If elected CHL Commissioner...

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
First off let me preface this by saying that I understand the league in it's present state will never,ever go for any of the ideas I am about to post. These are simply my ideas to bring Junior Hockey back to it's grass roots, ensure for better competition in, and a fair way of choosing the host for the Memorial Cup and ensuring any hint of bias is removed from day to day decisions..

So without further ado.. If elected CHL Commissioner:

1) The Memorial Cup format would be as follows: The three league champs get in PLUS the winner from the previous year which would be the host team. Hosts teams do not necessarily need to use their home arena and they would have until November 30th to submit their plan. If they don't feel they can successfully host then the right goes to the team that loses in the final. So all participating teams in the previous years cup would be wise to prepare their plans... YES this means it does not move around from league to league every year and it puts the onus on teams to be successful. In order for the Host team to PLAY in the Memorial Cup they must at least get to their respective conference finals.. so if you miss the playoffs or get knocked out in the first two rounds .. yer out! At which point the loser of the league final gets in. Ticket packages do not go on sale for anyone until the Conference finalists have been decided. Again teams would be wise to have the correct infrastructure in place to deal with the ticket demand once the Conference Finals start

2) I would remove the financial guarantee Junior Clubs are expected to make.. but this format would return the memorial Cup to the grass roots of hockey.. thereby making it even MORE popular and growing the game

3) I would ensure that there was a separate commissioner for each CHL league.. removing any conflict of interest of having the CHL commissioner also overseeing one of its member leagues

4)I would also develop a competition committee made up of former players/officials/coaches to work in conjunction with the NHL and oversee prospective rules changes. These changes would mean that ALL leagues play under the SAME rules

5)As well there will be 1 disciplinary committee also made up of former players/officials/coaches that will oversee the discipline and hand down suspensions/fines for ALL three leagues.

6)ALL officials will be full time and be required to complete a rigorous training program in conjunction with the NHL officials. All officials will be paid as full time employees at a rate slightly lower than the starting NHL official.

7)My desired Salary is $65,000 per year plus travel allowance for me and my wife

CRIK718

Jan 6, 2012
Mem cup

good idea about the previous champ allowed to defend their title.

I would rather see a best of 7 final. using this year as an example the OHL plays the winner of WHL & QHL
- While the WHL & QHL are playing a best of 5 MEM CUP semi final, the OHL league final is happening
- with a best of 5 let say it begins with 2 games at the WHL on a SAT & SUN
It then switches to the QHL for the final 3 games, THUR, SAT, SUN
- the MEM CUP final begins in the OHL, it is a 2-3-2 format spread out over 3 weekends
- games are #1 FRIDAY #2 SUNDAY, #3 THUR, #4 SATURDAY, #5 SUNDAY, #6 FRIDAY, #7 SUNDAY

which ever league gets the bye to the final, that league final is played later to match the MEM SEMI FINAL
\
let the TV money be the big payoff and allow all teams the chance to host the MEM CUP semi final and FINAL

green lantern

Jun 4, 2012
sector 2814
It definitely lost a lot of it's luster this year being in the same venue as it was 9 years ago; I'm sure even London fans would admit it wasn't nearly as special of an experience for them and not just because the team wasn't as good. It was harder to showcase and market a venue again for the second time.

As far as the fairness and host team issues being discussed, I'd change it from a host team to host division and alternate it within the hosting years.

So for example in the OHL let each division host it every 12 years; this year it was in the midwest division, let each of the other 3 divisions take a turn and then come back to the midwest again in 2026.

The league champ gets their birth and then whichever team goes the furthest in the playoffs from the host division gets the second spot (or whichever team goes the second furthest if a team from the host division wins the championship such as Guelph this year); if the two best teams from the host division go out in the same round, either send whichever one was higher in the standings or have a playoffs.

This should at least help with ticket sales; it would avoid a scenario of two teams from afar making it. It's guaranteeing at least one regional team without an automatic berth. It would also spice up the playoffs and possibly regular season..

So this year the western conference final between Guelph and Erie would have determined one birth with the winner getting an entry. Because Guelph went on to win the OHL championship, Erie would get the second spot by virtue of being the midwestern team which went the second farthest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad