23) Trevor Lewis- Los Angeles
24) Nick Foligno- Ottawa
25) Jhonas Enroth- Buffalo
26) Cory Emmerton- Detroit
27) David Fischer- Montreal
28) Ty Wishart- San Jose
29) Ivan Vishnevski- Dallas
30) Artem Anisimov- NYR

IMO, it's very fair that Fischer falls from 20th to 27th overall...'cause he's a very promising prospect (good upside), but a "project" prospect like someone else wrote before me...

Last edited:

turnbuckle*

I do like how I got completely blasted for taking him 2nd round in a mock draft last year by some Habs fans, yet now hes a Quebecois prospect in Montreal he's the next big thing...

i like when a Hab fan says a player was worthy of a better dradft position, that it is interpreted by Hab haters as meaning he's the "next best thing."

One fan says he likes him, so he must represent every Hab fan that disliked him before. Good logic there.:dunno:

What....were you sitting in wait for the first Hab fan to praise a francophone prospects so you could pounce? Get over the hatred.

Heaven forbid a Hab fan being excited about a prospect that has become the top-scoring pivot in the Q as an 18-year-old. Since he's French it must merely mean he's being overrated.:shakehead :shakehead

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
1.Why Backstrom dropped to 6 when he's having absolutely fantastik season in European TOP League. What Staal, Toews, and espescially Kessal and Mueller had done to be picked ahead of him?
2.Why did Grabner dropped to 27 while he scored 19 goals in 27 games?
3.Why did Berglund dropped to 28 when he already made 37 points in 24 games in adult league?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4e182Lfbgs
13 g 4 a 17points as a rookie in the NHL.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
after a great showing in camp, i would think corrente should have beena top 20 pick, even though hes had a less than stellar season so far

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
It's funny that in May 2006, nearly everyone set up their 2006 draft rankings based on future potential. Seven months later, some people are resetting their draft rankings based on what those same guys have done in four (4) months of play, and largely throwing future potential out the window.

Does the 2006-07 performance to date really change things that much? I'm thinking some people are putting far too much weight into the 2006-07 stats to date. I also don't see how anyone can accurately make any kind of judgments on this draft class at this point in time.

littleguybigstik

Feb 12, 2006
top 10 in two yrs

1. Phil Kessel
2. Niklas Backstrom
3. Erik Johnson
4. Jonathan Toews
5. Jordan Staal
6. Michael Frolik
7. Peter Mueller
8. Derrick Brassard
9. Bryan Little
10. James Sheppard

I still believe kessel is the best player in the draft. His speed and creativity are world class to go with his speed and hands. The big sleeper is going to be frolik imo, had a rough year last year, but now he is blossoming in the Q. I see staal and toews as being good players at both ends and ppg type.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
How is Bernier and Trevor Lewis dropping after the seasons they are having? They are bother having better seasons than anyone outside of the top 7. Bernier is just 17 too. Trevor Lewis has been called by a couple hockey people as the steal of the draft.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Forgive me if in the wrong respective forum, but my fantasy sim league is currently holding it's 2006 entry draft & I landed Mueller @ 7th & Okposo @ 11th! I thought that was fantastic as I debated between the 2 at the 7th slot...nice coming out with both...thoughts?

justdanickoftime*

how in the hell is backstrom 6th??, when he comes to the caps next year, a line with backstrom and ovechkin or semin, might be better then the pens line with crosby and malkin

adudani

Mar 28, 2006
top 10 in two yrs

1. Phil Kessel
2. Niklas Backstrom
3. Erik Johnson
4. Jonathan Toews
5. Jordan Staal
6. Michael Frolik
7. Peter Mueller
8. Derrick Brassard
9. Bryan Little
10. James Sheppard

With his speed and shot, I agree that Kessel will have more offensive upside than Staal over the course of their careers. He may have less impressive offensive numbers at this point in the season but Kessel is also surrounded by less talented teammates, had to battle through cancer etc. Having said that, Backstrom will probably have an immediate impact playing with Semin and Ovechkin next year and should be an offensive juggernaut for many years to come. More so than any other player in this draft.

And how do you compare the value of a top offensive prospect with a top defenceman prospect? Teams draft based on their individual needs. St. Louis obviously passed over some of the more offensive-minded prospects because they feel that they can benefit more from a Pronger-type player in their lineup. It's hard to do these re-drafts unless one of these guys ends up really sucking.

Here's my top 10-

1. Johnson
2. Backstrom
3. Kessel
4. Staal
5. Toews
6. Mueller
7. Frolik
8. Okposo
9. Little
10. Sheppard

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
I do not see how Sanigunetti (sp) falls out of the 1st round. Nice to see Anisimov move up though.

I agree. We may be accused of being biased but there is no doubt that Sanguinetti is having a great year and improved. His improvement should have elevated his previous draft position not degenerated his ranking.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
And how do you compare the value of a top offensive prospect with a top defenceman prospect? Teams draft based on their individual needs. St. Louis obviously passed over some of the more offensive-minded prospects because they feel that they can benefit more from a Pronger-type player in their lineup.
You obviously have no idea how teams put together draft lists - consideration of their individual needs is *way* down the list of factors that go into deciding who they're going to take in a draft. If they're indifferent between two players, then maybe it's taken into consideration - but in 99.99% of the decision making, current need (or even perceived future need) is *never* a factor.

St. Louis took Erik Johnson because they think when all is said and done, Johnson will have the greatest impact of any player in the draft. Remember - scouts stated that he reminded them of Chris Pronger at the same age. The words "franchise defenseman" were used when describing him. Yes, guys like Kessel, Staal, Backstrom, Toews, Little, and so on will probably end up having better offensive numbers - but no one who ranked the 2006 draft class after January had Erik Johnson rated #2 or lower.

They didn't select Johnson because there was a hole on defense and he could eventually fill it - they selected him because they believed that when all is said and done, EJ will have the greatest NHL impact of any player in the 2006 draft class. That's how I prefer to look back at drafts - not just, "ooh, who's put up the best numbers in the 7 months since the draft?" If the Blues believed that Phil Kessel would have the greatest upside of any player in the draft, they would have taken him. They didn't.

If you think I'm off base, go find posts made by steblick where he constantly points out that teams rank players based on (A) potential upside, and (B) likelihood of ever playing in the NHL, and that current or future need is almost never part of the decision making process.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
You obviously have no idea how teams put together draft lists - consideration of their individual needs is *way* down the list of factors that go into deciding who they're going to take in a draft. If they're indifferent between two players, then maybe it's taken into consideration - but in 99.99% of the decision making, current need (or even perceived future need) is *never* a factor.

AFAIK, Lou Lamorello once said : "You never draft by position but you always draft BPA. You adress current needs at some position via free agency".

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Here's my top 20 list (a quick one!!)... :

not finished...!! I'll come back later to finish, do it properly!!:p:

1 Jordan Staal- Pittsburgh (I'm a huuuuuuuge fan! I believe lots of GM's would take him 1st overall)
2. Erik Johnson- St. Louis (lots of GM's would still take him #1 overall!)
3. Jonathan Toews- Chicago (huuuuuge fan, maybe I overdosed on the WJC!)
4. Nicklas Backstrom- Washington (could go as high as 2nd or 3rd overall)
5. Phil Kessel- Boston (good to see him healthy & Phil might go higher than #5)
6. Peter Mueller- Phoenix
7. Kyle Okposo- NYI
8. Derrick Brassard- Columbus
9. Bryan Little- Atlanta
10. Leland Irving- Calgary

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I do like how I got completely blasted for taking him 2nd round in a mock draft last year by some Habs fans, yet now hes a Quebecois prospect in Montreal he's the next big thing...

sorry to dissapoint but any list that has Vishnevski in it normally has Carle higher cause he played better then him all year long and i really don't see how Vishnevski has a higher ceiling either

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
It's interesting to see that Hab prospects are getting recognized...merci:).
Maxwell (2nd round) and White (3rd round) are having superb seasons in the WHL. They both (IMO) should have been chosen in 1st round...
Maybe even Mathieu Carle should have been chosen in 1st round...?

IMO, it's very fair that Fischer falls from 20th to 27th overall...'cause he's a very promising prospect, but a "project" prospect like someone else wrote before me...

They may now be 1st round potential, but their upside isn't comparable apparently to players taken at a similar position in the 2003 and 2005 drafts. The 2006 draft wasn't that good apparently.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
They may now be 1st round potential, but their upside isn't comparable apparently to players taken at a similar position in the 2003 and 2005 drafts. The 2006 draft wasn't that good apparently.
Hmm, who was taken 66th in 2003 and 2005? Masi Marjamaki and Dupont, who is behind Ryan this year, even though for the most part they play on the same line....I would contend thatWhite has a lot more upside potential than players taken in a similar position in 03 and 05

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
top 10 in two yrs

1. Phil Kessel
2. Niklas Backstrom
3. Erik Johnson
4. Jonathan Toews
5. Jordan Staal
6. Michael Frolik
7. Peter Mueller
8. Derrick Brassard
9. Bryan Little
10. James Sheppard

With his speed and shot, I agree that Kessel will have more offensive upside than Staal over the course of their careers. He may have less impressive offensive numbers at this point in the season but Kessel is also surrounded by less talented teammates, had to battle through cancer etc. Having said that, Backstrom will probably have an immediate impact playing with Semin and Ovechkin next year and should be an offensive juggernaut for many years to come. More so than any other player in this draft.

Um, what exactly does "etc." mean in this context? Dont give me this crap about J. Staal having better linemates. The kid has been playing on the 4th line for about 90 percent of the season prior to being moved to the second line. Your argument does not hold up here.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab It's interesting to see that Hab prospects are getting recognized...merci.
Maxwell (2nd round) and White (3rd round) are having superb seasons in the WHL. They both (IMO) should have been chosen in 1st round...
Maybe even Mathieu Carle should have been chosen in 1st round...?

IMO, it's very fair that Fischer falls from 20th to 27th overall...'cause he's a very promising prospect, but a "project" prospect like someone else wrote before me...
------------------------------ ------------------ ---------------------------

Exactly...the 2006 Draft was definitely not considered as deep/good as the (for example) 2005 Draft...

Maxwell & White would probably be chosen in the 2nd Round of the 2005 Draft, NOT in the 1st Round (hypothetical, of course...just imagine an 18 year old Maxwell/White in 2005 & compare their value with all the talent in the 2005 Draft...).

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdanickoftime
how in the hell is backstrom 6th??, when he comes to the caps next year, a line with backstrom and ovechkin or semin, might be better then the pens line with crosby and malkin
--------------- ------------------

Don't want to start a war here!!;) :) , but...

I/we all love Crosby and Malkin (how can we/you not?! they're amazing for the NHL, the Pens & Pens' fans...).

But, next year...it could (also) be magic with Ovechkin, Semin, AND Backstrom.
Some have said that Backstrom was ready this year...
You/we never know...it all depends on how mature Backstrom is, will be next year.
I hear/read that he's already very developed and could be very ready next season...
Also, he's compared to Forsberg (or a poor man's version of Forsberg...a Forsberg with a little less grit).
And, Semin sometimes looks/skates/handles the puck like Ovechkin! (sometimes!).

We might have some interesting polls next year!!:
Crosby, Malkin, Staal VS Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom

I'd still predict that the Crosby trio would win in a poll, but the Ovechkin trio could make it very entertaining (it's good for the NHL to have competition for Crosby & Co.), we'll just have to wait and see...

itzabreeze

Jul 12, 2006
I'm curious on where people would rank Juraj Simek now considering that he came over to NA, and the fact that in his first year, and is putting up pretty big numbers. Would he fit in the 2nd round of the draft somewhere?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->