If Malkin Was An Oiler, Would He Be The Top Centre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
This season McDavid is getting about 55% offensive zone starts whereas Malkin is getting close to 65% OZs. McDavid's advanced stats are better than Geno's.

McDavid is +19 playing a number one centre role on a team with a poor record and dismal goal differential whereas Malkin has the same plus/minus playing as the number two centre on a team that has won two Stanley Cups in a row and is gunning for a division title. McDavid averages more minutes per game than Malkin.

I think given Malkin's history of success playing behind Crosby, it would make sense for EDM opt to use him in the number 2C role and give him the occasional shift on the top line.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Hasn't Malkin always taken the 2nd tier match ups behind Crosby? McDavid thrives against top competition. I think Malkin would get the easier match ups. Their playing time would be close though.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Both are garbage at faceoffs. It would make sense to have a guy like Bergeron/Kopitar play 1C and have McDavid/Malkin play 2C to take advantage.

Here I think Malkin plays 1C, because he's got more experience. This let's McDavid focus on offense which he's better than anyone else at.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think it would be like with Crosby. He has the talent to be as good or better than McDavid some nights, but he doesn't have the consistency

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I think Malkin and McDavid would be interchangeable at 1c 2c or playing together with one on wing. they are both below average at face offs though. coaches preference, don't think you could go wrong with either at 1c.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
No. Malkin would be with Draisaitl and Puljujarvi to make up the best second line in the league.
Thinking about that...

It's the pleats.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Today at his age? Or if McDavid and Malkin started out at same time like Crosby and Malkin did?

Today McDavid is clearly #1 imo. Even Crosby would be #2 to McDavid. In some game situations they would strategically do a 1a/1b and such but no one is displacing McDavid in Edmonton at 1c

If question is about if they enter league at same time. I again think McDavid takes 1C role. His career started out better and he had way more hype coming out of juniors (very similar to Crosby).

bathdog

Oct 27, 2016
Assuming he'd get there somehow, whoever was there first would still be their 1C.

Ability wise both are obviously good enough to be the 1C, but Malkin's time near the top is limited. If they both arrived at the same time I'd want Malkin as my 1C (I doubt that'd be the case though as partially due to nationality and partially due to "McDavid is the future"), regardless if McDavid is slightly better atm or not, due to his higher level of experience, up until he starts declining more sharply.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I
Today at his age? Or if McDavid and Malkin started out at same time like Crosby and Malkin did?

Today McDavid is clearly #1 imo. Even Crosby would be #2 to McDavid. In some game situations they would strategically do a 1a/1b and such but no one is displacing McDavid in Edmonton at 1c

If question is about if they enter league at same time. I again think McDavid takes 1C role. His career started out better and he had way more hype coming out of juniors (very similar to Crosby).

No way would Crosby be number 2 centre to mcdavid

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Nope the pens are crosbys team.

Sid usually takes the top-matchups but Geno plays almost as much and takes 2nd hardest matchups. Sometimes the roles reverse. I'd say most teams have clearer #1 & #2 center difference. Penguins seem to have 1A & 1B kind of system.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I

No way would Crosby be number 2 centre to mcdavid

He probably would be. McDavid is the best ES player in the league and I think he'd get the most minutes no matter who plays C in his team.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Sid usually takes the top-matchups but Geno plays almost as much and takes 2nd hardest matchups. Sometimes the roles reverse. I'd say most teams have clearer #1 & #2 center difference. Penguins seem to have 1A & 1B kind of system.
I guess you can say that. Malkin is in a great situation as he gets the lesser matchup and always gets the shiny new toys first. Crosby has carried far more weight during their careers

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
He probably would be. McDavid is the best ES player in the league and I think he'd get the most minutes no matter who plays C in his team.
I personally believe if Crosby was traded to the oilers today McDavid would probably want Crosby as number 1.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I guess you can say that. Malkin is in a great situation as he gets the lesser matchup and always gets the shiny new toys first. Crosby has carried far more weight during their careers
This also doesn't mean Malkin cant carry a team, as he has proved multiple times he can do so with Crosby out of the lineup.

Reactions: 29GoalHoglund
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad