Identifying quality goalies from AHL stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
well...labarbera probably doesn't have the outright skill to be a great NHL goalie...I think he could have a career as a backup though. hard to be exactly certain without him getting more playing time in the NHL. he does play behind a good team in Hartford (though he often has to make his share of good saves) so that helps...and he really improved his game a couple of years ago over what it was. he's a real big guy and that helps...and he's been working with allaire and feels he's even better.

he does get written off but like i said...might be a good idea to see what he can do in more NHL games. he looked kind of nervous and out of control when he played in the games i saw...those are things that could change with more games.

i think he'll get a shot at the NHL sometime soon...he's not a blue chipper but i think someone will take a shot on a guy with the stats he has. he's not terribly old, i think about 24. but he's behind at least 2 other guys in the rangers goaltending prospect depth chart. lundqvist and montoya...montoya is a ways away though, but lundqvist should be coming over next year and spend at least a little time in the AHL to adjust. skills based and all he's a better goalie in all likelyhood and has a higher upside, but we'll see what happens.

I think Labarbera is a free agent or RFA or something next year...i can't remember...it's kind of a decision making year with him and the rangers though, if they want to hold on to him or possibly trade him if they can to open up some more space in hartford. might get a shot at the backup job in the NHL if there's a season too...hard to tell, the rangers are real excited about lundqvist and his play lately so i'm sure they'll do whatever they need to in order to get him games in hartford if he needs them. either way, i figure one of labarbera or vallequete is gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad