If the season started today

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If the season started today I think it's clear that Hronek would be in for a very long season.

Provided no other moves, this is what I expect to see:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Zadina-Fabbri-Ryan
Flip-Namestnikov - Gagner
Helm-Glendening- Erne
Svech, Nielsen

Dekeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Merril
Staal-Stecher
Biega

I think Blashill leans into the right handed thing, and will want a pretty traditional fourth line. I'm really not thrilled with what the Wings seem to be doing up the middle or on the blueline. I think Fabbri and Namestnikov are going to get rag dolled there on a lot of nights, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Flip and Nielsen getting looks there again.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If the season started today I think it's clear that Hronek would be in for a very long season.

Provided no other moves, this is what I expect to see:

Bert-Larkin-Mantha
Zadina-Fabbri-Ryan
Flip-Namestnikov - Gagner
Helm-Glendening- Erne
Svech, Nielsen

Dekeyser-Hronek
Nemeth-Merril
Staal-Stecher
Biega

I think Blashill leans into the right handed thing, and will want a pretty traditional fourth line. I'm really not thrilled with what the Wings seem to be doing up the middle or on the blueline. I think Fabbri and Namestnikov are going to get rag dolled there on a lot of nights, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Flip and Nielsen getting looks there again.

You don't think Smith gets a look in the bottom 6? I would personally like him over Erne. Or do you think he gets a look next year when Helm is gone?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You don't think Smith gets a look in the bottom 6? I would personally like him over Erne. Or do you think he gets a look next year when Helm is gone?

I think Svech should get a long look in the top9, but look at all of the mediocre roster filler Yzerman signed. I have to think those guys are expected to be in the lineup, so...yeah. I think Smith and Svech will see action throughout the season, but I expect the guys Yzerman signed to get first crack at whatever spots are available.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I think Svech should get a long look in the top9, but look at all of the mediocre roster filler Yzerman signed. I have to think those guys are expected to be in the lineup, so...yeah. I think Smith and Svech will see action throughout the season, but I expect the guys Yzerman signed to get first crack at whatever spots are available.

Okay so like looks when injuries hit?

Reactions: Winger98

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Some provision has to be made if there's no AHL season, ie, expanded rosters, 5-7 extra players. Otherwise why would SY be signing all these extra F & D. Plus talk of looking to take on a dump/casualty or two & maybe 1 more UFA.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Okay so like looks when injuries hit?

injuries, back-to-back games, after the TDL, etc. Or if someone just flat out bombs. I fully expect the vets to be given every opportunity to take a spot and pump up their value, though.

We still don't know if the AHL is even going to be a thing this year. The NHL might have something like the NFL's practice squad or something to allow teams to carry and swap guys in if the schedule gets too crazy when they try to fit more games into fewer days.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
injuries, back-to-back games, after the TDL, etc. Or if someone just flat out bombs. I fully expect the vets to be given every opportunity to take a spot and pump up their value, though.

We still don't know if the AHL is even going to be a thing this year. The NHL might have something like the NFL's practice squad or something to allow teams to carry and swap guys in if the schedule gets too crazy when they try to fit more games into fewer days.

I don't think we will have even 60 games next year. With the likelyhood of Covid still around. Gate take by stadiums will be very reduced. However for the billionaires that means they pay zero in taxes because they will loss money on their sports team revenue's. The lack of any potential vaccine being even remotely close to phase 3 FDA testing either doesn't help much. At best your looking at no more than like 30% attendance I figure to keep potential outbreaks minimal.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
NHL reg. season is usually 6 mo (26 weeks). Condensed down to 20.5 weeks X 4gp/wk = 82gp Full season. Start could be Jan 1 through 3rd week of May. PO's would end ~mid July. If they cut 12 games, it still honors the 70gp TV deal & ends late June, just in time for the draft & FA period, no Awards ceremony. I see this as the likely route. Following season could start on time or have ~2 week delay.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
It’s too depressing to even try to make lines and pairings given the lack of talent on this team right now lol. It’ll still be fun to watch the players I know have a future here and will hopefully still be around in 3-5 years when we start getting good again.

I have a friend on Facebook who posted a picture of the team’s roster and actually said, “This roster for next season is very exciting!” The comments are even worse with one guy thinking DDK should be team captain and another thinking they’ll make the playoffs this year. The delusion is astounding lol.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
One thing to keep in mind when speculating on the roster is that Yzerman seems to prefer going with 13 forwards and 8 D.

For forwards, I would imagine that in the rare instance that all are healthy to start the year, the following 12 will be dressed for the opening line-up:

Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Fabbri, Namestnikov, Ryan, Glendening, Helm, Gagner, Nielsen, Zadina, Filppula

Guys that are in the mix for that #13F spot or in the line-up if some of the above are hurt: Erne, Timashov, Svechnikov, Smith, Hirose or Rasmussen

For Defense, these 6 probably dress for the first game if all are healthy: DeKeyser, Hronek, Nemeth, Stecher, Staal, Merrill

Biega is probably penciled in at #7.

Not sure what happens to make 8 on D. Yzerman either:

A. Acquires another D that would slot right in at #7/8
B. Acquires another D that slots in the top 6, and pushes someone out (probably Merrill)
C. Keeps the spot open for competition from within where:
-Someone like Cholowski earns a spot in the top 6 and pushes someone out (probably Merrill)
-Yzerman just rotates around the two-way guys that have a "guaranteed minimum" salary (Lashoff, McIlrath, Hicketts) to plug in at #8 until an above mentioned scenario happens

I'm kind of perplexed at people slotting Staal outside of the top 6. The guy isn't what he once was, but was a regular fixture for a better team last season (pretty much the Rangers #5D at 5v5), where he was their most used Dman on the PK. I'd be super surprised if he's healthy scratch to start the year for the Red Wings.

In Goal, Bernier and Greiss probably platoon in a 1A/1B until one of them either gets hurt, gets hot or slumps pretty hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad