If Gretzky played in this era, would he still be considered the GOAT?

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
A 40 year career and still good enough to play in this league at age 57? That would cement him as the GOAT athlete, not just hockey player.

By statistical measures, Gretzky IS widely considered to be the best athlete of any team sport...ever.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I had an actual response until I realized you were just being facetious. Well done!

Well spotted.

My main concerns are however would be there enough room for Semenko in the time machine with GOAT, his natural attachment of his own time. Even harder it is to comprehend if we need to fit also Kurri, Messier, Tikkanen and few other buddies to that same capsule to ensure the GOAT's adaptation to a harsh and unforgiving, technically evolved contemporary NHL would go smoother. After all The GOAT needs those guys to ensure he can still make a play and accumulate some spare assists against crosbies, mcdavids, bergerons, ovis, matthews, kucherovs, and barkovs.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Well spotted.

My main concerns are however would be there enough room for Semenko in the time machine with GOAT, his natural attachment of his own time. Even harder it is to comprehend if we need to fit also Kurri, Messier, Tikkanen and few other buddies to that same capsule to ensure the GOAT's adaptation to a harsh and unforgiving, technically evolved contemporary NHL would go smoother. After all The GOAT needs those guys to ensure he can still make a play and accumulate some spare assists against crosbies, mcdavids, bergerons, ovis, matthews, kucherovs, and barkovs.

Today’s NHL environment is not harsh or unforgiving. In fact it is much more forgiving due to how often the refs call hooking, slashing and holding now! As for accumulating assists versus the Crosbies, Bergerons, Matthews and Kucherovs of today, I will just quote one of my earlier posts:

“I watched Gretzky his entire career, and by '97 he had lost most of his skating speed, acceleration and overall finesse. He looked like a slow, broken down shadow of his former self. He was basically relying entirely on his unprecedented IQ, vision and anticipation to survive at that point and STILL out pointed younger greats such as Federov, Sundin, Forsberg, Sakic, Yzerman, Mogilny, Jagr, Modano, Hull, Pallfy, Francis, Messier, Lindros, Oates, Recchi, Shanahan, Roenick, Yashin, Fleury, Alfreddson, Bondra, Turgeon,....at the end of his career!

So I would be absolutely shocked if he did not dominate today’s game as well by a 15-30% margin.”

Reactions: Se829ne

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Yep yep. Just joking.

We talk here about things we have no ways to ensure with any kind certainty, we can only speculate.

If I have to response honestly how I think, Prime Gretzky would do very, very well in current NHL. He was decades ahead his time during his prime, but we can't know for sure, only give more or less good opinions about that pure theoretic and hypothetic scenario. Nobody can proof anything here, whatever they may claim or think.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
it was easier to score just 10 years ago, let alone 30 years ago

you guys think players today suck because they struggle just to score 100 points in a season, the goalies and defenseman have improved immensely

people also think older age automatically means they aren't as good as they used to be, you can be at your best at 35

take sakic for example, just because he was 37 doesn't mean he was out of his prime, peyton manning had the best season a quarterback ever had at 37, and then the next year he hit the wall

people don't all age the same, some guys hit the wall before 30 and some guys maintain their best for many years

- That is false. 10 years ago scoring was lower than it is currently. Unless you want to do this BS "eye test" where we cannot actually measure things objectively.
- Never said players today suck. The skill level is higher overall mainly because goons don't really exist.
- I agree there are some exceptions, that is why I listed 7 players that came to mind. I didn't dig deep for anyone in particular, just thought of older players and looked at their stats to confirm my point. I can assure you Shanahan was entirely out of his physical prime at 37, yet still could score 40 goals.
- As for Peyton Manning, it was amazing, but he was also on a team that had an insane receiving core (D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Decker, Welker) and a very good RB in Moreno. Not to mention, you are wrong considering he was still a beast the following season. It was 2 years after where he sucked yet was carried to the Super Bowl.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yes he would. He would be more fit, have better equipment, etc...numbers would be down but he would dominate comparatively IMO.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
It honestly blows my mind people will argue this. As a broken down old man in the dead puck Era can score but prime Gretzky wouldn't be able to because goalies were bad in the 80s, well if they were so bad wouldn't every player get 200 points? It's not that Gretzky scored so many points it's that he scored so many points over his peers who played in the same Era.

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
- That is false. 10 years ago scoring was lower than it is currently. Unless you want to do this BS "eye test" where we cannot actually measure things objectively.
- Never said players today suck. The skill level is higher overall mainly because goons don't really exist.
- I agree there are some exceptions, that is why I listed 7 players that came to mind. I didn't dig deep for anyone in particular, just thought of older players and looked at their stats to confirm my point. I can assure you Shanahan was entirely out of his physical prime at 37, yet still could score 40 goals.
- As for Peyton Manning, it was amazing, but he was also on a team that had an insane receiving core (D. Thomas, J. Thomas, Decker, Welker) and a very good RB in Moreno. Not to mention, you are wrong considering he was still a beast the following season. It was 2 years after where he sucked yet was carried to the Super Bowl.

it was lower 10 years ago? several guys scored at least 90 and a few over a 100, one guy last year reached 100 points and crosby and kane finished with 89

manning made that receiving core good, moreno sucked, and manning was washed up before that next season ended, point still remains some guys can be at their all time best in their mid 30's

GordieHowsUrBreath

Nostalgia... STOP DWELLING ON THE PAST
Jun 16, 2016
It honestly blows my mind people will argue this. As a broken down old man in the dead puck Era can score but prime Gretzky wouldn't be able to because goalies were bad in the 80s, well if they were so bad wouldn't every player get 200 points? It's not that Gretzky scored so many points it's that he scored so many points over his peers who played in the same Era.

why do people act like it was so hard to score in the dead puck era?

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
The game adapted to Gretzky’s dominance, and if he played now instead of then, that adaptation would have just been delayed until now.

Gretzky wasn’t a physical freak, though his technical offensive skills were all elite. He was generational because of his ability to recognize and exploit tendencies and habits in defenders and goalies. That talent transcends eras.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
it was lower 10 years ago? several guys scored at least 90 and a few over a 100, one guy last year reached 100 points and crosby and kane finished with 89

manning made that receiving core good, moreno sucked, and manning was washed up before that next season ended, point still remains some guys can be at their all time best in their mid 30's

2007-2008: 5.57
2017-2018: 5.91

Source: NHL Goals Per Game

This year, scoring is the highest it has been since the 2005-2006 season. And before that, it was the 1995-1996 season. You are confusing the top producers with the league average as a whole. One guy could score 150 points, that doesn't mean league scoring is up.

As for Manning, sure he was great, but that receiving core was nasty. Those guys still produced after Petyon left. The only guy who was past his prime was Welker, but he was still solid. Moreno has 1,000 rushing and 500 receiving that season. The next year, he tore is ACL and it ended his career. Not sure how you can say he sucked lol.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I cannot watch old games and clips and make myself believe that Gretzky would be the best player today. It's impossible for me.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
I cannot watch old games and clips and make myself believe that Gretzky would be the best player today. It's impossible for me.

“He appears out of no where. He passes to no one. And a goal is scored.”

Soviet coach
Igor Dmitriev describing Wayne Gretzky.

See, what makes Gretz mythological for me and many others, including Mr. Dmitriev apparently, is that we see him credited with point after point after point after point....and we can't explain how he was doing it. Lemieux, Orr? Yeah, it was plain as day. But Gretzky? Smoke and mirrors. Redirection. Dude is a magician. You clearly don't have the eye for what he did, but neither did any of us. Difference is that it annoys you that his gameplay wasn't as plain as day.

Remember, it's now how. It's how....many.

Reactions: overg and Mbraunm

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

not that long ago an old and injured gretzky did this:

1997-98 New York Rangers NHL8223679028-11|
Canada OG604423|
1998-99 New York Rangers NHL7095362
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

AJRAYMOND

Jun 13, 2009
Canada
Wayne and Mario are the two best players by a mile in the last 40 years. Mario threatened to quit the game because of all the clutching and grabbing. I think he'd be the most dominate in this age where they can't impede you. Make no mistake though, they'd easily be the two best players. They were just on another level.

Reactions: Mbraunm

AJRAYMOND

Jun 13, 2009
Canada

Cameras are different today. It's really hard to tell the speed of the game from generation to generation. Remember Al Iafrate and Mike Gartner held records for years with hardest shot and fastest skater in that era. Those records aren't too far off today's standards.

Reactions: Legionnaire

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
The guy in his career averaged like 2 points per game. He has like 1k more points than anyone. NO ONE is on his level.

People say Crosby is best player of this generation and he has had over 90 points like once in past 8 years.

It’s not even close. WG is the GOAT easily - it’s not even debatable if you know the slightest thing about hockey

Reactions: Mbraunm

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I would encourage those who didn’t have a chance to watch Gretzky, to read the book, “Facing Wayne Gretzky” by Brian Kennedy. It is a book of interviews with forwards and defensemen who describe the challenges and strategies us d to try to shut down Gretzky. The common theme was that it was almost impossible to shut him down with systems and strategies due to the fact that his IQ was greater than the collective coaching staff’s opposing him. He instantly recognized systems which were formulated against him and wasted no time in completely dismantling them. Defensemen attested to the fact that Gretzky played hockey on a purely mental level at all times and containing him was completely different than any other star player. He would never beat you with speed, physical tools nor a crazy release, etc. Rather he invited opposing teams to play chess against him on a sheet of ice. Defensemen found it an exhausting mental experience.
Unfortunately, he was the master and his opposition were relative novices in the game of chess on ice.
I have never witnessed anything like it before or since.

Reactions: overg

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Put it this way if Einstein was teleported to a Modern Physics class today he would likely fail...can't compare different eras.

They are both GOATs because they were way ahead of their time and significantly above their peers.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Put it this way if Einstein was teleported to a Modern Physics class today he would likely fail...can't compare different eras.

They are both GOATs because they were way ahead of their time and significantly above their peers.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Someone with a 190 IQ is not going to fail Physics.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
ITT: We discuss how one of the most undisputed GOAT athletes of all time might not be the GOAT in his specific sport.

ok den.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Less numbers, but still smarter than anyone around. Simple answer is YES, absolutely he would still be the best!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad