Line Combos: If Marleau plays in the top nine, which forward from 16/17 Leafs is pushed down?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Marleau is not going to play on 4th line, he is going to be a winger on either Matthews, Kadri or Bozie's line unless JVR is traded, so it's either going to be Hyman or Komorov. If JVR stay then what you do with Kapanen? is he going back to AHL even though he deserve to be with big club

The logical solution is to trade JVR

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marleau is not going to play on 4th line, he is going to be a winger on either Matthews, Kadri or Bozie's line unless JVR is traded, so it's either going to be Hyman or Komorov. If JVR stay then what you do with Kapanen? is he going back to AHL even though he deserve to be with big club

The logical solution is to trade JVR

I would say Kappy and Sosh return to the AHL.
If Hyman stays with Matthews, then I can see Brown on the 4th line with Moore and Martin.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
I wonder if we could see Marleau-Matthews-Hyman.

The problem with Hyman was that he couldn't convert his many HDCFs, whereas Nylander didn't go to those high danger areas often enough. Marleau does both.

Agree completely.

Hyman should be replaced on the top line. Just find a better version of Hyman. That's probably why Babcock lobbied so hard for Marleau to jump ship. We do not know if anything was promised of where he would play in the line up.

Nylander, he's not winger. He hardly ever tries to beat anybody wide along the boards. And he hardly ever heads straight for the net without the puck. He likes to hold onto the puck, and wait for someone else to that. That's playing like a center not a winger. As for the forecheck, forget about it, just throw it in Hyman's corner and let him get the puck.

Matthews should have two new linemates this season.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Is it possible we see Hyman slowly transition to be the LW defensive shutdown winger Komarov is to Kadri?

Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Moore-Komarov gives 2 reliable defensive match up lineups (similar to when Babcock used Kadri and Boyle to match up against Toews and Kane line each).

This would also give the other 2 lines especially the JVR-Bozak-Marner line extremely sheltered mins.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
We were strong on wing. Marleau I believe is here to allow nylander to transition to C. That will be our 1-2 punch going forward. Bozak will be one out. Montreal is in desperate need of C. Trade him within division for overpayment like 1st and prospect. I think they will bite.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Until there is a trade, I'd be willing to see how JVR fits with Matthews and Nylander and have Marleau fill JVR's spot with Bozak and Marner. Hyman moves down to the 4th.

JVR/Matthews/Nylander
Komarov/Kadri/Brown
Marleau/Bozak/Marner
Martin/Moore/Hyman

I'm not sure Marleau, at his age, has the legs to withstand 1st line minutes and I think Babcock would like to use Matthew's line more than last year. Marleau's ATOI has been decreasing the past three years, last year's being lower than any time since the 2002/3 season (Hockey Reference). That said, playing 15/16 minutes/game with Bozak and Marner would reduce the stress, still allow him to snipe with Marner setting him up and offer a great option on the 2nd PP unit, while offering a far better effort defensively than JVR does. What the team is paying any player at this time has no relationship to how much or where they play in the line-up. That changes when they re-sign MNM.

Regardless of where they play him, the above, or any scenario puts the inclusion of Kapanen/Leivo/Soshnikov into the line-up on hold. Which to me screams trade. We know who the main suspects are, I'm hoping Lou can make something happen.

Kind of the lineup I was thinking of as well.
Marleau may play with AM on the PP?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm less worried about Matthews point totals and more interested in that lines effectiveness

I'm the first to admit Hyman has hands of stone but that line was beyond good for the last third of the season and during the playoffs

Hyman is playing his part doing a lot of defensive work and fighting for the puck in the corners so those two kids can do what they do best and not waste there time along the boards winning the puck in the first place

For all Marleau's scoring prowess I'm not sure he's suitable for the other jobs that Hyman excels at which suites the other two's style of game

He's making 6+ million per year I can't see him not getting a shot with Matthews and Nylander

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We were strong on wing. Marleau I believe is here to allow nylander to transition to C. That will be our 1-2 punch going forward. Bozak will be one out. Montreal is in desperate need of C. Trade him within division for overpayment like 1st and prospect. I think they will bite.

Babcock was already asked if Nylander would play center this year he said no, he didn't give some answer like "well we will see where he fits best for our team." he said no, so unless this team is killed with injury and his hand is forced Nylander won't play center this year

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
I think moving Komorov down would spread the scoring out even more.

Hyman Matthews Nylander
JvR Bozak Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
Komorov Moore Kapanen

Top 3 fwd group in the league. This 3rd line had nearly 80 goals last season and the bottom six can play defensively as well as they can score.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014

Hyman Matthews Nylander
JvR Bozak Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
Komorov Moore Kapanen

Top 3 fwd group in the league. This 3rd line had nearly 80 goals last season and the bottom six can play defensively as well as they can score.
First of all moving Komarov down would really spread the scoring yeah just like you said: Only for the opposite team. They would score like a mother against us then. Komarov Kadri is the key duo for us to play against the toughest opponents and greatest nhl players in the world. Just like they did last season. And even then: Komarov and kadri score too. Against the best players in the world. So yeah: You are wrong in so many counts.
Glad you ain't our gm or coach, because the opposite teams would score a whole lot against our rear ends.
It ain't just about the scoring ourselves, it's about not allowing goals too.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
T
First of all moving Komarov down would really spread the scoring yeah just like you said: Only for the opposite team. They would score like a mother against us then. Komarov Kadri is the key duo for us to play against the toughest opponents and greatest nhl players in the world. Just like they did last season. And even then: Komarov and kadri score too. Against the best players in the world. So yeah: You are wrong in so many counts.
Glad you ain't our gm or coach, because the opposite teams would score a whole lot against our rear ends.
It ain't just about the scoring ourselves, it's about not allowing goals too.

I didn't think Kadri, Brown or Marleau are bad defensively and it would make our 4th line even better defensively with the addition of Komorov and the removal of Martin. No need for the " I'm so glad you're not our gm or coach" bit. If I were GM, the rebuild wouldve started a lot earlier. Also something of note..Pitts bottom six isn't full of D minded players either. Maybe I am "wrong on so many counts" but the OP asked for an opinion and I gave it. In any case, cheers to what should be a fun season regardless who is right or wrong.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Just put Marleau on the 4th line.

All he's good for anyways. The Bautista of hockey #bust

Honestly though, JvR is not going to play 4th line. Komarov and Kadri are staying together. Matthews and Hyman are staying together.

Therefore Marleau --> 4th line LW with Moore and Martin. Who needs MNM when you have MMM?

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Hyman Matthews Nylander
JvR Bozak Marner
Marleau Kadri Brown
Komorov Moore Kapanen

Hyman Matthews Nylander
Marleau Bozak Marner
Kapanen Kadri Brown
Komorov Moore Leivo/Sosh

* Brown, Marleau and Kapanen can interchange in this set up to whatever chemistry is best in Babcocks eyes.

* JVR traded

* Nylander is the most un known player for me on this team, is he the #2 center that Babcock wants how can he prove that without Bozak sitting or being moved. Nylander has proven nothing at center at this level. The first 10 games will be interesting too see where they slot in. If Nylander proves he is ready, Marner I feel moves to line #1. But are the Leafs convinced they are stronger with Marner and Matthews driving lines on there own.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It is baffling that poster after poster still proposes lineups in which Martin is not playing. It is not happening. Zero chance. Babs is not going to sacrifice the protection of his young stars to play a 4th line that scores a couple more goals.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Just put Marleau on the 4th line.

All he's good for anyways. The Bautista of hockey #bust

Honestly though, JvR is not going to play 4th line. Komarov and Kadri are staying together. Matthews and Hyman are staying together.

Therefore Marleau --> 4th line LW with Moore and Martin. Who needs MNM when you have MMM?

at 6+ million per I have to think that at some point we will see Marleau-Matthews-Nylander together

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It is baffling that poster after poster still proposes lineups in which Martin is not playing. It is not happening. Zero chance. Babs is not going to sacrifice the protection of his young stars to play a 4th line that scores a couple more goals.

I agree it's not happening. I wish it would though, the deterrent role is a mirage.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I agree it's not happening. I wish it would though, the deterrent role is a mirage.

Again Nith, too many people seem to only focus on the protection thing. That's not the only reason he's here.
How many times have we heard Babcock say he wants to play a greasy, heavy game at the same time. It's a contact sport, until hitting is removed, until wearing out opponents down low with hits and cycle game is not allowed in the NHL, you need guys that can give and take in the physical department.
JVR is not physically dominating anyone. Neither is Bozak. Why do people love when Kadri hits and plays with an edge? To quote Babcock, "it's a mans game."
Fights happen in the game (not just for protection purposes) and you'd rather Martin in the box for 5 minutes than Kadri. You can't just let the opponent hit Matthews/Marner/Nylander all game long. Clean hits. There is no policing of clean hits. We can't be leaned on for 60 minutes. We can't allow the D to have all night to make a play without being touched.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Again Nith, too many people seem to only focus on the protection thing. That's not the only reason he's here.
How many times have we heard Babcock say he wants to play a greasy, heavy game at the same time. It's a contact sport, until hitting is removed, until wearing out opponents down low with hits and cycle game is not allowed in the NHL, you need guys that can give and take in the physical department.
JVR is not physically dominating anyone. Neither is Bozak. Why do people love when Kadri hits and plays with an edge? To quote Babcock, "it's a mans game."
Fights happen in the game (not just for protection purposes) and you'd rather Martin in the box for 5 minutes than Kadri. You can't just let the opponent hit Matthews/Marner/Nylander all game long. Clean hits. There is no policing of clean hits. We can't be leaned on for 60 minutes. We can't allow the D to have all night to make a play without being touched.

Now this I can agree with.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
T

I didn't think Kadri, Brown or Marleau are bad defensively and it would make our 4th line even better defensively with the addition of Komorov and the removal of Martin. No need for the " I'm so glad you're not our gm or coach" bit. If I were GM, the rebuild wouldve started a lot earlier. Also something of note..Pitts bottom six isn't full of D minded players either. Maybe I am "wrong on so many counts" but the OP asked for an opinion and I gave it. In any case, cheers to what should be a fun season regardless who is right or wrong.
I was drinking heavily on the coffee side when I wrote that glad you wasn't the gm of us dirt. I apologize that dirt right there, sire.

You see many thangs correctly and the whole picture is very clear. So this debate of ours or sighting of the komarov place is only welcome. You is very right with the penguins D dirt and we have a better team already than them. We have so much talent upfront on the war tandem. We don't need great d-personel anymore to win big stanley cups. That's my own quote back in the day like 4 months ago. We good to go sire.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Had the exact same thoughts but didn't want to start another sencseless battle when we all know Martin is going to be in the line up.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Had the exact same thoughts but didn't want to start another sencseless battle when we all know Martin is going to be in the line up.

The debate rages. LOL.
You'd think we had 12 Martin's in the lineup. We have one. On the 4th line. To play heavy, to do the things that a NHL game requires.
I like Martin on the 4th as much as I like a Polak on the 3rd pair.
It's great when Marner or Rielly PK but I don't want them blocking shots over and over. That's for Polak. I also want to make sure someone doesn't have carte blanche on Andersen when it's time to move a player out of the crease, that's Polak as well. Hainsey too.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
The debate rages. LOL.
You'd think we had 12 Martin's in the lineup. We have one. On the 4th line. To play heavy, to do the things that a NHL game requires.
I like Martin on the 4th as much as I like a Polak on the 3rd pair.
It's great when Marner or Rielly PK but I don't want them blocking shots over and over. That's for Polak. I also want to make sure someone doesn't have carte blanche on Andersen when it's time to move a player out of the crease, that's Polak as well. Hainsey too.
You definitely right right there. We needs them players who push others away. We needs them martins polaks and hainseys. Otherwise we loose like like goose. In top gun. Wich is coming again and they got cruise on board too.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's funny that Bacock now seems to be a coach who wont take his heavyweight out of the lineup, when for years his Detroit team was the model for not having one.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
JVR – Matthews – Nylander
Marleau – Bozak – Marner
Kapanen– Kadri – Brown
Hyman – Moore – Komarov
Martin

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It's funny that Bacock now seems to be a coach who wont take his heavyweight out of the lineup, when for years his Detroit team was the model for not having one.

Those teams he had in Detroit did not have 6-8 rookies in the lineup. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->