If impasse is declared

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockon83

Mar 22, 2004
Manhattan(MA native)
Well I looked through the last 5 pages of threads and saw nothing similar.

If the NHL declares impasse, they then get to set up the economic system any way they like, as far as I understand. The NHL obviously would like to keep all 30 teams in place. What kind of system would they set up if it was at 100% their discretion? A very low salary cap? Linkage? What other changes would they put in place? Would they cut ticket prices drastically?

Impasse appears to me to be the best possible solution, as it solves all economic aspects of the game. As far as talent goes, it may take a few years to come fully back to the level the NHL was, but in the meantime it will still be the best league there is.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i believe they can only implement whatever their final proposal to the union is.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Newp.

The one that would be implemented would be the 54% linkage offer, by the way. A lot of things in that one went unspecified in that one, and the league could try to get away with a great deal. The worse they make it, though, the harder it would be to win a challenge in front of the NLRB.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Steve L said:
So is this why they offered 2 proposals at the same time so they could choose which to impliment via impasse?

I don't think either of thier last proposals, at least as reported, could be implemented. They need to offer a full, comprehensive CBA. Whatever the implement has to have been presented to the PA first.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
this is correct. The reason it has to be the last global offer is that the players have to vote on it before calling a strike. If the players reject it the offer and strike, they can then make an unfair labour practice submission to the nlrb.

The owners have to walk this fine line - an offer that meets their needs but also one that will cause a lot of players to vote for it. If the players vote is 49% in favour of the offer and 51% against, it makes it pretty tough for the nhlpa to win an unfair labour practice suit. If the offer is so draconian that 90% of the players vote against it, then the union has a strong leg to stand on.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
Mr Sakich said:
this is correct. The reason it has to be the last global offer is that the players have to vote on it before calling a strike. If the players reject it the offer and strike, they can then make an unfair labour practice submission to the nlrb.

The owners have to walk this fine line - an offer that meets their needs but also one that will cause a lot of players to vote for it. If the players vote is 49% in favour of the offer and 51% against, it makes it pretty tough for the nhlpa to win an unfair labour practice suit. If the offer is so draconian that 90% of the players vote against it, then the union has a strong leg to stand on.
Im sure the NHLPA has a system in place where anyone votes for a proposal loses benefits from them or they will get a visit from the NHLPA mob.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
hawker14 said:
i believe they can only implement whatever their final proposal to the union is.

yea that is true, and that's why they will include linkage as an option in every one of there future offers. Like on the 17th they said option A is linkage 54%, option B hard cap at 37.5...if impasse is declared, linkage at 54% will be in place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad