If needed in the PO, which Moose D would you call up?

If needed in the playoffs, which Moose D would you call up?

• Total voters

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
It's the later rounds in the playoffs and the Jets D has been decimated with injuries. Who do you call up? Niku is a stud offensively and 8 of his 13 goals have been scored on the PP but he likely would not get PP time. Is he good enough defensively? Schilling was an All Star and leads the D in plus minus (I know... ). Stoykewych is close behind Schilling in both points per game and plus minus. And then there is Melchiori who has a big body and has played more NHL games than all the rest put together.

Does Melchiori get the call?

1430MaroonsRoad

Sep 14, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Not Stoykewych - he has an AHL only deal. If he signed a two-way deal now he wouldn’t be eligible for the playoffs.

My callup would be Niku - he’s been playing a lot on the right side lately, so he’s got that versatility.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Melch knows his limitations at the NHL level. Niku doesn't. The playoffs is not the time for him to find out what those limitations are. Let's hope it doesn't come to this.

Yes, his limitatons are playing hockey at the NHL level. We'd be better off icing 5 dmen and rotating pairings, he'd kill us, even in a limited role.;)

Either way if we're calling up one of them we're 5-6 injuries deep, and yeah we'd be screwed.

Roofgoat

Feb 5, 2015
Rural Missouri
It's the later rounds in the playoffs and the Jets D has been decimated with injuries. Who do you call up? Niku is a stud offensively and 8 of his 13 goals have been scored on the PP but he likely would not get PP time. Is he good enough defensively? Schilling was an All Star and leads the D in plus minus (I know... ). Stoykewych is close behind Schilling in both points per game and plus minus. And then there is Melchiori who has a big body and has played more NHL games than all the rest put together.

Does Melchiori get the call?

Jay Harrison - need some size and intimidation. Ragdoll enforcer.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I have some concern on how Niku's 1st NHL game would be a playoff game. No way of knowing how that kind of pressure could effect a prospect. I would probably call up Schilling, though they would probably call Melchiori. Darkhorse: Nogier, if he performs well coming off his injury.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Stoykewych cannot be called up. He is not signed by the Jets. And since it is past the deadline, even if the Jets were to sign him between now and the playoffs, he would be ineligible for the playoffs. So he is not an option.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Ostensibly if we needed them to play, I'd pick Niku. If it was someone to just ride the pine, I'd pick Stoykewych or Melchiori, and have Niku play big minutes in the Calder Cup playoffs.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I remember Boston easing Krug in during a playoff run after his first season of pro in the AHL. If it really came down to it they might be able to do that with Niku. Melchiori would be first though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad