If I was Bettman

Status
Not open for further replies.

thrash27

Sep 14, 2004
If I was Bettman. First off I would get the season off on time any way I could. That is the most important thing. Then I would advertise the game on TV as mush as I could. I would put a commercial on Sunday and Monday night football every week. I would also put commercials on big shows. Then each team would advertise there team and the game of hockey on broadcasts of other sports from there city. Etc. On every came of the Atlanta braves, falcons, hawks TV broadcast I would put a commercial of the Atlanta thrashers. The commercials would show the toughness of hockey with showing fight and hitting scenes and I would introduce star players to the people. I would also list the dates of the next games. Then next year I would change some rules in the game of hockey to make it more exciting. First I would make the goals a little bigger and make the pads a little smaller. That would take care of the scoring. You can only have 5 icings a period. If you get a sixth icing you get a two minute penalty. Then with all penalties you have to stay in the whole time even if the other team scores. Then for every win you get 3 points and 0 points if you lose in regulation. Then if you’re tied after regulation you go to 5 minute overtime. Like it is now. The winner gets 2 points and the loser gets one. If it’s still tied you go to a shootout. Winner gets 2 points and the loser gets 1. I would leave all the teams where they are now. I would also make shore the teams with old arenas get new ones. Devils, Penguins, Islanders.

What would you do to help hockey.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
If I was bettman I'd probably quit and move to a tropical paradise and get away from all this stuff.

I mean

Bettman -> :banghead: <- Union

Senor Rational

Feb 11, 2004
St. Louis
If I was Bettman Id take the 39 and a half foot pole outta my anus

...then id realize how badly I screwed up hockey and let hockey fans put it back in

Salgari

Apr 29, 2004
www.myspace.com
I was going to post a thread on this...
How would you market the nhl? We know it's a damn exciting sport, how do we make everyone else know it too? We have the ice, we have the speed, we have the young exciting players...
How would you combine everything?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Biscarat said:
How would you market the nhl? We know it's a damn exciting sport, how do we make everyone else know it too? We have the ice, we have the speed, we have the young exciting players...
If I were Bettman I would hang myself after I jammed a huge stick up my ass.

degroat*

thrash27 said:
If I was Bettman. First off I would get the season off on time any way I could. That is the most important thing.

The most important thing is solidifying the league's financial situation for the future of the league, regardless of how many games are missed.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Stich said:
The most important thing is solidifying the league's financial situation for the future of the league, regardless of how many games are missed.

But the more games are missed, the harder solidifying the league's financial situation will be. If they can get the league running by January, it will probably be okay. But if an entire season is cancelled, there are at least half a dozen clubs that will have alienated their fan base beyond the point of reconciliation, and that is being bery optimistic.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Biscarat said:
Please make that thread.... i've got crazy ideas that might save the day.

degroat*

darkboy said:
But the more games are missed, the harder solidifying the league's financial situation will be. If they can get the league running by January, it will probably be okay. But if an entire season is cancelled, there are at least half a dozen clubs that will have alienated their fan base beyond the point of reconciliation, and that is being bery optimistic.

I'm not saying that that's impossible, but the last work stoppage was followed by an INCREASE in per game attendance. Expecting that again would be extremely optimistic, but I don't think you'd see what happened to the Expos happen to teams in the NHL for a few reasons:

1. The CBA that came out of Baseball's strike made it harder for the Expos [and other small market teams] to compete.

2. Hockey fans are of a different breed than baseball fans. Most people that attend games will still continue to attend the same amount of games following the strike.

3. If there is a full year missed, there will be a CBA in place that allows the half dozen teams you speak of to put together a better roster for the same amount of money.

Solak

Dec 24, 2003
Rochester, MN
Visit site
I hate the thought of no hockey this season but the two sides need to fix the CBA so this doesn't happen again in the near future. Apparently the owners agreed to the last CBA ten years ago even though they weren't too happy with it, and look where that got us now. So first priority is agreeing on a new CBA that both sides actually like so we're not going through this again. Then after the lockout is over there are going to have to be some kind of rule changes to make games higher scoring. As somewhat of a traditionalist I don't like messing with the rules all the time, however, like baseball and the homerun race we need something to attract a new audience. I really hate saying that but it seems as if there aren't enough of us diehards. :shakehead

ak47

May 21, 2004
Hockey people have to stop thinking of it as a sacred game run by insiders and start thinking of hockey as a unique business. Rich Winter said of Kevin Lowe, "nice guy, but what qualifies him to run a $100 million dollar business?" I've never heard anything more true. Did NHL GM's ever have a chance negotiating a player's salary against player agents in the old CBA? Give me a break; agents invariably are lawyers, businessmen, etc., etc, while most GM's are x-hockey players. Let's level the playing field and get some more qualified businessmen to run the business of hockey and let guys like Glen Sather, Larry Pleau et al figure out the hockey part (not unlike Paul DePodesta and Theo Epstein in baseball who are businessmen that love the game). You'll see better marketing, cost control, better contracts with players and stricter adherance to budgets. Is it any co-incidence that Gretz himself hired an x-player agent to run his organization? Regardless of the players Phoenix acquired, can any of us really complain about the contracts that were given? Were any of them ridiculous?

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Bad Idea!!

The longer this drags out the more small market teams will dissapear... The States smaller teams will lose interest, teams would fold .. (not such a bad idea drop to 20ish teams) :dunno: the States don't really care.. they have football

Solak

Dec 24, 2003
Rochester, MN
Visit site
joepeps said:
The longer this drags out the more small market teams will dissapear... The States smaller teams will lose interest, teams would fold .. (not such a bad idea drop to 20ish teams) :dunno: the States don't really care.. they have football

Unfortunately, having football is not enough for some of us. And when that's over what will that leave us with? Basketball? No thank you, I may just hibernate until baseball season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->