If the owners backed away from a CAP...Would the PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
live without guranteed contracts? If they wont give in on the cap, would they let the owners fix their financial blunders by walking away from a contract at seasons end once they realize that Player A is not worth 6M per season??? Any thoughts?

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Personally, I think non-guarenteed contracts is worse for small markets....

You'll have a team like the Rangers giving superstar XXX 40 mill for 3 years and at the end of one, and if it doesn't work out, just kissing him goodbye after 1 season... then the Blues will offer Superstar BBB 14 mill for 2 seasons to replace Pronger & realize nah he ain't all that either....

I like it now whre teams like Philly, Dallas and the Rangers gotta be stuck with their Leclair's, Holik's & Turgeon's........ even moreso under any sort of soft or hard cap system..........

nyr34

Feb 28, 2002
Rochester, NY
I doubt the PA would give up the guaranteed contracts, but here's something I'd rather see implemented: how about a contract totally based on incentives? I mean instead of negotitating what a player would make per year, how about per goal, point, etc.? I'm just throwing and idea out here...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
nyr34 said:
I doubt the PA would give up the guaranteed contracts, but here's something I'd rather see implemented: how about a contract totally based on incentives? I mean instead of negotitating what a player would make per year, how about per goal, point, etc.? I'm just throwing and idea out here...
Teams and GM's have tried to stray from individual performances and tried to have team incentives...It does have it's merit though, maybe everyone on this board should be involved in the new CBA, at least we are trying to come up with something new, and creative...the bottom line is both sides see each other as being inflexible...

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Hey, I just thought about that as well. Made a system like that just for fun, basically everything is regulated by what the player brought to the team.

The only negative: A superb season might ruin a small-market team, because they can't pay all the incentives.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
I have mixed feelings on the guaranteed contracts. Guaranteed contract or not, if a player wants a trade or thinks he deserves a better contract, he will do what he wants anyway. No matter what the player does, the team is still going to try to get something for that player by making a trade of some sort. Few teams will just let a player walk away whether contracts are guaranteed or not. If a team let's a player walk like that, he is just negotiates with the team he wanted a deal with, and the team gets nothing.

A better deal for the owners would be to keep guaranteed contracts, but all contracts had to be two ways. This way, if a player thinks he can float and the team will eventually trade him, the team has the option to send him to the AHL and he can float down there. There can be some kind of appeal system so that the team can only do this if a player is not performing at the level expected when the contract was signed and not just so the team can save money.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
nyr34 said:

It works only in bonuses, I don't think it could work as far as determining what that player actually makes per season. You have to remember this is their salary, this is how they make they're living. If I am Jan Hlavac and I can't put the puck in the net for most of the season and then I am continually a healthy scratch, what do I do? The players salaries they have to live on would vary too much from year to year. Imagine if you worked for a salary like that. It's just not reasonable.

It would also cause too many problems between players and coaches and the players themselves. A coach would have complete control over that players income, he could easily scratch a player for the majority of a season, and the player wouldn't make ****. On the other hand, would teammates really be teammates? If I were in the situation, I would want to win, but even more than that I would want to be the one to score the goals for my line. We might see more selfishness on the ice than ever before.

And what about the 3rd line player who doesn't score many goals but is vital to the success of the team? How do you pay him? Hockey is not an individual sport and many of the things a player does on the ice to help his team can't be quantified.

And, on top of all of that, the integrity of the game would be killed. Why wouldn't players let certain players score if it meant money for them? If my team is up 5-1 in the third, what's the harm of letting a friend if mine on the other team score a goal? What if that friend of mine said, if your up let me get some shots and if I score I'll give you half of that money.

Too many problems to come out of a system where players are paid only on performance.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I think there might be some ways to pay a third lines what he's worth.
First, you have a base salary, you add money for the amount of games, icetime, icetime shorthanded and certain amount for team-success. Like $50,000 per player for the best team of each month or something like that.
He maybe wouldn't get as much as scorers would, but that's not unusual.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
nyr7andcounting said:
It would also cause too many problems between players and coaches and the players themselves. A coach would have complete control over that players income, he could easily scratch a player for the majority of a season, and the player wouldn't make ****. On the other hand, would teammates really be teammates? If I were in the situation, I would want to win, but even more than that I would want to be the one to score the goals for my line. We might see more selfishness on the ice than ever before.
You might see more selfishness, I mean it's a reasonable expectation, but I think after a short while the players will just play. You can't get to the NHL and suddenly try to be a different type of player or else you simply won't get on the ice.

Never the less, you can't have a players contract based entirely on a performance bonus type of system. It's a team sport and you could run into a lot of problems. It works in tennis and golf because you never have to rely on a teammate. Except in doubles play and pro/am best ball tournaments. Well, you get the idea though...

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
nyr34 said:
how about a contract totally based on incentives? I mean instead of negotitating what a player would make per year, how about per goal, point, etc.? I'm just throwing and idea out here...

I understand your thinking, but the flaw in that system is that it will incent players to be selfish in a sport that is the epitome of teamwork. You do not want to promote a "me, me, me" attitude among players. We see enough of that in the NBA already. Guys don't talk about their individual stats in the NHL, they talk about winning the Cup. That's different than other leagues and it's a very good thing.

A variation on the original thought in this thread (non-guaranteed contracts) is to lessen the financial burden for teams jettisoning players (i.e., instead of having to buy out 2/3s of the remaining salary, make it, 1/2), while at the same time putting a cap on just how much salary each team can choose to divest ("cut") annually.

Lanny MacDonald*

Trottier said:
A variation on the original thought in this thread (non-guaranteed contracts) is to lessen the financial burden for teams jettisoning players (i.e., instead of having to buy out 2/3s of the remaining salary, make it, 1/2), while at the same time putting a cap on just how much salary each team can choose to divest ("cut") annually.

Holy irony Batman. A cap is a terrible thing and is the bane of the NHL's existence, but what do you suggest, a salary cap on how much salary can be divested each year. The irony of that is just unbelievable.

:eek:

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
The Iconoclast said:
Holy irony Batman. A cap is a terrible thing and is the bane of the NHL's existence, but what do you suggest, a salary cap on how much salary can be divested each year. The irony of that is just unbelievable.

:eek:

No relation between the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad