Washington Capitals
Pittsburgh Penguins
Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Phoenix Coyotes
New York Rangers
Florida Panthers
Carolina Hurricanes

One of those teams. If there is a season. I'd count Pheonix out. Otherwise, it depends on how they set up the draft. They said that will have to be negotiated by the NHL and NHLPA once the CBA is signed.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Yaah if theres no season UFA'S

I hear if theres no season all the players will be Unrestricted, imagine the leafs signed Crosby, that would be exciting, I hope atleast he goes to a canadian team.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Honestly I dont see the NHL letting that happen even if the season is canceled. It would totally screw everything up. Then you would get a ton guys wanting to play for the same teams and other teams left with nothing. Makes no sense.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
tuckerdomi said:
I hear if theres no season all the players will be Unrestricted, .

no all they have to do is write it into the new CBA that players that would have been in the June 05 draft would not be UFA's and instead will be in a draft on whichever date they chose to make.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
jcpenny said:
Honestly I dont see the NHL letting that happen even if the season is canceled. It would totally screw everything up. Then you would get a ton guys wanting to play for the same teams and other teams left with nothing. Makes no sense.

The NHL doesn't decide it. The courts do.

With no CBA, there's no draft. Somebody (not necessarily Crosby, in fact I predict it will be someone further down the list) will challenge the legality of the draft.

Darkhorse candidate to nab Crosby? The Minnesota Wild. Lots of room in their budget. Doug Risebrough is a former protegé of Glen Sather (the man who kept Gretzky).

Watch.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
no all they have to do is write it into the new CBA that players that would have been in the June 05 draft would not be UFA's and instead will be in a draft on whichever date they chose to make.

A retroactive decision like that could be interpreted as collusion.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The Maurice Clarett case sets a fairly clear precedent than non-union members have no legal standing to challenge collectively-bargained, agreed-upon rules of entry into professional sports leagues.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Epsilon said:
The Maurice Clarett case sets a fairly clear precedent than non-union members have no legal standing to challenge collectively-bargained, agreed-upon rules of entry into professional sports leagues.

Aha, but in the abscence of a collectively bargained agreement, is that rule enforcable?

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Bicycle Repairman said:
Aha, but in the abscence of a collectively bargained agreement, is that rule enforcable?
They would need one before they can sign free agents, wouldn't they? Wouldn't they be treated as normal free agents?

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Bicycle Repairman said:
If there's no parameters, then indeed it's a free-for-all.
Hmmm... interesting. So technically, could NHL teams go after underage players without CHL or Euro league contracts as of right now?

Edit: Talking about 2006 or later draft eligible prospects.

Reilly311

He'll go to Pittsburgh and resurrect that franchise again like Mario did...If they get a new arena... :cry:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Bicycle Repairman said:
A retroactive decision like that could be interpreted as collusion.

NHL and NHLPA can do whatever they want when they make their CBA.

Lets hope it happens before June 05 anyways.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Can we not get the garbage he'll go to Montreal, or Ottawa, or Toronto, or Detroit, or whatever posts?

He's going to probably go to a bad team now. Like he should.

And even if there is no CBA, he can't be signed. There is a "lockout" meaning, the Owners are not going to break the lockout and sign free agents.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Possible teams:

Columbus Blue jackets
Washington Capitals
Florida Panthers
Pittsburgh Penguins
Atlanta Thrashers
Chicago Blackhawks

Pittsburgh have been terrible for a couple of years. Florida have had #1 pick twice in three years and Atlanta/Columbus have been consistently terrible. Washington actually haven't been that bad until lasy year.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Zoo said:
Pens
Hawks
Caps
Jackets
Rangers
Canes
Coyotes
Panthers
Why are people selecting the Coyotes and not teams like the Thrashers. The Coyotes aren't a great team but are not consistently at the base of the standings.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
J17ster said:
Why are people selecting the Coyotes and not teams like the Thrashers. The Coyotes aren't a great team but are not consistently at the base of the standings.

Beacause the THRASHERS arent a bad team anymore. They wont be at the bottom of the standings...let me also thank you for not inculding the rangers on your list..im glad you have faith in our team filled with AHL players and Jagr. :)

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I thought it would make sense if the NHL did a weighted lottery as such:

1st overall pick:

Edmonton (124/700)
Anaheim (84/700)
Calgary (84/700)
Minnesota (84/700)
Nashville (84/700)
Carolina (40/700)
Chicago (40/700)
New Jersey (40/700)
San Jose (40/700)
St. Louis (40/700)
Vancouver (40/700)

Calculated by giving each team 1 point per round they've historically never had a pick, then multiplied so that there are 700 balls in the tumbler.

Here's a slight variation, done by awarding points per round on a sliding scale (3-2-1), thus granting those who haven't had first overall picks more of a chance at getting it (out of 850 balls):

Edmonton (124/850)
Anaheim (84/850)
Calgary (84/850)
Minnesota (102/850)
Nashville (84/850)
Carolina (62/850)
Chicago (62/850)
New Jersey (62/850)
San Jose (62/850)
St. Louis (62/850)
Vancouver (62/850)

In both scenarios, the Oilers have the highest chance of winning the 1st overall pick. And that's not homerism talking- they've never had a top 3 pick in the history of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad