Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

Ideas for 3 on 3 for Jet's Overtime Hockey

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by GNP, Jan 26, 2018.

1. GNP

GNP Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!

Realtor
    The Jet's are not playing well at all in overtime hockey, on the 3 on 3 play. I think with the amount of open ice, we need to use our "speed players" that can cover a lot of ice fast. I think 3 on 3 should be an advantage considering we have a lot of very fast players.

I'd like to see guys like Ehlers, Little, Connor, Wheeler, Armia,Myers,Morrissey and Trouba being used a lot. They are all great skaters, and good puck handlers, and all can score.

"Possession" of the puck is really the name of the game in 3 on 3 hockey, and therefore we should not have guys trying to take unnecessary risks, by trying to go around the defense by themselves, and usually we lose "possession."---- "then trouble." Whoever has "possession" has a very good chance of scoring. I'd like to see the Jet's revamp their thinking on this. Joel Armia is a "great possession" type of player- and the Jet's should use him here !!!

My suggestion is to stay away from the "bigger guys" -- like Laine, and Buff etc, as these guys get gassed very quick, and that's why we're losing in these 3 on 3 situations. I'd like to hear some of the other posters ideas for strategies and types of players used here. It's my contention to go with "lighter guys" with a lot of endurance, that can score, and cover a lot of ice - "very fast"-- to gain and keep possession of the puck.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  2. 10Ducky10

10Ducky10 Registered User

I think we need more Buff!

3. Bradley Edwards

Bradley Edwards uskoa - tro på - верить tro - croyez - vjerovati Sponsor

I think Maurice is giving the vets the opportunity to shine or not so when he really needs the speedy younger ones on the ice during future 3 on 3 the vets cant say squat... :D :nod: :D

behemolari, Jetfaninflorida and GNP like this.
  4. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Registered User

Hockey expert
    Totally agree. It's about ability, yes but watching Trouba spend 2:30minutes on the ice and imaging if that was Buff. 2 on 3 I'm thinking after 60 seconds.

5. jets2020champs

jets2020champs Registered User

Win the faceoff. Get into the offensive zone. Hold on to the puck. Play rope a dope. Make line changes on the fly. Make opponents tired. Skate by opponent while protecting the puck and draw penalty. Score on delayed penalty, or power play.

I’m not a hockey professor.
    Just old Korean lady.

Razzle71, Bastage, behemolari and 4 others like this.
  6. NotCommitted

NotCommitted Registered User

I get it you don't like Laine much, but not having your best goal scorer play 3-on-3 overtime doesn't seem the greatest idea to me.

3-on-3 play has "evolved" and sadly it's become more and more boring for it. I haven't checked actual stats, but I feel like 3-on-3 overtimes are more likely to end in shootout than before. Last season it felt like 3-on-3 was a lot more about scoring chances both ways and now teams have figured out they'll just try to hang onto the puck. (Might be completely off on this, just how it feels to me)

I don't know, last season Jets felt pretty good on OT, this season they seem far worse... Maybe it wouldn't make sense, and would only make things worse, but part of me yells to **** puck possession and get your best scorers out there. I'd love to even see a Laine-Ehlers pairing, both can shoot and both can pass and are fast (yes, Laine has very good speed once he gets going), so they could probably create some nice 2-on-1 rushes. While at it, try 3 forwards, who needs defencemen anyway :D

I guess the gist of it is this team has a lot of offensive talent and shouldn't need many chances to score. So it might make sense to play a bit more risky. At least it would be more entertaining and I don't know what they are trying to do now, but clearly it isn't working. But there's also lot of luck involved in 3-on-3, losing or gaining possession by a lucky bounce often ends up deciding the game.

7. Ducky10

Ducky10 President Patrik Laine Fan Club Sponsor

Pretty easy, just maintain possession and don't shoot until it's actually a legit chance. With so much room out there is's pretty hard to lose the puck if you're simply moving into space and not isolating yourself.

8. Halberdier

Halberdier Registered User

Laine is a prototype of a player you need out for 3-on-3. Smart, very mobile on open ice, excellent passer and very picky shooter. And above all has all the patience in the world, and patience is the key on 3-on-3.

Add in players like Little, Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele, Myers, Trouba and Morrissey, and you should win more often than lose it.

kanadalainen and Crocket like this.
  9. Whileee

Whileee Registered User

I don't think it's as much who is on the ice as it is the strategy they use. The Ducks just cycled the puck and made a couple of changes without even trying to score until the had tired out the Jets' skaters. They were a bit excessive in that regard, but it's the general idea. I think the Jets still tend to take too many low quality shots or try plays that risk losing the puck. For example, against the Ducks Little tried to deke through the middle of the D and lost the puck, and the Jets didn't get it back for a long time. I don't think you need to practice that much... it's more of a mentality of being patient and wearing down the opposition for the next shift instead of following the urge to score yourself. The Jets have some impulsive players that need to curb their instincts a bit. That's why Morrissey or Enstrom would be good to start OT. They'll be mobile and patient to start, then you can bring on Buff when the other team is tired. So, start with "luggers" and follow with "finishers".

Luggers... Morrissey, Enstrom, Wheeler, Armia, Little, Roslovic.

Finishers... Buff, Trouba, Scheifele, Laine, Ehlers, Connor.

10. Gm0ney

Gm0ney Unicorns salient

Since 3-on-3 OT was introduced, the percentage of games going to shootout has dropped from about 14% to 9% (this season so far it's 9.2%).

11. 4th Line Beast

4th Line Beast You make me sad

Pull the goalie

12. Gm0ney

Gm0ney Unicorns salient

Forget having a defenseman out there. 3 forwards, just give 'er.

13. Whileee

Whileee Registered User

I've thought of this, too. Is any team trying this yet? If not, I'd bet someone is going to try it.

Crocket likes this.
  14. YWGinYYZ

YWGinYYZ Administrator

From > Board of Governors approves 2015-16 rules changes

That would be a pretty risky strategy, especially with how important gaining any points are.

kanadalainen likes this.
  15. 4th Line Beast

4th Line Beast You make me sad

kanadalainen likes this.
  16. HPsauce

HPsauce Registered User

Stretch the ice more. Creating one on one situations.

An attack mindset when a guy comes off of our guys. I see it happening all the time in 3 on 3. Guys floating when a guy defending them switches, there's a second before another player can assume coverage and we don't take advantage of that by moving our feet. Getting wide open for a score.

I think it's just a lack of execution really.

GNP likes this.
  17. NotCommitted

NotCommitted Registered User

Ah, I was unclear in my wording, I meant comparing 3v3 overtimes this season to last season. But anyway, seems the stats don't agree with my feeling :)

18. GNP

Realtor

This is a great post by Whileee here, and I totally agree. Along with using the right players, taking risky chances will lose you possession of the puck, and likely cost you the game. I'd like to see the Jet's employ some serious strategy here, and be a lot more patient, and wait for "prime scoring chances."

Along with a good strategy, using the right players during certain times in the overtime will also be very beneficial and create a lot more wins for the Jets. Possession is the name of the game here. The Jet's need to work on this-- "we can do a lot better."

Note - one guy with "great" possession skills ( our best) is Joel Armia --it's like he has glue on his stick. He should be used on 3 on 3 hockey.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Scheifelaine likes this.
  19. truck

truck Registered User

Home Page:
  20. BigZ65

BigZ65 Registered User

If I were a NHL coach I wouldn't spend more than 5 minutes thinking about this, and I'd never practice it. To me the 3 on 3 is even more of a coin toss than the shootout.

But, something I have thought of is pulling the goalie. Get possession, establish possession, rush up the ice with the goalie and attack with 4, hopefully you get a great scoring chance. Bury and win. Miss you probably lose.

I can't believe the players are fine with 3 on 3. Seems ridiculous to me and dangerous.

21. Jetfaninflorida

Jetfaninflorida Southernmost Jet Fan

None of your business
    Glad to see this being discussed. It's something we suck at and need to practice. Glad this Jets weakness it is being recognized more widely now on our board. Good suggestions above already regarding strategy. We need to dedicate practice time so we can execute.

behemolari and GNP like this.
  22. jetsforever

jetsforever Registered User

I'd definitely put Ehlers out there a lot - guys like Wheeler, Connor too (and Scheif when he returns)
    Buff can sometimes work magic as well

GNP likes this.
  23. GNP

Realtor

I don't know about pulling the goalie on 3 on 3 ??? I would think there is to much open ice, and the puck would end up back in our net. Seems far to risky to me.

24. behemolari

behemolari Registered User

Laine needs more speed other than that yes, put Buffs and Laine to defend and Scheifele/Wheeler/Ehlers attack, let everyone roam

GNP likes this.
  25. Airsmail

Airsmail Registered User

The Athletic had a piece recently on the jets in overtime. Alot of the ideas were similar to posters above:
    "Let me be clear: I’m not trying to suggest we can solve this by saying “have the puck more.” I am suggesting Winnipeg’s strategy can be tweaked to prioritize decisions that lead to having the puck more. If, in eight overtime periods there were five times where they forced the play forward when the safe play was to reverse, there is a lot of room to improve their time on the puck and their time in the offensive zone as a direct result."

An overtime story: Why the Jets are 0-6 in OT and the one...

GNP likes this.