If theres a Draft who will be the top Teams to have a shot at CROSBY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Leafaholix said:
And some of those teams that are fighting to stay alive don't deserve Sidney Crosby.

Piss poor managing of players and money has led them to ****... and if it's gone on for so long, I don't see why they deserve a place in the NHL.

You're pretty much a joke when it comes to this. Crosby should go to the team that needs him the most. And if that's solved through a lottery or what have you, fine, that's the way it'll work. It is the only way that's fair.

How can you make the judgement that some teams "don't deserve Crosby"? Why would a playoff team, with tons of money, with a gigantic following, and a decent amount of talent 'deserve' Crosby more? The rich shouldn't get richer. And all the garbage about him not needing to go to an expansion team or a franchise without tradition is really a joke, what kinda league are you looking to support? I mean, Crosby has to go to a team that really needs a face and someone to create a spark of interest in that area. It's for that reason that a place like Chicago, NY, heck, Nashville, Washington (5th largest TV market), Carolina, Pittsburgh and so forth needs a player and rightfully deserves a player like Crosby to hopefully make the franchise successful.

It would be an interesting NHL some of you would imagine, if you had your way. It would probably end up being about 5 teams total.

And your jest about teams ending up where they are on purpose or through mismanagement is ill-founded. The Caps did break down what they had going, but pretty much every hockey analyst will agree it had to be done. A team wasn't winning, was losing 25million plus, was getting older, and had no real shot of getting better unless Leonsis spent another 20 million, had to be blown up.

leafaholix*

Not to offend some fans, but Carolina deserves nothing.

Markets that don't deserve NHL teams don't deserve squat. If it weren't for that little crazy American running the NHL, we wouldn't have 4 to 6 unneccessary organizations in the US and the game wouldn't be so ****ed up.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I think Crosby should go to a city that has dedicated fans and will appreciate him more.

Why send him to a team in a crappy market when the fans won't appreciate him? So we can see the franchise fold and then he can have all those great memories of playing hockey for people who didn't care about him? So he can never truly play on a team his whole career and be known for his legacy?

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
well teams like carolina chicago etc that have next to no one in fans should NOT get crosby just the fact that hockey isn't big in those citys and i doubt the public would really care if they even got home..
why waste good talent on disgusting teams that no one cares about :)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Out of curiosity, how exactly would this fantasy of some of you play out . . . 'he should go to a team where fans would love him more, which should be obvious to everyone as (fill in the name of the team that the poster roots for).'

Do we have fans send hallmark greeting cards and count them up to quantify this 'love quotient'? Oh, how about attendence figures which really is fair considering that some of you have payrolls four and five times or more than the payrolls of those teams that you all are spitting on here are patting yourselves on the backs for going to games with all stars at every position. Bad Chicago fans, bad Carolina fans, who are not dumb enough to pay major league prices for minor league talent. Actually we here in the burgh, despite ending up last or near last the past two years have had middle of the road attendence, so dumb us. And you want to reward the teams' fans who have made the 'great' sacrifice of having good attendence for teams with approaching $100 million dollar payrolls . . . . :lol

Good for you all, give yourselves medals.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
J17ster said:
Rangers or the Coyotes are average teams but for sure as hell aren't Pittsburgh.

Projected Phoenix line-up:

Hull-Comrie-Doan
Nagy-Nedved-Kolanos
Saprykin-Ricci-Johnson
Nash-Rupp-Cleary

Morris-Gauthier
Mara-Hulse
Tanabe-O'Donnell

Boucher
Johnson

Projected line-up of division favorite SJ:

Sturm-Marleau-Dimitrakos
Ekman-McCauley-Korolyuk
Thornton-Primeau-Cheechoo
Smith-Goc-Michalek

McLaren-Hannan
Rathje-Preissing
Stuart-Davison

Nabokov
Toskala

Phoenix isn't too far off there. If there were to be a season Phoenix would be nowhere near the top ten in draft order. Barring, of course, any major disasters.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Jaded-Fan said:
Out of curiosity, how exactly would this fantasy of some of you play out . . . 'he should go to a team where fans would love him more, which should be obvious to everyone as (fill in the name of the team that the poster roots for).'

Do we have fans send hallmark greeting cards and count them up to quantify this 'love quotient'? Oh, how about attendence figures which really is fair considering that some of you have payrolls four and five times or more than the payrolls of those teams that you all are spitting on here are patting yourselves on the backs for going to games with all stars at every position. Bad Chicago fans, bad Carolina fans, who are not dumb enough to pay major league prices for minor league talent. Actually we here in the burgh, despite ending up last or near last the past two years have had middle of the road attendence, so dumb us. And you want to reward the teams' fans who have made the 'great' sacrifice of having good attendence for teams with approaching $100 million dollar payrolls . . . . :lol

Good for you all, give yourselves medals.

If it's between Carolina, NYR, Washington, and Pittsburgh, I'm rooting for the Guins.

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
If you do it solely based upon total points in the past few years, here are the top ten for each season. Tie breakers were awarded to the team with the fewer wins.

Of course if they did use a method like this, it would probably be weighted so that more recent crappy years mean a lot more.

2 Year Data (2003-2004):
1 Pittsburgh
2 Columbus
3 Carolina
4 Chicago
5 Florida
6 Phoenix
7 NY Rangers
8 Washington
9 Atlanta
10 Buffalo

3 Year Data (2002-2004):
1 Columbus
2 Pittsburgh
3 Florida
4 Atlanta
5 NY Rangers
6 Carolina
7 Chicago
8 Nashville
9 Washington
10 Buffalo

4 Year Data (2001-2004):
1 Columbus
2 Atlanta
3 Florida
4 Pittsburgh
5 NY Rangers
6 Chicago
7 Anaheim
8 Nashville
9 Carolina
10 Minnesota

5 Year Data (2000-2004):
1 Atlanta
2 Florida
3 NY Rangers
4 Pittsburgh
5 NY Islanders
6 Tampa Bay
7 Chicago
8 Nashville
9 Anaheim
10 Calgary
(Minnesota and Columbus don't exist here)

7 Year Data (1998-2004):
1 Tampa Bay
2 NY Islanders
3 Florida
4 NY Rangers
5 Chicago
6 Calgary
7 Anaheim
8 Carolina
9 Pittsburgh
10 Montreal
(excludes Columbus, Minnesota, Atlanta and Nashville )

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
rt said:
Projected Phoenix line-up:

Hull-Comrie-Doan
Nagy-Nedved-Kolanos
Saprykin-Ricci-Johnson
Nash-Rupp-Cleary

Morris-Gauthier
Mara-Hulse
Tanabe-O'Donnell

Boucher
Johnson

Projected line-up of division favorite SJ:

Sturm-Marleau-Dimitrakos
Ekman-McCauley-Korolyuk
Thornton-Primeau-Cheechoo
Smith-Goc-Michalek

McLaren-Hannan
Rathje-Preissing
Stuart-Davison

Nabokov
Toskala

Phoenix isn't too far off there. If there were to be a season Phoenix would be nowhere near the top ten in draft order. Barring, of course, any major disasters.

You made some very good points, but the two things that could very easily keep the Yotes in a bottom 5 spot is goaltending and chemistry. The Yotes have the worst goaltending tandem in the NHL (IMO), and they have had a lot of roster turnover which can lead to a slow start. This would be devastating in a shortened season.

My bottom 5:

1) PITT: strong finish doesn't mask young roster (although Recchi might help) and goaltending issues
2) WASH: Another young roster without VET's to show the way. They do have a more established goaltender, which might give PITT the edge.
3) CAR: Depends on Gerber, how young offense (Staal, Vrbata, Cole, etc) gels, and how O'Neil returns from injury. A LOT of questions marks!
4) CLM: Another young team that could move up if young guys continue to develop, but it seems too early to expect that to happen IMO.
5) CHI: Depends on how guys come back from injury (Daze, Ruutu, Daze) and a VERY young team, although UFA signing of Cullimore, Brown and Barnaby might provide some veteran leadership.

Other potential contenders:

5) ATL: Depends on Heatley's legal situation and how Lehtonen does over a long stretch
6) FLA: New coach, GM & a young team mean big ?'s IMO. A lot will depend on Luongo & blueline gelling (WTF was up with signing Karpotsev?!?!?)
7) LA: Will likely be a VERY young team. Not sure if they will be as competitive as last year.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Kardi said:
well teams like carolina chicago etc that have next to no one in fans should NOT get crosby just the fact that hockey isn't big in those citys and i doubt the public would really care if they even got home..
why waste good talent on disgusting teams that no one cares about :)

I'd like to see him go to Chicago actually.

Original 6 team that needs help bringing the fans back.

I agree with you regarding Carolina though.

Reilly311

He goes to whatever team has the 1st overall pick. Quit crying.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
McDonald19 said:

I agree with you regarding Carolina though.

Wirtz doesn't deserve Crosby. He has driven fans off, not the on ice product. When you can't even see your home games on TV... :shakehead Well, there's just something wrong with that.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
But that's exactly what you did, LOL. You set up an unusual and selective set of parameters that favor particular teams that under more conventional methods would not have the odds in their favor (nor should they).

Why shouldn't the teams who've never had the first overall pick not have a better chance at getting it? So many people are crying about the draft and acting like they'll die if we wait until the end of next season to hold two seperate drafts. I'm suggesting a way to make it fair. Holding a weighted lottery amongst the teams that have been the worst in the past 5/10 years isn't fair- they've already gotten the oppurtunity to select the best talent available. Similarily, you can't do a lottery with every team included- people will complain that certain powerhouse teams don't deserve to have the same right as weaker teams at getting the first overall selection because they don't need it.

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
becouse the point of weighting the draft order isn't to make sure that everyone gets to have a shot at the number one pick, it's to make sure that weeker teams get a better shot at improving themselves.

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Hey Guys, just so you can all stop arguing, we will take him off of all of your hands here in Buffalo, after all many Canadian hockey players end up living here anyway because of lower taxes and proximity to Canada. Thanks for your cooperation.

SwOOsh*

A good scientific method would be to have the draft order determined by reverse-alphabetical order of the teams.

Vic Rattlehead*

Leafaholix said:
Why should a team like Pittsburgh or Washington get the 1st pick?

Because they're bad on purpose?

Sorry, but you can't reward the ultimate prize to organizations that voluntarely suck.

I'd prefer Sidney to either stay in Canada where he's appreciated by more than a couple hundred hockey fans... or go to a team like New York or Chicago, where there's a history of hockey and tradition.

Sidney Crosby in a Nashville, Anaheim, Carolina, etc... jersey looks WRONG.
Boston? Oh I wish.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
McDonald19 said:

They do have Ruutu.

(Reality Bileur) I hope he goes to Pittsburgh.
(Homer/Dreaming Bileur) He'll obviousely go to the Sens as a free agent, because TOR is MTL's rival but the sens are a smaller market than MTL (less media scrutinty), the sens could also pay him as well as anyone else AND are a (serious) cup contender.

Strakakis

Apr 4, 2004
Montreal
Pens 2005-06

Lemieux - Malkin - Crosby
Whitney - Orpik
Fleury

:handclap:

Crosby would be smart to pick a non-contending team if he wants to fully develop. BESIDES, his idol is Mario :)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Strakakis said:
Pens 2005-06

Lemieux - Malkin - Crosby
Whitney - Orpik
Fleury

:handclap:

Crosby would be smart to pick a non-contending team if he wants to fully develop. BESIDES, his idol is Mario :)

Actually, seemingly more and more likely as this drags on:

Lemieux - Malkin - Crosby/Brule
Whitney - Orpik
Fleury

.......... everyone seems to forget that Brule is the concolation prize here, and a none too shabby one. Add in a lowered rookie salary cap, and likely some restrictions on salaries and FA for a few years anyways to allow teams to keep players for some time anyways, and the above looks pretty sweet, even if we lose Crosby. If we win him . . . wooo hooo, icing on the proverbial cake.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
xander said:
The rangers don't suck? Can you tell me exactly what they've done to improve themselves since finishing as the 6th worst team in the league last year? Micheal Nylander? Give me a break.

In recent years they haven't sucked as bad a sother teams. If the Rangers suck than Pittsburgh are the worst team of all time in any sport.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
If there is a short season this year the capitals will likely be the worst roster fielded...They'll have only a few veterans and mostly young players. I think Pittsburg will likely be a little better. Plus Kolzig will likely be traded at the trade deadline.

I think Crosby going to a franchise that doesn't have an uber tradition in hockey would be great because it could start one.

The capitals won their lottery with Ovechkin. Kind of insane to imagine scoring Crosby as well, lol. Imagine the screams if that happened :joker:. But I think the top 5 prospects next year look great so regardless they'll get a good prospect.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
usiel said:
If there is a short season this year the capitals will likely be the worst roster fielded...They'll have only a few veterans and mostly young players. I think Pittsburg will likely be a little better. Plus Kolzig will likely be traded at the trade deadline.

I think Crosby going to a franchise that doesn't have an uber tradition in hockey would be great because it could start one.

The capitals won their lottery with Ovechkin. Kind of insane to imagine scoring Crosby as well, lol. Imagine the screams if that happened :joker:. But I think the top 5 prospects next year look great so regardless they'll get a good prospect.

If there is a season, shortened or not, my thoughts regarding the Pens are completely reveresed. They were one of the hottest teams the last quarter of the season with only a small handful of teams having a better record and really seemed to click with the addition of Jackman on the PP. Add in Fleury, etc, and I do not see the Pens finishing near last place.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
usiel said:

I like the way you think. Traditions have to start somewhere! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->