If the NHL starts should they play through the summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Leave it at 28 games... that means that teams will be at their best gear when the playoffs start. And then we have a full offseason and a good season next year.

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
I dont think they can ... it would affect the following season too much. Its like trying to concatenate two seasons when one season itself is already too grueling for the average team to be able to ice the best team consistently.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
We need a full offseason for the draft and for GM's to make moves accomodating the cap and such.

Plus I don't want to hear all the whining about the quality of the ice in Tampa during the Stanley Cup finals. It's bad enough in June, think about August!

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
What about making a permanent move to starting hockey in march. I think they would have a better market with less competiotion. Think about it, NFL done, NBA almost done. I really think the NHL could do well starting in march permantly, its biggest competition would be MLB only.

Pros to having the NHL permantly in the summer
- Less competition
- No interference with the Olympics
- The ice might actuatlly be better because they wouldn't have to share the arena's as much with NBA teams.
- which gives better scheduel flexiblity.
- All drafted junior players could play as fill ins in the summer with out interfering with their junior hockey.
- AHL teams would be able to have full rosters all year. Leaving NHL frindge players to get off season work in to improve their game as well.

Cons of having the NHL permantly in the summer
- Not very traditional

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
richardn said:
What about making a permanent move to starting hockey in march. I think they would have a better market with less competiotion. Think about it, NFL done, NBA almost done. I really think the NHL could do well starting in march permantly, its biggest competition would be MLB only.

It's really crazy but this guy almost had me convinced when he suggested the same thing.

http://www.dallasstars.com/news/razor.jsp

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
I don't want to see a Stanley Cup awarded in August and have a month off before training camps open. But I don't see why the last possible SCF game couldn't be played in early July. I know the NHL stated playing into the summer wasn't an option but they have wavered on dates and extended deadlines a lot here lately. If playing into the first of second week in July allows for a 32 or 36 game season I say go for it.

g0canucksg0

Aug 17, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Jim Hughson (Sportsnet) had a segment on a few days ago, and he suggested the same notion of the season being in the summer. He argued that basketball was traditionally a summer game that is now played in the winter, so why can't hockey be played in the summer? It's interesting, to say the least.

Reilly311

elAWK;jf ;oisugi[ozdgoi

WHO CARES WHEN IT'S PLAYED!?!??!!??!?!"?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?#>!sdfhsfgjxsduk x

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I dont see why it's a big deal. Play into late July, after June the NBA finals are over so there wont be a conflict in arena schedules for the playoffs. I'll be just as willing to see the Wings play in July as i will in March.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
JWI19 said:
I dont see why it's a big deal. Play into late July, after June the NBA finals are over so there wont be a conflict in arena schedules for the playoffs. I'll be just as willing to see the Wings play in July as i will in March.

Exactly. Although I can imagine the ice would be terrible in most arenas at that point.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Pavel said:
Exactly. Although I can imagine the ice would be terrible in most arenas at that point.

It's pretty crappy in June anyways. I mean it's just something everyone will have deal with. Plus isn't some of the worst ice in arena's where they have to share with the NBA? Well if the NBA teams aren't playing maybe it wont be as bad

rwilson99

g0canucksg0 said:
Jim Hughson (Sportsnet) had a segment on a few days ago, and he suggested the same notion of the season being in the summer. He argued that basketball was traditionally a summer game that is now played in the winter, so why can't hockey be played in the summer? It's interesting, to say the least.

That's interesting... considering that Basketball was created by James Naismith as a game to be played indoors (keyword) during the WINTER.

Jim Hughson :dunce:

http://www.ku.edu/heritage/graphics/people/naismith.html

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
I don't see why the NHL can't play through July . . . . . it appears that we will go to a 72 game schedule anyway, so there's nothing to stop the league from starting the next season late October giving players August and September off.

monkey_00*

richardn said:
If the NHL starts back up soon which I believe it will now. Should the league set up a respectable length to the season and play through the summer? I think it makes sence to me.

richardn.........

I think they should play a season with at least 36-games and end it at around August (the playoffs)......sure the players would only have 2-months off until the start of the next hockey season for October but itès not like they will be playing a long season this year....they will be able to manage just fine I think with a 2-month layoff until the start of the next hockey season.

Cheers!

monkey_00

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I personally predict no season. If there was to be one, the agreement had to be last weekend. We were told that and told why, you could not have more than a 20 game season now, even if they come to an agreement in principle today, which I also think is unlikely. Most likely scenerio to me is a cancellation tomorrow, but actually completing this by next month and starting the season for next year.

Pavel

Mar 1, 2004
Houston
JWI19 said:
It's pretty crappy in June anyways. I mean it's just something everyone will have deal with. Plus isn't some of the worst ice in arena's where they have to share with the NBA? Well if the NBA teams aren't playing maybe it wont be as bad

True. I always think that bad ice angle always gets overplayed during the playoffs anyway. I live in Houston where it is hot 6 months a year and I play in leagues that play in July and August and we somehow manage to get by.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Hockey is not a summer game and playing in the summer would be ridiculous.

MLB will have a full season this summer with 162 games per team, 81 games at home, how can hockey compete with that?

Baseball is Americas sport, hockey will never be. Although the disparity is even greater in the MLB then the NHL, fans still come out to watch their own team play. Tickets overall are half as cheep as MLB and the product is not as ‘watered down’ as the NHL has become over the past decade.

MLB does not go into December or January, it’s a late fall finish, not winter.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
None of the above. Sign a deal, play for the fans, charity and draft picks (ie, no Cup awarded this year), then start a real season in September.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
richardn said:
If the NHL starts back up soon which I believe it will now. Should the league set up a respectable length to the season and play through the summer? I think it makes sence to me.
How does that work for next year ???

This season and playoffs run right into next season and playoff and soon you have players playing 200 games with no break .. Not sure how that would be possible ..

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
NataSatan666 said:
Cancel season fully. A 28 game year, will make for garbage hockey

Still have yet to see a great reason to cancel this season. And no, your opinion isn't a great reason.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
kerrly said:
Still have yet to see a great reason to cancel this season. And no, your opinion isn't a great reason.

I agree Kerrly, people need to ask whats this lockout all about? And thats money. Where do a lot of teams make their money and profits? In the playoffs. The owners are not gonna give up revenue unless they are forced too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->