'I will miss it': Bob Cole dismayed over decision to sideline him for playoffs

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
I never really liked him always preferred someone like Don Wittman over him.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
LOL, I'm never surprised by Rogers being overly corporate and showing a lack of class. This corporation is utterly clueless when it comes to understanding the emotion and connection that some people can have with the fans that have grown up with people like Bob Cole.

They made the same mistake when they cut Ron MacLean years ago because they just thought "out with the old, in with the new" but they never stopped to consider just how much people were attached to Ron. They see us fans as if we have 2 or 3 year contracts to their over-priced, crappy cell phone packages and that we'll eat whatever shit they throw at us, eventually we'll just learn to accept it and even be happy about it. Not sure I'll ever be OK with any of the hacks they send out to pollute my tv screen.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
This is sad. Yes he isn't as good anymore but he is an all time hockey legend.

Show the guy some respect and give him at least a few games like Kadri.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Why not have Cole there. At least to do something. He’s under contract, well-respected, well-liked, and wants to participate. I don’t understand the downside to invite him to join the team. Is there an Announcers’ Salary Cap? I mean, what is the possible downside to having Cole at least do some rinkside reporting or even some canned interviews? Seems dumb.

Reactions: Darth Bangkok

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Nostalgia is powerful. Cole isn't a good announcer anymore and hasn't been for years. People are so used to his voice that it doesn't seem to matter what he's saying, it seems.
Nostalgia is a HUGE part of sports. People seem to forget that. In fact, I’d rather hear a familiar voice who makes a few mistakes than some Hot New voice. That’s why the Rangers still have Sam Rosen doing games. We like him and, frankly, on tv the commentary isn’t really very important. At least not to die-hard fans.

Reactions: Kimota

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I mean they couldn't use him in one of eight first-round series and be done with it after that instead of outright benching him entirely? I'm sure as a nightly broadcaster Cole is probably annoying to listen to these days (never listened to a full broadcast of his unfortunately) but there aren't many better at the big call and his voice will always be golden for me.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Cole and Galley should be calling the Winnipeg series. Let Romanuk and Millen call another one.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
When I was a kid my moms boyfriend said BOB COLE has got to retire. I said why he told me he was getting senile and making mistakes.

This was in 1997.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I made a few jokes about the guy's age here and there, but I feel bad for him. He deserved better than a phone call.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Corporate f***s can go f*** themselves.

There are certain broadcasters who have earned the right to go out on their terms. Bob Cole, Vin Scully, Keith Jackson, John Madden, to name a view.

You don’t do legends like this. :madfire:

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Corporate ****s can go **** themselves.

There are certain broadcasters who have earned the right to go out on their terms. Bob Cole, Vin Scully, Keith Jackson, John Madden, to name a view.

You don’t do legends like this. :madfire:

Ya. Never liked Cole. Always understood the sentiments, just never was a fan. Couldn't care less in theory. but if the story is in fact true wow, classless behaviour. I actually do feel sorry for Bob despite never knowing him personally. At least tell him face to face.
Corporate pieces of shit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->