Signing(s): Ichiro back to Seattle

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
I don't really get this for Seattle from a baseball standpoint, but Ichiro should play forever and I'm glad someone is letting him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't really get this for Seattle from a baseball standpoint, but Ichiro should play forever and I'm glad someone is letting him.
It will be gold for merch and marketing. Lot's of Japanese people and media in Seattle and he's already a legend there. He'll likely be a spot starter/pinch hitter anyway.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
It will be gold for merch and marketing. Lot's of Japanese people and media in Seattle and he's already a legend there. He'll likely be a spot starter/pinch hitter anyway.

Yeah, business wise it makes sense. Presumably though Seattle wants to contend in 2018 and I don't see how Ichiro helps that. In the era of a four man bench I just can't make a case for carrying him. I don't think he can handle center field anymore and a low offensive backup LF/RF is a really odd bench piece.

I hate making this case though because Ichiro is a legend and maybe the most fun player to watch of the last two decades. Really hoping he proves me wrong and lasts five more years, but I just don't see how he's a big leaguer on merit anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad