Line Combos: If Marleau plays in the top nine, which forward from 16/17 Leafs is pushed down?

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
The Leafs top nine forwards for most of last year was essentially

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander/Brown
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown/Nylander

The Leafs still have all of those players under contract (assuming Brown signs) and they also added Marleau. So my question is, which forward from the 2016/2017 Leafs will be pushed down to the 4th line? Or do you think that Marleau will play on the 4th line? Or do you think someone from the top nine will be traded?

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I would drop down one of Hyman or Komarov to start the year.

Unfortunately, there are likely to be injuries, so I would imagine all ten of these players will play the majority of the games they play in the top 9. That is, unless Kapanen or someone knocks them further down the depth chart.

There could be a trade as well, but I have no crystal ball.

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
it has to be hyman. or maybe brown.

Komarov's elite defense won't be taken off the checking line.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
They're not paying Marleau over 6 million to play on the bottom two lines. Hyman can display his grit and work ethic and all that in a role more appropriate to his skill level.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Whoever he has decent chemistry with. As long as the new addition to the 3rd or 4th line isn't disastrous with the new linemates. We'll know in october.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Hyman's compete level is as good as any NHL player. Marleau's game style is a good fit with Marner on paper, as Marleau can set up in the slot and be the trigger man. If JVR stays Kapanen is mis-cast on the 4th line and Leivo/Soshnikov sit. JVR isn't in the long term plan, time to groom other's for the #2 line. Only Hyman could be moved down but JVR and Bozak should be moved out of town. Worst case, Marleau is your #2 center with Marner and Kapanen potentially. Id tinker with moving Nylander and Marner giving Marner time with Matthews and Willy #2 center duties.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
it has to be hyman. or maybe brown.

Komarov's elite defense won't be taken off the checking line.

No way it should be Brown
The guy scored 20 goals as a rookie on a checking line

I'd like to see the Kadri line stay as is as well

The obvious answer is Hyman. The obvious answer for Babcock is anyone but Hyman.

The Matthews line was bloody good the last 3rd of the season and into the playoffs
Hyman played his part in that as limited as he may be

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
The easy answer seems to be just slotting Marleau into Hyman's spot

Marleau Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Moore Hyman

We'll see how Marleau fits into the lineup come training camp though or maybe a trade is made.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
The easy answer seems to be just slotting Marleau into Hyman's spot

Marleau Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Marner
Komarov Kadri Brown
Martin Moore Hyman

We'll see how Marleau fits into the lineup come training camp though or maybe a trade is made.
I really hate seeing JvR and Bozak written on the same line. When is this going to stop...

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
With the depth we have, and if we keep all forwards, I would actually try to make the most out of our fourth line. One way would be to move Komarov down and use it as a defensive line, taking secondary matchups and defensive zone draws.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Hyman for now. I'll be surprised if both Bozak and JVR are still Leafs by the end of the season.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Until there is a trade, I'd be willing to see how JVR fits with Matthews and Nylander and have Marleau fill JVR's spot with Bozak and Marner. Hyman moves down to the 4th.

JVR/Matthews/Nylander
Komarov/Kadri/Brown
Marleau/Bozak/Marner
Martin/Moore/Hyman

I'm not sure Marleau, at his age, has the legs to withstand 1st line minutes and I think Babcock would like to use Matthew's line more than last year. Marleau's ATOI has been decreasing the past three years, last year's being lower than any time since the 2002/3 season (Hockey Reference). That said, playing 15/16 minutes/game with Bozak and Marner would reduce the stress, still allow him to snipe with Marner setting him up and offer a great option on the 2nd PP unit, while offering a far better effort defensively than JVR does. What the team is paying any player at this time has no relationship to how much or where they play in the line-up. That changes when they re-sign MNM.

Regardless of where they play him, the above, or any scenario puts the inclusion of Kapanen/Leivo/Soshnikov into the line-up on hold. Which to me screams trade. We know who the main suspects are, I'm hoping Lou can make something happen.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Hyman.

The real answer: last season's team health was unusual. Usually several forwards miss blocks of games throughout the season. Most of the time someone will be out of the lineup meaning no one is pushed out of the top 9.

billius

Aug 19, 2017
Niagara
Apparently I can't vote (?) but it would be Hyman.
If Babs wants Martin in the lineup, I'd move Martin to the RW side.

I really see this as temporary until a move is made involving other winger(s).

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Apparently I can't vote (?) but it would be Hyman.
If Babs wants Martin in the lineup, I'd move Martin to the RW side.

I really see this as temporary until a move is made involving other winger(s).

yeah for some reason they let you post pretty much whatever you want as a new user, but you have to wait to earn the responsibility to click on a little circle in a poll

as for the poll I went with trade a top9 forward I think JVR sees 0 minutes with the leafs this season,

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
With the depth we have, and if we keep all forwards, I would actually try to make the most out of our fourth line. One way would be to move Komarov down and use it as a defensive line, taking secondary matchups and defensive zone draws.

That would distribute the minutes more evenly too.
Hyman Kadri Brown
Martin Moore Komo
Solid bottom 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad