If Phoenix gets expansion. Is Murelo the owner?

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
No, Coyotes have had zero success save for 2012 season...look at Chicago an original 6 franchise and they didn't draw dick for number of years because the team was awful. Was Chicago then a 'bad market'? Nope, just a market w/a bad team and the fans didn't show up.

Same goes for the Coyotes...put a successful team on the ice and people will come out in droves to watch them play. Everyone likes to be a part of a winner

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong
So if they'd won in Glendale, people would've driven out there? I thought the location was the issue. Or wait, it was ownership. Or wait, it was the threat of moving...

Reactions: The Lighthouse

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
So if they'd won in Glendale, people would've driven out there? I thought the location was the issue. Or wait, it was ownership. Or wait, it was the threat of moving...

Honestly? I think so. At least during the playoffs and the weekend games. Definitely would've had more people in the building than what happened for the 25-30 years we didn't win (which is clearly part of the problem of us not ever being able to attract fans).

Enough to make the team profitable in the long term? Who knows. And obviously ownership / threat of moving didn't help things either. Seems to me like some version of "all of the above" which I think most if not all ppl would agree with (certainly most everyone who follows the team enough to be a regular commenter in these boards).

Not sure what your point is

Reactions: Cameron Poe Dameron

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Was definitely a combination of all factors. Location was not ideal, but a winning team alleviates that. Stable ownership would have alleviated that. Not having relocation looming over our heads would have alleviated that.

Summer, out of all the posters in this forum / board, if I don't stay active here, I'll miss you the most. Somehow you have stayed nice throughout every disagreement and all of the nonsense we have endured, including on the main boards.

Thank you. I mean that sincerely

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Summer, out of all the posters in this forum / board, if I don't stay active here, I'll miss you the most. Somehow you have stayed nice throughout every disagreement and all of the nonsense we have endured, including on the main boards.

Thank you. I mean that sincerely
If we had a Masterton trophy here, she'd get my nomination.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Below is an article about independent investment banks running sales processes and financings for sports franchises. It is a *big* business. The NHL should have done it here to ensure independence.

Wall Street Hunts Sports Fees After Record $25 Billion in Deals
Sure, if the sale was to buyer keeping the team in the AZ market. That is not the case here. The NHL controls if the team moves and to where, they hold the cards, it is in the agreement. Forcing a sale is much tougher, they need a reason to do it that would hold up in court. The NHL is getting into a market they wanted to get into, with a known sports owner, close location to AZ, so smae conference, no juggling, even plane flight re roughly the same for teams.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I know

It's probably how most of us feel, but step back and take a deep breath. Meruelo was losing a ton of money every year, the NHL came to him, and he still didn't want to sell even then. We are just being greedy from our end. Look at the players and their families. When Bettman spelled it out, and whether you like it or not he was correct. It hurts, it really hurts, but that is life.
What GB and AM didn't say, is that the offer to move to Utah came up at a very high price. When GB spoke with AM March 6th, the offer was much lower, when it went to $1.2 billion, the NHL and AM couldn't pass it up. Before then, AM never had any offers in that price range or even close to it the past few years.

If the offer was $600 million, $500 for AM and $100 for the NHL, this deal doesn't happen.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What GB and AM didn't say, is that the offer to move to Utah came up at a very high price. When GB spoke with AM March 6th, the offer was much lower, when it went to $1.2 billion, the NHL and AM couldn't pass it up. Before then, AM never had any offers in that price range or even close to it the past few years.

If the offer was $600 million, $500 for AM and $100 for the NHL, this deal doesn't happen.
Where did you hear there was another offer? It was my understanding that Bettman reached out to Smith and said this is what it would take to get a team now. I don't any of us will know for sure how this deal went down.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Where did you hear there was another offer? It was my understanding that Bettman reached out to Smith and said this is what it would take to get a team now. I don't any of us will know for sure how this deal went down.
They have been talking to Smith for 2 years, listen to the presser. My point is, and you are right none of us have first hand knowledge, that the deal got done because of a huge offer that didn't exist before some time after March 6th from Smith or anyone else. It has little to do with the players or NLHPA forcing anything or doing the right thing for anyone. Until now, $1.2 billion didn';t exist as an offer, nothing close to it. AM didn't like the idea originally because of the price, once the offer was much higher, he warmed up to it, funny how that works:)

AM purchased the team because of rising franchise values, sold it for the same reason, and has an option for the same reason, a new franchise could be worth $2 billion or more in 5 yeaars, he has an option at $1.2 billion. Its all economics, nothing else.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They have been talking to Smith for 2 years, listen to the presser. My point is, and you are right none of us have first hand knowledge, that the deal got done because of a huge offer that didn't exist before some time after March 6th from Smith or anyone else. It has little to do with the players or NLHPA forcing anything or doing the right thing for anyone. Until now, $1.2 billion didn';t exist as an offer, nothing close to it. AM didn't like the idea originally because of the price, once the offer was much higher, he warmed up to it, funny how that works:)

AM purchased the team because of rising franchise values, sold it for the same reason, and has an option for the same reason, a new franchise could be worth $2 billion or more in 5 yeaars, he has an option at $1.2 billion. Its all economics, nothing else.
Smith asked for an expansion franchise. I doubt they were talking anything Coyote's two years ago.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think it would be more beneficial for everyone to move forward and not worry or complain or throw insults etc. It would be nice if fans would voice their concerns to the COP about losing the Coyote's. To our Governor stating the same. Losing the Coyote's doesn't only affect the fans, but also the cities and state. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I think it would be more beneficial for everyone to move forward and not worry or complain or throw insults etc. It would be nice if fans would voice their concerns to the COP about losing the Coyote's. To our Governor stating the same. Losing the Coyote's doesn't only affect the fans, but also the cities and state. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Half the Valley isn't aware the Coyotes existed. Places like Page, Agua Prieta, and Show Low don't care.

People had 28 years to show everyone they cared about the team and didn't. End of story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad