New GM Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It's a real situation facing the Habs and one that absolutely infuriates me. There are numerous talented people that could be a candidate for the job if Molson decides to make a change at GM. Why would the franchise show such disrespect to their fans & sponsors and not hire the best person available for the job, regardless of background, gender, etc...

Having or wanting to hire only those people with a French speaking background immediately sets the franchise back and alienates the vast majority of candidates. All that matters are wins, not making sure media gets someone that can answer their question in a certain language.

What do you folks think?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think they don't even hire the best bilingual candidate.

Communication skills, including language, should be a major decider in choosing a candidates fitness to the post. I'm not sure it should be a prerequisite.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Why would the franchise show such disrespect to their fans & sponsors and not hire the best person available for the job, regardless of background, gender, etc...

Why?

because that is what they have done for 100 years, thats why, they ain't gonna change now!

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Moot question, since BriseBois speaks French.
Only if you assume he's the best candidate.

You don't know who is the best candidate is until you turn over every stone. If the best one happens to be French, excellent - we saw this with the Julien hire.

The search should not be limited from the get go.

Reactions: Deebs

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hire the best candidate, regardless of language...

Use resources ($$$) to get that candidate to learn to speak "hockey conversational" french for the 5 times a year he actually has to speak publically in both languages...

Reactions: ChikN and Andy

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
The best candidate available (BriseBois) speaks french.

Is he though...what if he didn't want the job?

I'm sure it would be surprising to see the list of interested candidates if this scenario took place.

Puck Luck Run Amok

Oct 26, 2012
The void
It's a real situation facing the Habs and one that absolutely infuriates me. There are numerous talented people that could be a candidate for the job if Molson decides to make a change at GM. Why would the franchise show such disrespect to their fans & sponsors and not hire the best person available for the job, regardless of background, gender, etc...

Having or wanting to hire only those people with a French speaking background immediately sets the franchise back and alienates the vast majority of candidates. All that matters are wins, not making sure media gets someone that can answer their question in a certain language.

What do you folks think?

I think that if Molson and his cohorts decide to continue putting race/ethnic background over talent in his next management hire I will sell my kids (he's about 1) Habs gear/give it away to friends. Honestly disgusted by how this organization has operated during the last 6 years.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Still don't get why Molson can't afford to spend a bit more on translators to hire the best in the business regardless of the role.

Reactions: Habsfan18

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
You're joking right?

After L'Affaire Cunneyworth?

Molson almost cried in public, and immediately said that any COACH now would have to speak French before they would even be considered.

He then went on to hire a high school dropout for the GM position. Guess which language the dropout could speak?

So no, it won't be best candidate. It will be the best French candidate that's currently available. If we are lucky, they are the same thing.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Still don't get why Molson can't afford to spend a bit more on translators to hire the best in the business regardless of the role.

Yes, that is correct. Molson cannot afford a French translator. (If your sarcasm meter didnt go off, get it checked)

On a serious note, the answer is quite simple. The person has to WANT to learn the language. Molson does not need to hire a translator, usually the person does it themselves. (players included)

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
Personally, as a business owner, you always try to hire the best employees possible. The one that can bring you the most return for the coin they receive. That being said, we all know the particularities of the market. The candidate needs to be able to hold conversation in both languages. Despite this being a sort of handicap in the recruiting process, it unfortunately is needed to appease the francophones who are adamant about preserving their language rights.

Luckily, if we do need to find a GM. As some have mentioned, Brisebois would certainly be more than qualified. Like him or not, Roy is also available and would fit the criteria. McGuire has been well documented as being runner up before MB took the position. He is also very qualified. Perhaps an overlooked candidate is Claude Loiselle (Current assistant GM of the Leafs)

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I find incredibly dumb that the candidate need to speak french

and you could just hire a translator if he doesnt speak french...

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Personally, as a business owner, you always try to hire the best employees possible. The one that can bring you the most return for the coin they receive. That being said, we all know the particularities of the market. The candidate needs to be able to hold conversation in both languages. Despite this being a sort of handicap in the recruiting process, it unfortunately is needed to appease the francophones who are adamant about preserving their language rights.

Luckily, if we do need to find a GM. As some have mentioned, Brisebois would certainly be more than qualified. Like him or not, Roy is also available and would fit the criteria. McGuire has been well documented as being runner up before MB took the position. He is also very qualified. Perhaps an overlooked candidate is Claude Loiselle (Current assistant GM of the Leafs)

Loiselle was fired years ago, he was part of the Nonis disaster crew. He's a consultant with the Coyotes. Not a good candidate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad