If the Pens win the lottery again: Do they pick Kessel or trade the pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolburnIsGone

Draft Kessel and move both Crosby and Malkin to the wings.

Malkin-Kessel-Crosby

I don't care who you are, that is one scary flipping line :yo:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If the Penguins win the lottery again, the team should be completely disbanded and put into a dispersal draft on principle alone. The prospect of this actually happening has me angry already.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Interesting question. The Pens are looking pretty good prospect-wise at all positions, so I would think they would take the best player available, which is Kessel. The problem is where do you fit him in? By the time he made the team Malkin and Crosby would be entrenched at center, and Kessel is much better there than on the wing. Would it be a disservice to play Crosby on the wing? Don't know. Erik Johnson would look good there as well. My secret hope is the Blues get a crack at the first pick. Kessel along with Oshie and David Backes would be awesome!

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think they'll take the best player available, but would likely lean more towards Kessel, Frolik or Erik Johnson because Toews is a natural center and so are Staal, Little et al.

I still think Kessel would make a great winger in the NHL, and I'd love to see him play the off wing a la Mario, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk et al.

If you look at the Pens system, they're actually rather weak in terms of winger prospects so that would be my preference: Kessel or Frolik for the wing.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Wait a minute....

Pittsburgh is only 33 games into a season of 82 games.

WHY DO WE AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME THEY'LL BE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RANKINGS COME APRIL?

Thread forthcoming: "If a Penguins player won the Pennsylvania State lottery, would he take installments, or flat-sum?"

KariyaIsGod*

futurcorerock said:
Wait a minute....

Pittsburgh is only 33 games into a season of 82 games.

WHY DO WE AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME THEY'LL BE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE RANKINGS COME APRIL?

Thread forthcoming: "If a Penguins player won the Pennsylvania State lottery, would he take installments, or flat-sum?"

Read the thread title...

It says IF...

The thread is entirely based on a hypothetical situation.

Calm it down...

Gophers

Nov 23, 2004
I think they got enough elite talent at forward. I guess I would trade down a few picks and snag johnson.

Backes is very underrated and he would good along side Kessel.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
DrMoses said:
Read the thread title...

It says IF...

The thread is entirely based on a hypothetical situation.

Calm it down...
Actually you've got to be the bottom 5 of the NHL to "win" the lottery, so the assumption goes that Pittsburgh would be there.

But seriously though... Why the assumption?

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
pitt

should trade down a slot or 2 and get Erik Johnson.

Lou Nanne was on the radio today said he's hearing that he could even go #1, his stock is really on the rise, he's probably a top 3 pick.

6"5, built and great on D and on offense.

Just the guy pitt needs..bank it

Diffuser

Nov 14, 2005
Ottawa
Mallard said:
Wow - you don't say. 29/30 chance of that happening. I bet you'll throw out an "I told you so" post as well , right Rainman?

Well, technically a 1 in 30 chance, but realistically much better. 1 in 30 implies that every team has an equal shot of having the worst record by the end of the season which is just not true. It's more like 1 in 8, at the most.

On topic though, can you imagine if the pens won the Ovechkin draft? I can't even fathom it.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Mallard said:
Wow - you don't say. 29/30 chance of that happening. I bet you'll throw out an "I told you so" post as well , right Rainman?
Your sarcasm is cute.

I'm not interested in "I told you so's" but I do think that Pittsburgh has enough talent to turn their fortunes around and finish at .500 this year. If your math is good (which it seems like it's solid based on that 29/30 odds) that would mean that Pittsburgh won't finish in the bottom 5, relegating it to the odds of the draft to pick first overall.

So essentially my point is along the lines of "who the hell knows, it's only 1/3 of the way into the season" And not only is that not certain, but the rankings are somewhat up in the air now that we've all got a man-crush on Toews

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Diffuser said:
Well, technically a 1 in 30 chance, but realistically much better. 1 in 30 implies that every team has an equal shot of having the worst record by the end of the season which is just not true. It's more like 1 in 8, at the most.

On topic though, can you imagine if the pens won the Ovechkin draft? I can't even fathom it.

In a sense they did, because Malkin is probably as good as most No. 1 overall picks in most years.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
futurcorerock said:
Actually you've got to be the bottom 5 of the NHL to "win" the lottery, so the assumption goes that Pittsburgh would be there.

But seriously though... Why the assumption?

Well, the assumption that they'll be a lottery team stems from the fact that they suck. Look at the standings. It's not that big of a leap.

I think the Pens will do well enough to pull themselves out of the bottom ten by season's end. Really, I'd actually be embarrassed to win the lottery again.

swinginutter*

tom_servo said:
Well, the assumption that they'll be a lottery team stems from the fact that they suck. Look at the standings. It's not that big of a leap.

I think the Pens will do well enough to pull themselves out of the bottom ten by season's end. Really, I'd actually be embarrassed to win the lottery again.

Agreed! I'd puke if the Pens were even in the top ten of picks. Enough is enough already! They've won ten fold in the last four - five years. Hopefully they pick late for a change!

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
wild_gopher said:
I think they got enough elite talent at forward. I guess I would trade down a few picks and snag johnson.
Backes is very underrated and he would good along side Kessel.

I could see them doing this as well.

Johnson-Orpik-Whitney-Welch-Goligoski

Not a bad defense to put in front of Fleury in the future.

Especially with Crosby, Malkin, Malone, Christiansen, etc.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Are you joking? Drafting Kessel would be a very bad move by the Pens. With a top 2 of Crosby and Malkin and a number one like Fleury, they are set for offense and goaltending. Why take the risk with Kessel? He is a very promising kid but they have enough offense and with Kessel they will start running into cap issue in a few years. And no matter how likely a kid looks like he'll suceed, there is always some chance. Besides, Kessel is redundant for them, actually he is a half step behind guys like Crosby and Malkin. It would be much better to sell off the pick to the highest bidder.

Trade the pick for some defensive help or move down and draft Erik Johnson. Those are the only two options for the Pens if they win the lottery.

LoonieToon

Nov 15, 2005
synergy27 said:
If the Penguins win the lottery again, the team should be completely disbanded and put into a dispersal draft on principle alone. The prospect of this actually happening has me angry already.
Thank you. I would be forever disgusted with the Pens franchise if that were to happen. It is just not legit for any team to draft 2-1-1 in three consecutive years.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
LoonieToon said:
Thank you. I would be forever disgusted with the Pens franchise if that were to happen. It is just not legit for any team to draft 2-1-1 in three consecutive years.

hasn't that already happened?

1-2-1

Fluery
Malkin
Crosby

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
futurcorerock said:
Your sarcasm is cute.

I'm not interested in "I told you so's" but I do think that Pittsburgh has enough talent to turn their fortunes around and finish at .500 this year. If your math is good (which it seems like it's solid based on that 29/30 odds) that would mean that Pittsburgh won't finish in the bottom 5, relegating it to the odds of the draft to pick first overall.

So essentially my point is along the lines of "who the hell knows, it's only 1/3 of the way into the season" And not only is that not certain, but the rankings are somewhat up in the air now that we've all got a man-crush on Toews

I am a huge pens fan, had huge expectations going into this season, im guessing from your posts that you are as well a pens fan. Please expalin what you have seen to tell you that the pens will be turning this around anytime soon. If anything ive seen the pens get worse over the last cple weeks. Finding a way to lose is not something new....at this point finishing in the bottom 5 of the league is quite a possibility for the Pens, so taking it personally certainly should not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad