If Sergei Kostitsyn opts not to sign by June 1

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
you trade him.

(After his season last yr and perezoghin going to russia, he'll get a spot on the roster, but no point in monkeying around on his terms)

if he goes back into draft, he priobably goes around 12th. Even though hes more ready to go than other top 11 picks, some GMs won't like a high-profile kid (who has and is getting his chance), turning down offers going back into draft

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
Wow, you think 12th overall?

That's a bit high I think. I'm curious to hear some other opinions.

Thanks

he would be the most NHL ready talent in the draft, add in the excellent year he had in the ahl and he'd get picked around 12th.

The bottom 12 "pickers" aren't picking bottom 12 cause they couldn't use a scorer who is nhl ready now.

Thats my opinion.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
he would be the most NHL ready talent in the draft, add in the excellent year he had in the ahl and he'd get picked around 12th.

The bottom 12 "pickers" aren't picking bottom 12 cause they couldn't use a scorer who is nhl ready now.
Welll, he played in the OHL... and I think it's a stretch to say he's "NHL ready now" (although it's not entirely impossible that he could step in... but then, it's not entirely impossible that just about anybody from the top-2 rounds could as well... just not really likely or expected).

I don't really see why he'd opt to re-enter. Ok, maybe he/his agent wants to argue that his big junior season means he should get offered the rookie max. Great. So, worst case, give him the rookie max. Nobody can offer him more. Better that than losing him. And really, he'll almost certainly be in Hamilton for 1 or 2 years on that deal, so whether he's at the max or at something more like $500k (per his late-rounder draft status), it really makes no difference. If he's actually good enough to surprise us and make the Habs, who cares, $850-$875k or whatever is not too much of a burden to be paying him (per Latendresse) if he's that good.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Welll, he played in the OHL... and I think it's a stretch to say he's "NHL ready now" (although it's not entirely impossible that he could step in... but then, it's not entirely impossible that just about anybody from the top-2 rounds could as well... just not really likely or expected).

I don't really see why he'd opt to re-enter. Ok, maybe he/his agent wants to argue that his big junior season means he should get offered the rookie max. Great. So, worst case, give him the rookie max. Nobody can offer him more. Better that than losing him. And really, he'll almost certainly be in Hamilton for 1 or 2 years on that deal, so whether he's at the max or at something more like $500k (per his late-rounder draft status), it really makes no difference. If he's actually good enough to surprise us and make the Habs, who cares, $850-$875k or whatever is not too much of a burden to be paying him (per Latendresse) if he's that good.

i think he has him confused with andrei

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
I was thinking of aaaaaaaaaandrei.... I'm an idiot.

Sergei goes 2nd round. (I've always had it in my head that sergei was the older one for some reason)

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I'm quite sure he'll sign on to play with his brother in Montreal, atleast i'm really hoping. In the case that he does re-enter the draft I could see a team selecting as early as the 25-30 range in the first and I'd only see him slipping as far as mid second round.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I dunno, maybe I'm missing a little something, but after the last two seasons he's had in the OHL, the relatively "weak" depth of the draft year, and considering that both his linemates this year are considered top ten picks, I'd have a hard time believing that he would not be a for sure top 20 pick in the draft if he were to re-enter...

I'm praying that we don't have to find out!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
2nd-4th round. Somwhere in there. He's not going to go as high as a guy like Stoll went when he re-entered as I just don't think he's as GOOD as Stoll.

But because this draft sucks, he might go a bit higher.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
My biggest concern was Perzhogin signing for 1.7 after taxes. If Sergei is offered a similar contract he might opt to stay in Russia.

He won't, Perezhogin has already established himself as a first line player in Russia while Sergei Kostitsyn is a relatively unkown player.

shortcat1

Jan 25, 2005
Downtown Palau, ON
SK has already signed a contract with the Hamilton Bulldogs...

That's pretty well the last step to being signed by the Canadiens...

I'm pretty certain that the last step will take place...

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Montreal should get this guy signed ASAP after his monster year with London. Anyone know how contract talks are going with him?

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
2nd-4th round. Somwhere in there. He's not going to go as high as a guy like Stoll went when he re-entered as I just don't think he's as GOOD as Stoll.

But because this draft sucks, he might go a bit higher.

Maybe. Both Jarret Stoll (Flames pick) + Matthew Lombardi (Oilers pick) went higher the next time around and funny thing is that they essentially swapped picks.

Lombardi is tearing it up at the WHC so a re-entrant pick isn't always bad.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
you trade him.

(After his season last yr and perezoghin going to russia, he'll get a spot on the roster, but no point in monkeying around on his terms)

if he goes back into draft, he priobably goes around 12th. Even though hes more ready to go than other top 11 picks, some GMs won't like a high-profile kid (who has and is getting his chance), turning down offers going back into draft
You mean back to the Habs ;)

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
SK has already signed a contract with the Hamilton Bulldogs...

That's pretty well the last step to being signed by the Canadiens...

I'm pretty certain that the last step will take place...

It was a tryout contract, and it has been cleared anyway. However, I think he will sign...why would he want to go back into the draft?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
you trade him.

12th eh? Now who holds the 12th pick??????????;) I doubt if he goes back in the draft he'll go 12th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->