If the Wings get the #3 Pick

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
We really should combine all these into one topic.

Also, this is a ridiculous question.

The top 3 are set in stone. If you are #3 and Zadina was taken at #2, you go Svechnikov. If you are at #3 and Svechnikov is gone, you go Zadina.

I think it would be a mistake to pass up either of those two. If I'm 3 and really don't want Svech or Zadina, I call the guys at 4, 5, and 6 to see if they are interested in moving up for a price... or listen to their calls if they're banging down the door and then I take the D I want at 4,5, or 6.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We really should combine all these into one topic.

Also, this is a ridiculous question.

The top 3 are set in stone. If you are #3 and Zadina was taken at #2, you go Svechnikov. If you are at #3 and Svechnikov is gone, you go Zadina.

I think it would be a mistake to pass up either of those two. If I'm 3 and really don't want Svech or Zadina, I call the guys at 4, 5, and 6 to see if they are interested in moving up for a price... or listen to their calls if they're banging down the door and then I take the D I want at 4,5, or 6.

That'd be my path. Ending up with the 3rd pick would be somewhat irritating, really. I like Svech quite a bit more, but Zadina is probably too good to pass up in favor of one of the lower ranked D we'd be likely to grab in the 5-8 spot we're more likely to pick in.

Reactions: Red Stanley

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Svechnikov and Zadina are simply a cut above the defensemen. You've gotta go BPA when the difference is so high. All of the defensemen have an issue with their game that could prevent them from being elite, Hughes' and Boqvist's size, Bouchard's skating, Dobson has no glaring holes but his true ceiling is unknown.

Zadina and Svechnikov have no issues that will really get in their way of being an elite winger. Both are strong skaters and have good shots and hands. I would go as far as saying they would go above Nico and Nolan in last years draft.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think there's no way Zadina goes before Svechnikov. Anyway, I'd take Svechnikov before Boqvist, but Boqvist before Zadina. Zadina is more of a sure thing, but Boqvist has ridiculous upside. He's the guy most likely in the draft to improve, and he's already very good. Add in the fact that he plays a very in-demand position with a very in-demand style and... how could you not?

Last edited:

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
I think there's no way Zadina goes before Svechnikov. Anyway, I'd take Svechnikov before Boqvist, but Boqvist before Zadina. Zadina is more of a sure thing, but Boqvist has ridiculous upside. He's the guy most likely in the draft to improve, and he's already very good. Add in the fact that he plays a very in-demand position with a very in-demand style and... how could you not?
I agree with you on Boqvist. Hes so young and has incredible upside. I'm really hoping he falls to us.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
That'd be my path. Ending up with the 3rd pick would be somewhat irritating, really. I like Svech quite a bit more, but Zadina is probably too good to pass up in favor of one of the lower ranked D we'd be likely to grab in the 5-8 spot we're more likely to pick in.

I'd take Svetch if available. Otherwise trade down for one of the lower tier defensemen + the added asset(s).

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
This is has been on my mind a bit lol

Svechnikov seems to bring more to the table as a forward than Zadina and I don’t have him as good of a fit on the Wings given our needs on defense. Once Dahlin and Svechnikov are off the board I hope the Wings go for a defenseman.

If we got pick 3 I’d wanna take Boqvist and it sucks we have a low chance at 5 cause I bet he’s gone by then.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If Montreal remains 4th and we pick 5th we are pretty much guaranteed to get boqvist, or whichever dman our scouts like most.

The top 3 are set, and Montreal goes Tkachuk or Wahlstrom

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
If Montreal remains 4th and we pick 5th we are pretty much guaranteed to get boqvist, or whichever dman our scouts like most.

The top 3 are set, and Montreal goes Tkachuk or Wahlstrom

I could see the Habs taking Tkachuk or Wahlstrom but I wouldnt be banking on it either. Theyre the second tier wingers, they could just as easily take a dman

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I could see the Habs taking Tkachuk or Wahlstrom but I wouldnt be banking on it either. Theyre the second tier wingers, they could just as easily take a dman

I promise you there are NHL teams that have people with Tkachuk in front of Svechnikov and Zadina. Button isn't a lone wolf there, scouting departments are going to like guys differently than the group think, we see that every single year.

Reactions: BinCookin
Jul 30, 2005
I promise you there are NHL teams that have people with Tkachuk in front of Svechnikov and Zadina. Button isn't a lone wolf there, scouting departments are going to like guys differently than the group think, we see that every single year.
Absolutely. Button is not the exception, he's the rule.

I think there's a misconception about how scouting agencies like ISS or whomever work. The lists they put out are not just one guy, and this is how he feels about all players. They're like Bob McKenzie's lists, where scouts' opinions are averaged. So you have a whole bunch of scouts with strong opinions, like Button, and they all put in their two cents, and it's averaged. That's how you get the list. But no one scout ends up agreeing with that list exactly. So when we criticize Button for not hitting the averaged list, we're putting him to a standard basically no scout meets.

But it's a nifty thing. The guys who love certain prospects probably love them a little too much, and the guys who hate certain prospects probably don't give them enough credit. Averaging across all the lists balances out the biases and random error you get in all those viewings. It almost always gives you a list that does a better job of predicting than any individual person's list, which is why Bob McKenzie kicks ass every year in that department.

Although I take fault with individual teams for not taking better advantage of this kind of thing. A lot of hockey guys are very "feel it in my gut" and refuse to admit that they're carrying around biases or misconceptions that should be corrected for. Teams really should look at scouting services and say to themselves: why does Agency_X have this player so much higher? Is that us, or is it them? Instead, there's a lot of drinking their own Koolaid and thinking they're scouting gods for being the only ones to see how good this player really is.

Last edited:

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Habs could definitely go D. D, particularly LD, is a major need- way larger than wing.

After the big 3, I think Hughes is the guy we're looking at.

rhef3

Jul 28, 2016
Just outside St.louis
what is the price to move up from 5 to 3 in this years draft ?

let's say the rangers are picking 5th, and offered the 5th and 26th pick to move up to 3, would you take that ?

now that's 3 first round picks this year or is that not enough ?

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
My question was based on what Red Wings will do, not what most of us will do.

I do think A.Svechnikov's stock has been slightly hurt by his brother's performance. A lot of draft choices are based on pedigree.
I believe Zadina will go second.

Red Wings may trade down two or three spots to pick-up an extra draft pick and still get a needed defenseman rather than take A.Svechnikov.

Jul 30, 2005
My question was based on what Red Wings will do, not what most of us will do.

I do think A.Svechnikov's stock has been slightly hurt by his brother's performance. A lot of draft choices are based on pedigree.
I believe Zadina will go second.

Red Wings may trade down two or three spots to pick-up an extra draft pick and still get a needed defenseman rather than take A.Svechnikov.
I think it would be kind of interesting, because the Wings have their Czech contingent and then they have their Swedish contingent. Add QMJHL/Atlantic Canada and European scouts into the mix and who knows what'll happen there.

I'd put my money on Boqvist if Hakan wants him, though. That's probably what it comes down to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->