going to post a similar post numerous times, but I figured it would create a firestorm. ; )

He looked pretty good, but I wouldn't put him at the same level of Backstrom.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
but his physical play and defense are better.
Judging only by WJC?
Because Backstrom isn't weak, and he plays defense very good. Even at WC.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
FirstToews had a injury so he cant notch big stats
Second:For the people who say that Backstrom is better...relax,fellas,the time will tell who is better...

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I agree with Colt to an extent. Toews has been over hyped since the tournament but he did get 3 game winning goals in 6 games which isn't to be sniffed at. He was also put out in pressure situations such as 5on3's and performed well. I don't think anyone can tell at this point who is going to be the better forward as it will take at least a few years to decide that. What i do know is that as a Hawks fan i am very happy with Toews and i'm sure that Washington fans are just as happy with Backstrom.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
Maybe in terms of talent, but right now, UND's best forward is Ryan Duncan and not just because he's leading the Sioux in scoring either

Toews is a much better all around player and it isn't even that close. Duncan is a great fit for college and he can score but he doesn't play all facets nearly as well as Toews.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Both Toews and Oshie have played hurt in the first half of the college season, so it's hard to judge them based on the last few months. Most of the North Dakota observers I know believe Toews has passed Oshie.

As for Toews at the WJC, his shootout goals were not the most impressive thing to me. His play every shift in the medal round games was. He pretty well dominated those two games.

ARS

Apr 26, 2004
Ottawa
Misleading thread title for the loss? I don't think anyone here is claiming Toews to be MVP because of that shootout. He did have 7 points and it may surprise some of you to know that those weren't from the shootout. If anything, the most spectacular thing about Toews was his 2-way game, not only was he an offensive threat when he was on the ice, he also was responsible defensively, he was playing like a responsible NHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad