If Team Sweden was a NHL-team, would they win the cup?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Filip Forsberg - Nicklas Bäckström - William Nylander
Viktor Arvidsson - Mika Zibanejad - Rickard Rakell
Elias Lindholm - William Karlsson - Jakob Silfverberg
Gabriel Landeskog - Mikael Backlund - Patric Hörnqvist

Mattias Ekholm - Erik Karlsson
Hampus Lindholm - John Klingberg
Victor Hedman - Oliver Ekman Larsson

Henrik Lundqvist
Jacob Markström

Lets ignore that the cap even existst....

Was tough to leave out veterans like Sedins, Z, Loui etc....but i wanted young fast team....

Is this team good enough to win the cup? Does it have enough grit?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If team Sweden were an NHL team, they would still need to comply with the salary cap. So considering that they would have to water down their team significantly due to that, who knows.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
That D can help out so much offensively that it doesn't matter that Sweden might not have a superstar up front. Plenty of good forwards, still.

edit: "Plenty of good forwards, still." made it sound worse than it is lol. As pointed out below the depth is pretty crazy. Forsberg, Arvidsson, Rakell can all hit +30 goals. Zibs, Hornie and Landeskog are all good for about 25 goals.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Their blueline is unreal, and the 4th line of forwards has multiple 50+ point guys on it.

Reactions: Morrison

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
what a team.

imagine if the nhl played in the olympics this year.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Filip Forsberg - Nicklas Bäckström - William Nylander
Viktor Arvidsson - Mika Zibanejad - Rickard Rakell
Elias Lindholm - William Karlsson - Jakob Silfverberg
Gabriel Landeskog - Mikael Backlund - Patric Hörnqvist

Mattias Ekholm - Erik Karlsson
Hampus Lindholm - John Klingberg
Victor Hedman - Oliver Ekman Larsson

Henrik Lundqvist
Jacob Markström

Lets ignore that the cap even existst....

Was tough to leave out veterans like Sedins, Z, Loui etc....but i wanted young fast team....

Is this team good enough to win the cup? Does it have enough grit?
Now make team Canada, also ignoring the cap, and you have your answer...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Sweden's defense alone would get you the Stanley Cup. You could make a team with the Coyotes forwards and Sweden's defense and it would win the Stanley Cup.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Anyone care to calculate the cap hit?

I guess it's fun to project such things but as was said you've got essentially an uncapped national all star squad vs capped NHL teams that, I assume, would be missing these Swedish players. I suppose offseason style threads are the norm these days lol

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
What does that have to do with the question? It's pretty obvious team Canada would win the cup as they would be insanely stacked, guess that's why OP didnt make a thread about it?

Because the NHL has rules that serve everyone. No one is excused from them. A team owner could make a whole Swedish team, but he would still have to respect the rules, the most important being the cap.

As stated, the thread/question is beyond silly: take all the best players from one of the top 2-3 hockey nations in the world and make a team that doesn't have to follow the cap, while everyone else has to? Of course they would win the Cup with a super stacked team, who wouldn't.
So, what's the purpose of this thread? To massage the ego of Swedish fans, me thinks. To that, I says do the same with Canada and see what happens. We all know what would happen: no ego massage for our Swedish friends.

A better idea would be to ask this all-Swedish team question, but CAP COMPLIANT. That would be a serious question, not a "please tell me how good I am. Praise me now". Got it?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
The defense would pretty easily be the best in the league. I'd put Strålman there with Hedman though.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
You definitely want Zetterberg in that lineup. He scored 68 points on a terrible team last year with no help from the defense. Pretty sure he'd more than hold his own surrounded by that.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Not to be mean, but what kind of stupid question is that? At least Sweden, Canada, USA and Russia would smoke the rest of the NHL. Finland too probably, but their current offense doesn't make up for defense to the same degree as Russia's.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Because the NHL has rules that serve everyone. No one is excused from them. A team owner could make a whole Swedish team, but he would still have to respect the rules, the most important being the cap.

As stated, the thread/question is beyond silly: take all the best players from one of the top 2-3 hockey nations in the world and make a team that doesn't have to follow the cap, while everyone else has to? Of course they would win the Cup with a super stacked team, who wouldn't.
So, what's the purpose of this thread? To massage the ego of Swedish fans, me thinks. To that, I says do the same with Canada and see what happens. We all know what would happen: no ego massage for our Swedish friends.

A better idea would be to ask this all-Swedish team question, but CAP COMPLIANT. That would be a serious question, not a "please tell me how good I am. Praise me now". Got it?

I mean if anything the quesiton op poses is belitteling the swedish player crop. But sure if you want to create a thread asking if team canada would be able to win the cup go ahead, my bet is that everyone would agree.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014

If anything it's the other way around, like psycat said. Just putting the question out there makes it like this could even be legitimately questioned to begin with, which it can't.

What's it to you if the OP's intent was to massage Swedish egos though?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad