Kings Article: Ice At Culver City Ice Arena Was Just Half Of The Story For The LA Kings

PermaFox

Mar 30, 2013
Good read, thanks.
Lot of great memories of that place.
Lived just a few blocks away and I learned to skate there in 78, grew up playing there and going skating on Friday nights.
My brother was the Kings equipment manager for a few seasons in the early 80's and I remember thinking then about the how small that upstairs locker room was and how a pro team fit in there?!?! My brother having that gig was sweet for me. I would get to skate with team members that did not go on road trips due to injuries and on the occasion that the Kings did practice at the Forum, I would get to skate the Forum ice while he was setting up things prior to practice.
Strange that at the same time that this rink is getting ready to close, the Forum has new life injected into it(although as a concert only venue) hosting the Eagles last night. Lots of great memories from that building. I got to play a few games there after a Kings game, saw countless Kings games, the All-Star game (with the Triple Crown Line!), Lakers games, first concert (Rush!), a rodeo, a circus, even a few L.A. Lazers games!! Its nice to see that building back in its former burgundy glory. It will always be the Fabulous Forum to me.
I was shocked to read that Hanz still runs the pro shop!!! Bought my first pair of skates there!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad