If 2006 1st round drafted players could choose their team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
First round draft picks have no choice of teams but if they did who do you think they'd want to play for and why.

Somewhere warm and sunny? A team with a phenomonal coach? Great fans? The opportunity to play with particular players?

Me? Coach and management would be a major consideration along with location.

Phanuthier*

Success would be the biggest thing, I would imagine. Playesr would rather go into organizations with a winning attitude and a winning history. As much as I love the Flames, I would want to be a Detriot Red Wing or a New Jersey Devil if I were a player drafted.

For those who are longer shots, oppertunity would be a 2nd.

If I were a goalie, I'd wanna go to San Jose. Warren Stralow is the best in the biz, without a doubt. If I were to pick 3 hockey guys in the world I could have coffee with, it would be Scotty Bowman, Warren Stralow and David Marcoux.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
You know, I was thinking that being the first overall isn't necessarily the best thing. Sure you've got bragging rights for life but look at Crosby. He could have been driving a convertible in sunny Anaheim. :yo: It was close. Yah he gets to live with the owner but a waterfront condo in Newport beach appeals more to me.

Some of the later picks may be better off in the long run?

Avery4Byng*

I would want to play in the town with the best beaches and night clubs. :sarcasm:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I'd want to be drafted by a young rebuilding team who will have a roster spot for me as soon as I'm NHL ready. I wouldn't want to go to a veteran heavy team that will burry me in the minors.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I think it depends on how the kid thinks, here are some of the top reasons for wanting to be drafted by a certain team:

1- Fav team: This is a no brainer and I bet most porspects dream of playing for their fav team.

2- Somewhere close to home: A lot of these kids would like to be somewhere near home.

3- Succesful club: A lot would want a team that knows how to treat prospects and has a winning attitude (Teams like Det, Colorado, and NJ for example), some of these kids don't want to be under a lot of pressure and most successful clubs don't put pressure on their prospects.

4- Young club: Some would like to be part of a young club so they can have a chance to be in the league soon and be part of the rebuilding process, it could also mean that there will be better chemistry off-ice with other players because the age difference won't be much.

5- A city you like: I guess some prospects like to live somewhere for whatever reason, for example if I liked warm weather and beaches I'm gonna like it more if I'm drafted by a team from Cali or Florida, and so on.

6- Unite with buddies or relatives: I don't think it happens often but some who have friends or relatives on a certain team would probably rather be on a team with them, for example if I had an older brother that played for the Flames I would probably like it if I was drafted by them because I'd get a chance to be on the same team with my bro and that makes things better.

I guess there are other reasons but these are the main ones I believe.

Safir*

Some players will feel more comfortable with being part of a small or medium market team, than with being part of big market team. A guy like Jay Bouwmeester has found the perfect situation in Florida where the media interest for hockey isn't as big as in Philadelphia (4th overall pick in 2002) for example.

Also not everybody is keen to play in a big city like NY or LA.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Kärppä32 said:
Some players will feel more comfortable with being part of a small or medium market team, than with being part of big market team. A guy like Jay Bouwmeester has found the perfect situation in Florida where the media interest for hockey isn't as big as in Philadelphia (4th overall pick in 2002) for example.

Also not everybody is keen to play in a big city like NY or LA.

I really depends on what you mean by that. In LA, you can still live in the big city, or you can move to a quiet beach town(like most Kings do) and still have your anonymity.

Skroob*

Phanuthier said:
I would want to be a Detriot Red Wing or a New Jersey Devil if I were a player drafted.

If i was a prospect, i would want to be in a place that cared about hockey, so yes Detroit would be a wise choice, but i would try to stay as far away from NJ as i could.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad