'I will miss it': Bob Cole dismayed over decision to sideline him for playoffs

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Regardless of how one feels about Bob Cole today, the man deserved better than a cold phone call that his services were no longer required for this season. At the very least he should have been told in person before his final assignment in Ottawa last week.

When Seattle produced a commercial announcing their ticket drive it was no accident that they used Bob Cole's play by play.

‘I will miss it’: Bob Cole dismayed over decision to sideline him for playoffs

During what might be his last broadcast — a 4-2 Bruins win against the Senators on April 7 — Cole described a Noel Acciari breakaway goal as a “free break for a cherry.” As the final buzzer sounded, he signed off on Ottawa’s season by saying “and then the roof kind of caved in.”

It was an appropriate line for what then happened to Cole.

A day later, while watching the Masters on TV at his home in St. John’s, Newfoundland, Cole received a call from his bosses. At first, he assumed he was getting his marching orders for the playoffs. Instead, he was told he was being grounded.

“The decision sure wasn’t mutual,” said Cole. “It was right out of the blue. Rogers decided to go with other (broadcast) teams and I have to live with that. But it was their decision — not mine.”

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
“Bob Cole is, without doubt, one of the greatest broadcasters in hockey history and an icon in Canadian television,” Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet & NHL Properties, Rogers Media, said in a statement. “He is revered across this country and loved by legions of hockey fans around the world. His career, which has spanned more than 50 years, is one to be celebrated.
“We made a difficult decision this year not to include him in our playoff plans. This decision in no way diminishes the admiration we have for his substantial body of work.”

Though Rogers did not indicate why Cole isn’t part of the plan this year, the decision isn’t that surprising. After all, Cole’s workload has been cut back more and more over the years.
In 2009, he didn’t call the Stanley Cup final for the first time since 1983.
“It’s time for a new generation of play-by-play voice,” Moore said at the time.
And a year ago, he only worked the first two rounds of the playoffs.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This disappoints me. I have found Bob Cole's voice to be annoying, but he's a legend to broadcasting. He should be given games until he says he's had enough. If Sportsnet runs with Bartlett or Romanuk over Cole, I will be furious.

From the Toronto Sun article

Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson are calling the Toronto-Boston series for Sportsnet-CBC, while Paul Romanuk and Garry Galley are working the Winnipeg-Minnesota series, with Rick Ball and Greg Millen doing Pittsburgh-Philadelphia and Randorf and Louie DeBrusk the Vegas-Los Angeles series.

“Bob Cole is, without doubt, one of the greatest broadcasters in hockey history and an icon in Canadian television,” Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet & NHL Properties, Rogers Media, said in a statement. “He is revered across this country and loved by legions of hockey fans around the world. His career, which has spanned more than 50 years, is one to be celebrated.

“We made a difficult decision this year not to include him in our playoff plans. This decision in no way diminishes the admiration we have for his substantial body of work.”

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes, he makes mistakes in his play by play calls, but lets not act like that is somehow unique to him or his age (Kevin Quinn makes about 50 mistakes per Oilers game). I personally loved his voice on a broadcast, but that may be due to nostalgia of watching the NHL growing up.

Reactions: egelband

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I have always been of the opinion that I can handle mistakes from the pbp guy if he can bring the emotion and sense of the moment to the game that is being called. I have eyes, I am able to see who is on the ice. What Cole brought to the table mistakes and all is the emotion and sense of moment that not one announcer that Rogers has now can bring to a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad