If the PA wants anyone to take them seriously..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crows*

They need to stop signing in other leagues sich as the UHL (today) which has a salary cap of 260,000 dollars!!

Or go play in european leagus with salary caps.

They don't even know how stupid and hypocritical they look. It's just absolutely unbelivable.

Last edited by a moderator:

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
The truly absurd part of it all is that the players would have lost less money overall if they had agreed to a salary cap in the first place and played this season. Thanks to their greed they've ended up losing money. :banghead:

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
NHL players are not only alienating the fans with their rhetoric and hypocritical decisions....they are also alienating hockey players around the world that are being displaced from their hockey jobs...quite often the only employment these guys have to feed their families and pay their expenses. Chelios, Draper and Hatcher won't even come close to making enough $$$$ to pay for their disability insurance premiums. SELFISH :banghead:

X0ssbar

I have thought the same thing - how can these players possibly think they can take a position against a salary cap in the NHL and then go play in other leagues that have salary caps!

Do they understand the phrase "walking contradiction"? :banghead:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Crows said:
They need to stop signing in other leagues sich as the UHL (today) which has a salary cap of 260,000 dollars!!

They don't even know how stupid and hypocritical they look. It's just absolutely unbelivable.
In a Bettman Hard Cap world isn't the average player salary going to be 260,000 ???

or is that reserved for the Stars only ??

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Top Shelf said:
I have thought the same thing - how can these players possibly think they can take a position against a salary cap in the NHL and then go play in other leagues that have salary caps!

Do they understand the phrase "walking contradiction"? :banghead:

I like that song. :yo:

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
The Messenger said:
In a Bettman Hard Cap world isn't the average player salary going to be 260,000 ???

or is that reserved for the Stars only ??

Bettman's latest proposal would make the average NHL salary somewhere between 1.4 and 1.5 million. The UHL have a salary cap of 260,000 for the entire team for the entire year.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Crows said:

There are no salary caps in any european league. But there are no arbitration or guaranteed contracts either.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
"If the PA wants fans to take them seriously...."

The degree to which some fans overestimate their role in this episode never ceases to amaze.

You are a paying customer. To that extent, in a gate-driven business, you have a "hammer," in that you either pay for NHL entertainment or you don't.

That does not mean that the NHLPA's top priority in these negotiations should be to appease you! Make you "happy," convince you of anything! For, despite the melodrama espoused hourly on this board, the vast majority of NHL fans will return to the sport as soon as the CBA is signed. In fact, one can surmise that most haven't ever left, despite the hyperbolic alarmists :eek:, i.e., "the league is doomed, I tell 'ya!" :speechles

The goal of the NHLPA was/is to strike a deal with the NHL that they find acceptable. Likewise, for the other side. Winning the "support" of the fans is a strategic means (only) toward achieving that goal.

It is not "the goal". Big difference.

Sorry to rain on the "self-important" parade. :)

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
Trottier said:
"If the PA wants fans to take them seriously...."

The degree to which some fans overestimate their role in this episode never ceases to amaze.

You are a paying customer. To that extent, in a gate-driven business, you have a "hammer," in that you either pay for NHL entertainment or you don't.

That does not mean that the NHLPA's top priority in these negotiations should be to appease you! Make you "happy," convince you of anything! For, despite the melodrama espoused hourly on this board, the vast majority of NHL fans will return to the sport as soon as the CBA is signed. In fact, one can surmise that most haven't ever left, despite the hyperbolic alarmists :eek:, i.e., "the league is doomed, I tell 'ya!" :speechles

The goal of the NHLPA was/is to strike a deal with the NHL that they find acceptable. Likewise, for the other side. Winning the "support" of the fans is a strategic means (only) toward achieving that goal.

It is not "the goal". Big difference.

Sorry to rain on the "self-important" parade. :)

Your entitled to your opinion but most of us happen to believe that our opinion does count. You don't have to agree with us. Heck, you don't even have to visit this board if it bothers you that much. Most of us side with the owners for good reason. Common sense, being practical and in touch with reality!

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
eye said:
Bettman's latest proposal would make the average NHL salary somewhere between 1.4 and 1.5 million. The UHL have a salary cap of 260,000 for the entire team for the entire year.

Players salaries only stay at 1.4 million IF the revenues stay there. A goal that no other major sport has been able to attain after labour battles. Reality is more like 900,000 to 1 million.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
vanlady said:
Players salaries only stay at 1.4 million IF the revenues stay there. A goal that no other major sport has been able to attain after labour battles. Reality is more like 900,000 to 1 million.

And what will it be in January 2006? That's the $250,000 avg. salary question.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
vanlady said:

To play hockey?? Sounds AMAZING, where do I sign up?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Crows said:
If the PA wants anyone to take them seriously..

What it actually shows is that they aren't fighting for themselves, but for the young players ... the Crosby's, Carter's, and Phaneuf's of this world.

The players actually beleieve in this cause and think of the players before them the sacrificed, and feel like they should do the same.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
What it actually shows is that they aren't fighting for themselves, but for the young players ... the Crosby's, Carter's, and Phaneuf's of this world.

The players actually beleieve in this cause and think of the players before them the sacrificed, and feel like they should do the same.

You keep telling yourself that. :lol:

There is no way they are fighting for these younger players. The players agents will be fighting for them, and trust me, they will get their money. But you are fooling yourself if you think the NHLPA is looking out for non association members. It's like saying the owners are trying to help future owners come into a better league.

Bottom line, the NHLPA does not want to lose a system that has worked so well for them. That is the truth.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:

I fail to see how playing in a league with a salary cap shows older players are fighting for the younger players instead of themselves. What possible point does that make that could not be made by sitting a home?

The cause the players believe in is ever increasing salaries. And that is a cause the market can no longer support.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I disagree entirely....

I think they are doing a great job of determining the fair market value for their services.

oldnslo

Jan 28, 2005
John Flyers Fan said:

The players actually believe in this cause and think of the players before them the sacrificed, and feel like they should do the same.

They are fighting so hard that the first ones sold down the river are the entry level players that are already under a salary cap.

When folks say it isn't the money. It is the money!

i'm oldnslo

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Biggest Canuck Fan said:
You keep telling yourself that. :lol:

There is no way they are fighting for these younger players. The players agents will be fighting for them, and trust me, they will get their money. But you are fooling yourself if you think the NHLPA is looking out for non association members. It's like saying the owners are trying to help future owners come into a better league.

Bottom line, the NHLPA does not want to lose a system that has worked so well for them. That is the truth.

If they're fighting for them selves then explain to me how a guy like Sundin is going to make up the $9 million he's lost this year. Or a guy like Pronger will make back the $10 million.

The big monied players of today would have been much better off financially to play this season and collect their money.

You don't have to believe them, but their actions speak much louder than your words.

The big $$$$$ players in the NBA folded last time, because they were out to protect their money.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
AM said:
I think they are doing a great job of determining the fair market value for their services.

Put every NHL:er in an UHL/ECHL jersey and see if people are willing to pay NHL ticket prices. The players are part of the product, but they are not all of the product.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Crows said:

Why shouldnt they continue to play hockey?
If they were on strike they'd be wrong to play elsewhere but the NHL has locked them out so they play elsewhere in the meantime.Plus it gives the fans of lesser quality hockey leagues an opportunity to see a few of the best.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
vanlady said:

I'm curious ... what empirical data are you basing this upon? You're projecting a 29 to 35 percet drop in revenues. How do you arrive at this figure? What facts support this?

Before you answer, here are some facts to consider:

- NHL attendance rose immediately after the 1994 lockout and continued to go up for the next two seasons
- MLB attendance was down 20 percent in the year after its 1994 strike, then 15 percent by 1996
- NFL attendance fell 15 percent after its 1987 strike
- NBA attendance fell 2.2 percent after its lockout, though that's as attributable to the retirement of Michael Jordan - who sold out everywhere - as fan apathy.

Even in the MLB worst-case scenario, a 35 percent decline seems unlikely. Moreover, at leats one expert on this very topic believes that the NHL won't suffer a similar fate.

"Because of the makeup of the NHL fan base, the league is less volatile than others when work stoppages occur," said Paul Swangard, managing director of the University of Oregon's Warsaw Sports Marketing Center, which recently studied NHL attendance data before and after its last work stoppage. "Baseball lives and breathes off the casual fan that hockey just doesn't have."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=1968768&type=story

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
If they're fighting for them selves then explain to me how a guy like Sundin is going to make up the $9 million he's lost this year. Or a guy like Pronger will make back the $10 million.

The big monied players of today would have been much better off financially to play this season and collect their money.

You don't have to believe them, but their actions speak much louder than your words.

The big $$$$$ players in the NBA folded last time, because they were out to protect their money.

I think you're confusing the issue somewhat. Pronger, Sundin and guys of that age and salary likely will never recover all that they will lose this year. But the question instead should be how much of what they lose this year will they recover. If the system stays as is, they probably won't make it all back, but they can make millions more than they would under a cap.
Sundin is 34 this month and probably has at least four more years of hockey ahead of him. Whether those years are played under a cap or not will make a difference to him financially.
Pronger is 30 and, if I'm not mistaken, will be eligible for free agency next year. Whether he plays in a capped NHL can make the difference between a $9 million/year contract and a $6 million/year contract.
So, to say these guys are all acting selflessly and have nothing to gain by winning this labor battle is simply not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad