Confirmed with Link: Ian White signs PTO with Winnipeg Jets

RedWingsNow*

Same, glad we don't have either, though. I'll take the team being a little 'softer' if you want to call it that by not signing any more 34+ year old bottom 6 players.

yeah. True.
But....if we could dump Bertuzzi, Sammy and maybe Miller, I can see room for a guy like Morrow.

CLeary's stats, at times, look comparable to Morrow's. But Morrow hits like a truck. Cleary finishes his checks. Two different things.

I just typed in Brenden Morrow into youtube and it was a fun 10 minutes:)

RedWingsNow*

Because the CBA won't allow teams to use buyouts on players that aren't healthy. Samuelsson's agent said they'd contest the buyout on those grounds, so the Wings avoided the fight and will let him play out his contract.

How do you know what I do or don't know?

Based on all the interviews Holland gave during the off-season and based on the reports of every Wings beat reporter its safe to say that the Wings were definitely going to buy him out.

Because if you KNEW, you wouldn't be talking about how it's SAFE TO SAY. You'd KNOW.

So you just admitted you don't know.

Based on interviews and stories (not by bloggers, but by reporters) I read, Sammy was a candidate for a buyout. So was Bertuzzi. So was Tootoo. One of the reasons given for why buying out Sammy (the guy with the biggest contract and the guy the press focused on) might not be possible was the injury.

But I never actually saw anything that seemed concrete. I just saw speculation.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings could have easily gotten a draft pick for Ian White.

Ken Holland is simply a hoarder. He probably had to drink six bottles of scotch and take a Valium just to trade Kent Huskins.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Because if you KNEW, you wouldn't be talking about how it's SAFE TO SAY. You'd KNOW.

So you just admitted you don't know.

Yes...I JUST admitted I didn't know...but at the time you accused me of it, I hadn't and you had no idea what I did or didn't know.

Wings could have easily gotten a draft pick for Ian White.

To use Bobs words

You don't know that.

There is a large possibility that nobody was interested in him at all, there is also the possibility that he wasn't shopped to anyone...All we know for sure is that there is very little interest in him now.

He's been labelled a bad teammate, has shown poor judgement when it comes to talking to the media, and is coming off his worst season of his career. He may find himself playing in Europe trying to find his old form.

RedWingsNow*

I didn't "accuse" you of not knowing. It's not the kind of thing deserving accusation.
You stated your opinion in a way that could be construed as fact. I don't believe it to be fact. I believe it's very unclear. So I just wanted to put it out there, for anyone else reading, that your assertion is opinion, not fact.

Regarding White -- I don't know if the Wings could have traded him. I believe they could have if, more importantly, they tried.
But I didn't see any indication at all that the Red Wings were interested in shipping out anyone at the deadline.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Look I said I was surprised, but we have the facts now. Nobody cares much about White. That's that.

Morrow too. Dude isn't any better than Cleary, honestly.

A few of us do care. I really liked White's game, wasn't he leading the NHL in points by a defenseman by January 2 seasons ago? Some say it was because he played with Lidstrom... that argument is tired as Ian White was/is a good hockey player, straight up. I'd take him right now over Quincey, Smith, Kindl, Lashoff, although Ericsson has grown on me IDK. The guy hustles hard and it makes up for his smaller frame. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a position in Winn. Good for him.

Detroit Sports*

A few of us do care. I really liked White's game, wasn't he leading the NHL in points by a defenseman by January 2 seasons ago? Some say it was because he played with Lidstrom... that argument is tired as Ian White was/is a good hockey player, straight up. I'd take him right now over Quincey, Smith, Kindl, Lashoff, although Ericsson has grown on me IDK. The guy hustles hard and it makes up for his smaller frame. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a position in Winn. Good for him.

He is only better than Lashoff. :shakehead Would you take him over Subban,Chara and Keith too? What about Doughty?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
He is only better than Lashoff. :shakehead Would you take him over Subban,Chara and Keith too? What about Doughty?

:laugh: No I wouldn't. Also I respect the team's decision to let him go. Obviously we're factoring in the potential of the said players who IMO White was better/much more experienced than last season. This year is a whole new hockey game and I'm sure Quincey and Smith will have more to show for themselves. I just admire the guy's work ethic and am still puzzled why he didn't fit with the plan.

Was it his size, or lack of extraordinary talent...why was White a bust here in Detroit?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
:laugh: No I wouldn't. Also I respect the team's decision to let him go. Obviously we're factoring in the potential of the said players who IMO White was better/much more experienced than last season. This year is a whole new hockey game and I'm sure Quincey and Smith will have more to show for themselves. I just admire the guy's work ethic and am still puzzled why he didn't fit with the plan.

Was it his size, or lack of extraordinary talent...why was White a bust here in Detroit?

Lack of Lidström was his only problem.

Those stupid comments during the lockout also didn't help.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Those stupid comments during the lockout also didn't help.

True. If he hadn't opened his mouth during the lockout, he probably wouldn't have found himself nailed to the press box for his struggles.

And then he had to go and criticize the fact that his playing time was cut. That probably ended his tenure with the Wings right there.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I guess he wasn't better than :

Dustin Byfuglien Tobias Enstrom
Zach Bogosian Grant Clitsome
Mark Stuart Jacob Trouba

He's going to be the next one to sign in Europe, with an out clause.

HTT3*

I always wondered why Holland didn't try to flip White for a draft pick before deadline, now we know nobody had any interest in him.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Still think he's NHL calibre. A team will sign him once the first wave of injuries hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad