If the NHL 06' Draft was Today...

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Didn't we have a discussion on a re-do of the 2006 draft recently?

Merged into that thread.

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
I can't see Backstrom going anywhere but top 3..Hes leading his team in scoring by like 15 points or so. Not to mention hes the best passer in the whole draft, Put him between AO and Semin, and hes bound to have a 60 assist season IMO.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I can't see Backstrom going anywhere but top 3..Hes leading his team in scoring by like 15 points or so. Not to mention hes the best passer in the whole draft, Put him between AO and Semin, and hes bound to have a 60 assist season IMO.

backstrom is having a great season. no doubt, but he is very inconsistent. he can have like three games in a row with three points in each game and then go on a 5 game pointless streak without creating anything. he will be a star in a feaw years imo, but dont expect fireworks next season. i think he will have a decent rookie year. my guess is something like 35-45 points.

Randall Graves*

1) Jordan Staal
2) Niklas Backstrom
3) Jonathan Toews
4) Erik Johnson
5)Phil Kessel
6) Kyle Okposo
7) Peter Mueller
8) Bryan Little
9) James Sheppard
10) Leland Irving
Wow look at everyone on the Staal bandwagon, don't get me wrong the guy is a good player but his goal totals are inflated by Malkin and Crosby, 9 of his last 12 goals have been assisted by atleast one of them.

What has EJ done to LOWER his value?

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Wow look at everyone on the Staal bandwagon, don't get me wrong the guy is a good player but his goal totals are inflated by Malkin and Crosby, 9 of his last 12 goals have been assisted by atleast one of them.

Hockey's Future, where the motto is "What have you done for me lately"

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
As a wild fan i was a little upset about the Sheppard pick initially, and due to his slow start ( mainly due to his back ). However past month or two, he's been one of the best players in the entire CHL, seems to be getting 3,4 pts every game.

Dare i say I'd take him over mueller. I'd still rather have okposo then either.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

EJ didn't necessarily have to do anything to lower his value if Staal significantly increased his, which he did. Being on pace for 35 goals as an 18 year old rookie, while PKing and instantly becoming the best defensive forward on your team, will generally push up your stock. Regardless of who you're playing with.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

EJ is a wonderful PROSPECT. Staal is already a top (to pick a judgement call number) 30 in the NHL PLAYER. Does EJ have the potential to be better than Staal? Sure. But Staal has set the bar awfully high and that gives him the edge. It s not like we are comparing a Crosby coming into the league vs. a scrub already in the NHL. EJ and Staal were in the same ballpark as prospects and now one has come in and not only met but vastly exceeded expectations. EJ has a lot to prove to show that he is better to be honest. Until he does Staal naturally has the edge. It was like last year when some were saying after the Olympics that Malkin was better than Ovechkin. I said the same thing then. AO set the bar high. Malkin had potential but until he proves it the nod goes AO's way. Same thing here.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
EJ is a wonderful PROSPECT. Staal is already a top (to pick a judgement call number) 30 in the NHL PLAYER. Does EJ have the potential to be better than Staal? Sure. But Staal has set the bar awfully high and that gives him the edge. It s not like we are comparing a Crosby coming into the league vs. a scrub already in the NHL. EJ and Staal were in the same ballpark as prospects and now one has come in and not only met but vastly exceeded expectations. EJ has a lot to prove to show that he is better to be honest. Until he does Staal naturally has the edge. It was like last year when some were saying after the Olympics that Malkin was better than Ovechkin. I said the same thing then. AO set the bar high. Malkin had potential but until he proves it the nod goes AO's way. Same thing here.
Should we put Kessel second because he proved more than Johnson?
Should we put Brassard out of the first round because he didn't played this year?
Should we put Mueller third because he stick up with Pheonix in pre-season?

Even if Staal proved more at the NHL, it will not give him the edge in a re-do the 2006 draft. It shows that he was at least picked at the right place, but not that he should have been #1. A defenceman is way more valuable these days...and Johnson will be an amazing one. He has everything to be an impact defeceman, so that will give him the edge...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Should we put Kessel second because he proved more than Johnson?
Should we put Brassard out of the first round because he didn't played this year?
Should we put Mueller third because he stick up with Pheonix in pre-season?

Even if Staal proved more at the NHL, it will not give him the edge in a re-do the 2006 draft. It shows that he was at least picked at the right place, but not that he should have been #1. A defenceman is way more valuable these days...and Johnson will be an amazing one. He has everything to be an impact defeceman, so that will give him the edge...

None of the players you mentioned are doing anything close to what Staal's doing this year.

Did anyone say that it was because Staal merely made the NHL that's pushed him over Johnson in some people's eyes, or do you only assume that because it helps your argument?

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005

Are you kidding me? Do you actually think Jordan Staal is a top 30 player in the NHL? Don't kid yourself, he is nowhere close to the top 30 in the NHL.

ilovehockey

Jan 1, 2007
I doubt the top 5 would change at all because it doesn't go by your own personal opinion but what the gm's think. If the same teams were picking in the same order nothing would change, except maybe a Staal, Johnson swap.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Right now? Hell no.

Value-wise, maybe, but not in terms of on-ice effectiveness.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
brassard shouldnt drop imo. he hasnt played at all this season and he should at least be given a chanse to prove what he can do before he drops. atleast thats my opinion.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
Staal is definitely not a top 30 player in the NHL yet. The more I see of him, the more I am convinced he will be, but he is definitely not yet.

That being said, he keeps looking better and better to me. Not yet to the point where I think he should have gone ahead of Erik Johnson, but he's definitely closed the gap a *lot* in my book.

I would still take Erik Johnson #1 overall. I still think he will be the best all-around player out of the 2006 draft. As far as what he has done for us lately, I thought he was the best player during the second half of the WJC this year, and he even ended up co-leading the tournament in scoring and leading the tournament in shots on goal, if I'm not mistaken.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Say what you will of all the other players, because we can all speculate and try to project how they will turn out but until they prove themselves, they will be nothing more than prospects.

J.Staal is proving himself and I doubt there would be any GM who would take someone else over him right now. He would be a lock to go 1st over all if the draft was redone.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Say what you will of all the other players, because we can all speculate and try to project how they will turn out but until they prove themselves, they will be nothing more than prospects.

J.Staal is proving himself and I doubt there would be any GM who would take someone else over him right now. He would be a lock to go 1st over all if the draft was redone.

no one else has been given a chanse yet. EJ could have, but he decided to play for the gophers. and imo its way to early to redo the draft. you cant put staal ahead of EJ yet. even if staal is having a good rookie season. EJ is having a very good season himself. lets wait a couple of more years before we decide who the best player out of this draft is.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Here's my 1st round:

1- Jordan Staal - PIT
2- Jonathan Toews - CHI
3- Erik Johnson - STL
4- Peter Mueller - PHO
5- Phil Kessel - BOS
6- Nicklas Backstrom - WSH
7- Kyle Okposo - NYI
8- Bryan Little - ATL
9- James Sheppard - MIN
10- Leland Irving - CGY
11- Derrick Brassard - CLB
12- Michael Frolik - FLA
13- Jonathan Bernier - LAK
14- Francois Bouchard - WSH
15- Ty Wishart - SJ
16- Semen Varlamov - WAS
17- Bob Sangunetti - NYR
18- Ben Maxwell - MTL
19- Claude Giroux - PHI
20- Nigel Williams - COL
21- Ryan White - MTL
22- Nick Foligno - OTT
23- Cory Emmerton - DET
24- David Fischer - MTL
25- Trevor Lewis - LAK
26- Jiri Tlusty - TOR
27- Micheal Grabner - VAN
28- Patrik Berglund - STL
29- Bobby Hughes - CAR
30- Nikolai Kulemin - TOR
I'll take Backstrom and Okposo over Kessel but otherwise thats a great list. I might rank Kulemin a little higher too.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
backstrom is having a great season. no doubt, but he is very inconsistent. he can have like three games in a row with three points in each game and then go on a 5 game pointless streak without creating anything. he will be a star in a feaw years imo, but dont expect fireworks next season. i think he will have a decent rookie year. my guess is something like 35-45 points.

If Backstrom centres Semin or Ovechkin i'd expect him to surpass that total quite easily.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
The people should wait 2 or 3 years more,to see Toews,Backstrom,Jonhson,Okposo in the NHL,and then judge

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
If you needed someone immediately, Staal was your guy. The Pens needed Staal immediately. Look at what he has done.

Long run? Who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad