If Team Canada was an actual team in the NHL, how would they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaBear*

Would they win the cup, say they played a full 82 game season?

Nash, Thornton, Smyth, Heatley, Doan, Morrison, Morrow, Marleau, Draper, Hannan, Boyle, Redden, Brodeur, Luongo

RoyIsALegend*

They'd win the Stanley Cup on a rather consistent basis if Mark Habshclown was fired and John Tortorella had this bunch.

PapaBear*

RoyIsALegend said:
They'd win the Stanley Cup on a rather consistent basis if Mark Habshclown was fired and John Tortorella had this bunch.

haha i agree. Or sutter!

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
They'd be the favourite every year. Not winning the Stanley Cup would be sizable upset.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
If they didn't have Brodeur or Lulongo, I would put them right up their with the Rangers of 2-3 years ago. Tons of talent, little chemistry throughout the lineup and half assed play.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
RoyIsALegend said:

All these Habschied comments have got me thinking... remember when no on gave Pat Quinn credit for the coaching job he did with the previous Team Canada teams? I guess coaches do something, even if it is an all star team.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Well how do you miss Scottie Walker on the game sheet? Canada couldn't have won that game because even if they outscore the Swedes, they just have to protest and the game is over-turned.

It's my feeling that he doesn't have enough experience at motivating older players. I'd like to see him get a job with an AHL club first, get some experience and then from there move to a WHC team.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
PapaBear said:

Nash, Thornton, Smyth, Heatley, Doan, Morrison, Morrow, Marleau, Draper, Hannan, Boyle, Redden, Brodeur, Luongo

I love how you mention Hannan and Boyle, but no Jovanovski.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Well, this unit would cost too much anyways... :biglaugh:

It wouldn't win the Cup, because Luongo wouldn't stand playing second fiddle all season.

Seriously, fantasy-wise, it would fare pretty well. But it would get ass-kicked by the 2002 SLC team, and 2004 WC team. Not even close.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
nikki9 said:
I'd pick Sutter over Tortelinni anytime!!!

mmm, im hungry

obviously Canada would rip the watered down 30 team NHL

Would be like NHL 94 when Messier plays for NYR and Canada when they play eachother. Messier checks Messier into the boards!!!

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Le Golie said:
They'd be the favourite every year. Not winning the Stanley Cup would be sizable upset.
Well, dumping Lalime and Bonk will help. Of course, getting Spezza lots of ice time should boost his confidence. But all in all, I agree with your assessment.

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
a team like this could never be in the NHL... economics could ever allow it. Luongo would never be playing the backup role full time... there are too many guys that could be playing in higher roles on other teams, and this leads directly to earning power, so I doubt you'd be able to keep a team like this together, without some serious cash and/or some unhappy players who would want bigger roles (and compensation that comes with it).

having said that, if you could keep a team like this together, they'd be Cup favorites every year - by a long shot.

Screw the chemistry issues right now. We are watching a team with only 8 players that have not taken a full year off. Give them a full training camp, and a season together and this group has way too much talent not to be the top team in the NHL. This is nothing like the Rangers and their talent, with no chemistry... this team kicks any Ranger's team's a$$ when it comes to overall talent level. This team also has all the intangibles - toughness, grit, skill, speed, size - that they would dominate in the NHL, and even more so on NHL ice, rather than international ice.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
wassup77 said:
How come PapaBear is starting these topics without ever discussing in them? :dunno:

Maybe he's guaging the reactions of others? Or maybe he was honestly curious and coudn't decide one way or the other. Who knows? :dunno:

That said, I think you'd have to consider them perrenial contenders.
Best two (maybe 3, depending on your opinion of Turco) goalies in the world? Check. Dominating first line? Check. Solid defense from top to bottom? Check.

Did I mention a group of "third line grinders" who are more than capable of playing regular duty on the second line and producing offensively?

These guys can all score, all play solid D. They just need time to mesh as a unit, something they just haven't been given. Chemistry doesn't have to be an overnight revelation. Sometimes it takes time. And with regards to the grit, leadership and hardwork Canada has, I tend to favor the latter. Will the duration of the WC's be enough time for the to get it right? I have no idea. But if they played 82 games as a unit.... Watch out.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
PapaBear said:

They would be the best nhl team of all time if they had a different coach, I dont think he has a full grasp on the pro player yet.

If this was an nhl team the payrole would exceed the Red Wings. Only the Leafs Wings, Avalanche, Flyers and Rangers could support this team.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
nuckfan in TO said:
Screw the chemistry issues right now. We are watching a team with only 8 players that have not taken a full year off. Give them a full training camp, and a season together and this group has way too much talent not to be the top team in the NHL. This is nothing like the Rangers and their talent, with no chemistry... this team kicks any Ranger's team's a$$ when it comes to overall talent level. This team also has all the intangibles - toughness, grit, skill, speed, size - that they would dominate in the NHL, and even more so on NHL ice, rather than international ice.

Of course they would dominate -- they have the equivalent of 2.5-3 lines of number one line players and 1-1.5 lines of 2nd line players and then Draper, plus 3 all-star goalies.

this thread always happens whenever a canadian national team plays, see the WJC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->