idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil_slick9416*

alot of people have problems with this, personally i don't see why. It makes perfect sense, ads equal more money, more money means healthly league, and it's really that much of an eye sore. I'ts only bad when the ads are bigger than the team logo, which won't happen in the nhl since the team logo's are trademarks and identify the teams. personally i like the ads on shoulders and helmets and across the pants, just like in national team touraments like the world championships. and it isn't tacky at all. anything to help with the league money woes needs to be looked at. this will help.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
I'm not so against the idea, but I know when it has been entertained before on the threads, traditionalists take this idea down and burn it quickly.

Be Prepared

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
No.. Simply because I think those look absolutely horrible. And I'm a traditionalist.

EDIT:
I'm not so against the idea, but I know when it has been entertained before on the threads, traditionalists take this idea down and burn it quickly.

See? :biglaugh:

Oil_slick9416*

Scugs said:
No.. Simply because I think those look absolutely horrible. And I'm a traditionalist.

EDIT:

See? :biglaugh:

it's better than those aniversay patches teams wear... personally i wouldn't mind seeing a ford logo in the upper right corner of the oilers jersey, it opens up revenue avenues that the league needs.

ResidentAlien*

I think it looks tacky & it is an eyesore. Hell I dont even like seeing advertising on the ice, the boards..fine.I dont think this is the answer...but hey, there is no such thing as a bad idea

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
ResidentAlien said:
I think it looks tacky & it is an eyesore. Hell I dont even like seeing advertising on the ice, the boards..fine.I dont think this is the answer...but hey, there is no such thing as a bad idea

Glowing pucks
Orange Ice
Purple Horseshoes&blue diamonds. (sorry, eating cereal)

Hockey in Phoenix/Carolina/Florida TWICE
Two referees
allowing goalie pads to swell
Changing the nets instead of changing the size of pads goalies are allowed to wear (other than the PC bogus comprimise leg pad regulation)

Advertising is important and has a rich history of running over the allotted commercial break and causing the home viewer to miss action. It distracts the fans watching action, annoys home viewers and perveates every free bit of our lives in order to fashion us as good consumers and make us believe that garbage sounds good, tastes goos or that a bunch of criminals won't rob us at every chance to appease the shareholders.

Why not put more on the ice surface? And have spam like advertising on the urinals......you know.....the pop-up type that would keep you from peeing unless you coud hit the no thanks button with your stream?

Food....pretzels will have logos of sponsors all over them (and still be $4 a pop), soda will havecoupons on the side, toilet seats will play audio when sat upon, mirrors will have led's and not function until the ad runs through.

How much more ads do we have to get pestered and annoyed and ***** with? owners will make more money, so p-layers can demand more money and we'll end up with higher ticket prices regardless. The board ads didn't work (unless you were a player/agent/owner). This won't work (unless you're NOT a fan).

Stop thinking of how to appease the debacle of a business called the NHL and suggest ways to bring in MORE money.

Start thinking of ways to get them to spend LESS (and thus need less) money.

No one thinks of the two sides of this business correctly.

It's not the players and the owners. It's the NHL and it's employees AND the fans who are the consumer. You want balance,not unending thievery and price escalation. They will get less fans and make less money on advertising withbusiness as usual combined with annoying gimmicks.

They will get more money from advertising if ratings go up and arenas sell out. Period.

So stop trying to bolster revenue to spite the attendance. Start bolstering the product and VALUE (ticket prices???) to maximize revenue streams.

Simple economics.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I think this could be done minimally, but it probably wouldn't raise all that much money to make it worth it. The European rinks and jerseys are disgustingly full of ads. But if each team had one major sponsor it could be okay. Just one added logo to the players' equipment, likely on the jersey, as gloves, helmet, pants etc are a more personal object to the player.

Keeping it to one sponsor would be important. More becomes an eye sore, also the more ads there are the less effective they are as they just mesh in. It would also create a bigger demand for that one spot.

How about ads in the parking lot? :) Each section instead of a letter could be a sponsor's name, with logos painted on the ground? Anyway there are plenty of untapped places to throw a logo other then the players jersey or the ice.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Wouldn't like to see the big across the chest/stomach ads but i wouldnt be against the smaller makers logo style ads they have on soccer Jerseys.

ie like the Addidas logo on this Jersey.

real-a.jpg

They arent all that noticable and i dont think they would really upset the fans or traditionalists all that much.

Hoss

Feb 21, 2005
Hell, why not make it like racing? Keep salaries low and let the players sell every inch of thier jersey with ad-space. Fugly as sin but everyone wins. :sarcasm:

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Until players want a percentage to advertise on their bodies and the revenue doesn't equal what one ten goal scoring power foreskin demands and Glen Sather offers. Then we need more advertising......Nike logos on their visors (they can see around them)......Bud Ice on the tv as a faint shadow during game play......Morgan Stanley on the puck, Paine Webber on the sticks, referees have bail bondsmen advertising on their jerseys and their whistles play jingles for MacDonalds?

Or they can cut costs and be forced to stick to a budget and preserve the health of the league?

(You can make GM's and owners wear advertisements if that'd make you feel like you accomplished something)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hoss said:
Hell, why not make it like racing? Keep salaries low and let the players sell every inch of thier jersey with ad-space. Fugly as sin but everyone wins. :sarcasm:
Lots of add patches on the Jerseys and a Hard Cap at $ 50 mil and the owners make money and everyone is happy ..

All kiding aside .. this touches on what is wrong with a Linkage NHL CBA ..

If the players had to wear many patches on their jerseys but their Salaries went up it would be a no brainer ... but the NHL is the only one that controls league Reveune through advertising and the players have no say in the process or methods used ..

League could even have a promotion to give these game worn Jerseys away via a raffle etc to generate Revenue ..

ResidentAlien*

OlTimeHockey said:
Glowing pucks
Orange Ice
Purple Horseshoes&blue diamonds. (sorry, eating cereal)

Hockey in Phoenix/Carolina/Florida TWICE
Two referees
allowing goalie pads to swell
Changing the nets instead of changing the size of pads goalies are allowed to wear (other than the PC bogus comprimise leg pad regulation)

Advertising is important and has a rich history of running over the allotted commercial break and causing the home viewer to miss action. It distracts the fans watching action, annoys home viewers and perveates every free bit of our lives in order to fashion us as good consumers and make us believe that garbage sounds good, tastes goos or that a bunch of criminals won't rob us at every chance to appease the shareholders.

Why not put more on the ice surface? And have spam like advertising on the urinals......you know.....the pop-up type that would keep you from peeing unless you coud hit the no thanks button with your stream?

Food....pretzels will have logos of sponsors all over them (and still be $4 a pop), soda will havecoupons on the side, toilet seats will play audio when sat upon, mirrors will have led's and not function until the ad runs through.

How much more ads do we have to get pestered and annoyed and ***** with? owners will make more money, so p-layers can demand more money and we'll end up with higher ticket prices regardless. The board ads didn't work (unless you were a player/agent/owner). This won't work (unless you're NOT a fan).

Stop thinking of how to appease the debacle of a business called the NHL and suggest ways to bring in MORE money.

Start thinking of ways to get them to spend LESS (and thus need less) money.

No one thinks of the two sides of this business correctly.

It's not the players and the owners. It's the NHL and it's employees AND the fans who are the consumer. You want balance,not unending thievery and price escalation. They will get less fans and make less money on advertising withbusiness as usual combined with annoying gimmicks.

They will get more money from advertising if ratings go up and arenas sell out. Period.

So stop trying to bolster revenue to spite the attendance. Start bolstering the product and VALUE (ticket prices???) to maximize revenue streams.

Simple economics.
:win:

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Finn said:
I was wondeirng since the owners want to make mroe profit why not add advertisemnts to the jerseys like they do in Europe??? wouldnt that help create a alot of revenue?

exactly what i was going to post a new thread about...i dont understand why, if it still looks ok, they dont put adds on jerseys and on the ice more

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
davemess said:
Wouldn't like to see the big across the chest/stomach ads but i wouldnt be against the smaller makers logo style ads they have on soccer Jerseys.

ie like the Addidas logo on this Jersey.

real-a.jpg

They arent all that noticable and i dont think they would really upset the fans or traditionalists all that much.

I would be ok with having one or two small logos on the jerseys in the shoulder area, but thats it. I'm not in favor of having the jerseys look like the european polyester billboards they wear over there. I still see this as only really helping the big teams make more revenue anyways. I don't know how much Ford will want to pay to put a logo on the Hurricanes or Oilers jerseys, but would be stupid to not put it on the Red Wings or Leafs jerseys. Maybe if all this add revenue was split evenly among teams, sort of like the tv revenues are in the NFL, then it would be a great idea for the league, provided it generates revenue worth splitting up. And I don't see this being a major problem among the large market teams owners either, provided every teams engages in this practice and contributes.

SENSfreak_03

Aug 30, 2002
Regina, SK
Visit site
no one seems to mention that you have to have advertisers willing to do so. depending how long this whole mess streches out, and not alot of fans come back, maybe they wont want to advertise?

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
The money for the big soccer stomach ads can be huge - Chelsea just signed a deal that will pay them £100 million over 15 years.

In dollars that is over $10 million per year.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
davemess said:
The money for the big soccer stomach ads can be huge - Chelsea just signed a deal that will pay them £100 million over 15 years.

In dollars that is over $10 million per year.

Soccor-BIG

Hockey-not big.

Forsberg could get $300 a game to put IBM on his chest in letters bigger than Giguere's equipment. Maybe.

If a tree falls in a forest and no one sees it, it still generates more ad response than the NHL can.

Like I said, cut costs, fix the game, end the oompa looma ice colors and egg shaped nets and the host of other nonsense first, then worry about advertising when the game is watchable and not being outdone in the Nielson's by Tom Arnold's B-list Celebrity Backgammon.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
The Messenger said:
If the players had to wear many patches on their jerseys but their Salaries went up it would be a no brainer ... but the NHL is the only one that controls league Reveune through advertising and the players have no say in the process or methods used ..

Which is how it should be. It's not their business, they are not stakeholders. They are employees. Granted, they are very important towards selling the product but they have no vested interest in the league or its franchises. Like it or not, that's the way it works.

The league, the owners should certainly listen to the players if they have ideas on the subject. While most don't know the ins and outs of marketing, the players bring a unique perspective that could be helpful.

League could even have a promotion to give these game worn Jerseys away via a raffle etc to generate Revenue ..

Not bad at all. And there are dozens of other ways to possibly generate more revenue. Of course, some won't be practical enough to work, and for others the timing just isn't right. Also, it's not the best idea to come in with a flood of ideas at once (will quickly become saturated if you do).

But if they take the market research they already have now, get some more fresh data and keep the ideas flowing; I guarantee a few new practical sources can be found. Might have to play it close to the vest for a bit (consumer confidence isn't exactly on the side of anyone within the NHL, players or owners). Still, their is potential there. Always has been, which is something that has probably ticked me off more in the last several years than anything else.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The Messenger said:
Lots of add patches on the Jerseys and a Hard Cap at $ 50 mil and the owners make money and everyone is happy ..

All kiding aside .. this touches on what is wrong with a Linkage NHL CBA ..

And all the players have to do is take the linkage offer. Oh wait, they don't want it......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad