I wanted to choke Glen Healy through the phone today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
I give him respect, he was on the Fan 590 radio show taking calls. Big Balls.

Everyone (mostly) was agiainst him and the players.

I was not able to get through but i would have argued that the OWNERS have guarenteed the players contracts, the OWNERS have guarenteed that 30 teams and all the jobs will stay in tacked, the OWNERS have assured that the minimum salary will increase, the OWNERS pay the flipping bills and lose their shirt like the Ottowa owners Bryden did not the players.

The players say to the membership, go play in Europe or whatever, the union says its ok if you fold teams, the union says a cap won't work because we don't like it never mind it saved basketball and it works pretty well in football and the baseball situation is messed up with a ridiculous luxury tax.

The players don't get it, a salary tax will ensure the viability of the NHL and then the players can get back to work making a nice salary and doing what they love.

The union says the owners won't negotiate, sure they will, agree to a system then negotiate the following....level of cap, entry level cap, free agency, greater revenue from their images and equipment like sweaters and sticks arbitration, UFA pension plan

Screw the players and i hope they go to Europe or Iceland. The players are ruining the game not the owners, the players could come out smelling like roses if they would use some common business sense. They are the labour and the product but they are not the owners, heck they would not even invest in the WHA and make their on league.

Thanks for the chance to rant. :)

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
While I feel a salary cap could be avoided if the owners would privately agree with each other not to offer a cap, but to never offer or meet the demands of such outrageous contract prices, that is a good post that I agree with.

~Canucklehead~

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
shayne said:
The players don't get it, a salary [cap] will ensure the viability of the NHL and then the players can get back to work making a nice salary and doing what they love.

No, the fans don't get it...revenue sharing will ensure the viability of all teams...not a 35-40 mill cap the league is proposing! These owners have the fans brainwashed and its frustrating for me that some are being so blatantly ignorant of the reality of the situation. The players were willing to bare a burden to help the smaller market teams by introducing taxes and revenue sharing (which would definitely allow the small market teams to compete from a monetary standpoint). But, the richest teams will have none of it. They want a cap because they want to be richer. This has been their tendency for the past 10 years. They extended the past CBA because they wanted money from expansion fees and wanted to put their new buildings to good use. Now that revenues have maxed out, they want more money via the players. Bettman likes to make the analogy that a car crash has occurred and the players only want to put in new tires or something else minor to fix the situation. Well, I get news for Bettman...your owners caused the car crash with their lavish spending (which they were fully capable of doing and had the revenues to do so, else salaries wouldn't have escalated so dramatically). Since Bettman and his men caused this mess (while the players no doubt exacerbated the problems), the league should be the ones having to provide the engine (revenue sharing) that allows the car to run again while the players can make the necessary adjustments to ensure it works (stiff tax, entry level restrictions, rollbacks, arbitration changes etc...)

While I am of the view that the players make FAR TOO much money...I am greatly offensed with the owners who have slapped fans like me across the face, expecting to use me as a tool to get even richer at the expense of losing hockey despite the fact they created their own problems. Moreover, I am shocked that the owners (and fans) have been so condescending to the players. These guys are the product...they are no GM auto employees. They are the game! If you don't believe me, I challenge you to not watch these NHL players play again when work stoppage is done. Watch minor league pro hockey instead. Although minor leagues have some very good players, NHLers are irreplaceable! Further, if many fans were in the same position as the players, they would be fighting hard against the salary cap because you would be well-informed of the true economics of the NHL. The league is hemorrhaging money, but not as much as Bettman would like you to believe.

Last edited:

LadyByngJeanRatelle

Jan 26, 2003
Visit site
canucklehead17 said:
While I feel a salary cap could be avoided if the owners would privately agree with each other not to offer a cap, but to never offer or meet the demands of such outrageous contract prices
~Canucklehead~

That would be collusion I believe.

PapaBear*

Healy is a tool. He sucked as a backup, though he thought he was the leafs savour.

MacDaddy TLC*

PapaBear said:
Healy is a tool. He sucked as a backup, though he thought he was the leafs savour.
I doubt Healy considered himself to be a "savour" or even a savier. It is really funny too that a guy who spent most of his career with the Rangers is considered a Leaf due to a very short (albeit not short enough) stint. It seems like some just want to use Glen Healy as another reason to bait Leafs fans, although you are unlikely to find any supporters among us.

I do wish he would shut up.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
canucklehead17 said:
While I feel a salary cap could be avoided if the owners would privately agree with each other not to offer a cap, but to never offer or meet the demands of such outrageous contract prices, that is a good post that I agree with.

~Canucklehead~

That is blatantly illegal.

Evil Sather

YOU KILL THE JOE
Jun 27, 2003
YOU MAKE SOME MO
Visit site
Why do I get the feeling that if there WAS a $35 million hard cap put in, AND players rolled back their salaries, and the poor multi-millionaire (and billionaire) owners could finally get some profits, TICKET PRICES and PARKING and CONCESSIONS wouldn't go down one bit? In fact, I believe they'd increase almost every year... just like now! Ahhh... now everything is cheaper, but lets keep screwing over the fan because well, they're idiots anyway.

I'll support the owners when THEY start supporting the FANS.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Mayor of MacAppolis said:
I doubt Healy considered himself to be a "savour" or even a savier. It is really funny too that a guy who spent most of his career with the Rangers is considered a Leaf due to a very short (albeit not short enough) stint. It seems like some just want to use Glen Healy as another reason to bait Leafs fans, although you are unlikely to find any supporters among us.

I do wish he would shut up.

He spent four years with the Rangers.I loved Healy's rant about the Leafs being hurt by icing a team with a $40 million payroll.See the $50-60 million payroll has worked out so well for every team except Detroit

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
canucklehead17 said:

~Canucklehead~

The baseball owners tried that in the late 1980's and paid through the nose with fines and penalties

COLLUSION :shakehead

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
I was not able to get through but i would have argued that the OWNERS have guarenteed the players contracts, the OWNERS have guarenteed that 30 teams and all the jobs will stay in tacked, the OWNERS have assured that the minimum salary will increase, the OWNERS pay the flipping bills and lose their shirt like the Ottowa owners Bryden did not the players.

How many players would actually be affected by the great NHL "concession" of raising the league minimum salary? Anyone?

One. Chris Taylor, Buffalo Sabres / Rochester Americans.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
shayne said:
I give him respect, he was on the Fan 590 radio show taking calls. Big Balls.

Everyone (mostly) was agiainst him and the players.

The players say to the membership, go play in Europe or whatever, the union says its ok if you fold teams, the union says a cap won't work because we don't like it never mind it saved basketball and it works pretty well in football and the baseball situation is messed up with a ridiculous luxury tax.

The players don't get it, a salary tax will ensure the viability of the NHL and then the players can get back to work making a nice salary and doing what they love.

The union says the owners won't negotiate, sure they will, agree to a system then negotiate the following....level of cap, entry level cap, free agency, greater revenue from their images and equipment like sweaters and sticks arbitration, UFA pension plan

Screw the players and i hope they go to Europe or Iceland. The players are ruining the game not the owners, the players could come out smelling like roses if they would use some common business sense. They are the labour and the product but they are not the owners, heck they would not even invest in the WHA and make their on league.

Thanks for the chance to rant. :)

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Glen Healy is my least favourite hockey analyst. :yo: :yo: :handclap:

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
jericholic19 said:
No, the fans don't get it...revenue sharing will ensure the viability of all teams...not a 35-40 mill cap the league is proposing! These owners have the fans brainwashed and its frustrating for me that some are being so blatantly ignorant of the reality of the situation. The players were willing to bare a burden to help the smaller market teams by introducing taxes and revenue sharing (which would definitely allow the small market teams to compete from a monetary standpoint). But, the richest teams will have none of it. They want a cap because they want to be richer. This has been their tendency for the past 10 years. They extended the past CBA because they wanted money from expansion fees and wanted to put their new buildings to good use. Now that revenues have maxed out, they want more money via the players. Bettman likes to make the analogy that a car crash has occurred and the players only want to put in new tires or something else minor to fix the situation. Well, I get news for Bettman...your owners caused the car crash with their lavish spending (which they were fully capable of doing and had the revenues to do so, else salaries wouldn't have escalated so dramatically). Since Bettman and his men caused this mess (while the players no doubt exacerbated the problems), the league should be the ones having to provide the engine (revenue sharing) that allows the car to run again while the players can make the necessary adjustments to ensure it works (stiff tax, entry level restrictions, rollbacks, arbitration changes etc...)

While I am of the view that the players make FAR TOO much money...I am greatly offensed with the owners who have slapped fans like me across the face, expecting to use me as a tool to get even richer at the expense of losing hockey despite the fact they created their own problems. Moreover, I am shocked that the owners (and fans) have been so condescending to the players. These guys are the product...they are no GM auto employees. They are the game! If you don't believe me, I challenge you to not watch these NHL players play again when work stoppage is done. Watch minor league pro hockey instead. Although minor leagues have some very good players, NHLers are irreplaceable! Further, if many fans were in the same position as the players, they would be fighting hard against the salary cap because you would be well-informed of the true economics of the NHL. The league is hemorrhaging money, but not as much as Bettman would like you to believe.

Your post is far too long to read but revenue sharing is a guaranteed aspect of all salary cap systems. Bettman has already acknowledged guaranteed contracts and revenue sharing will be part of the next agreement although with the players playing hardball they just might lose the guaranteed contracts if they don't come to their senses in the next 2 or 3 days. Guaranteed contracts won't be part of a league that operates after the Impasse has been declared.

The best time for the players to make a deal is still today. Wait till the fall and it will be off the table.

Optimist*

jericholic19 The league is hemorrhaging money said:
What a wild statement. How could you possibly know that. While were talking nonsense, what is the acceptable level of hemorrhaging?

I also can't understand the logic of the players and posters that blame the owners for paying all these stupid salaries. If your wife/kid put you in bankrupcy using your credit card, would anyone blame you for taking the card away? It just seems that they use this line because there is no other way to explain their position.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
jericholic19 said:

Just so I understand ... you agree that the league is losing money and that the players earn "Far too much" money, yet take no issue with Tevor Linden saying yesterday that ideally the system shouldn't change? Hmmm.

Revenue sharing in and of itself does nothing to control spending or rein in salaries. If anything, it will inflate salaries because it gives smaller-revenue teams more money to spend than they otherwise would have. Unless, of course, you're talking about 100 percent revenue sharing, which has never happened and will never happen.

MacDaddy TLC*

I think the problem with Healy is he is trying to make himself out to be something he is not: a hard hitting journalist. Back in the early 90s he and Pat Flately used to do a between periods segment for Islanders broadcast and one that I saw was outrageously funny. If he would just be Glen Healy and not try to be someone else, then it would work out better for him.

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
Evil Sather said:
Why do I get the feeling that if there WAS a $35 million hard cap put in, AND players rolled back their salaries, and the poor multi-millionaire (and billionaire) owners could finally get some profits, TICKET PRICES and PARKING and CONCESSIONS wouldn't go down one bit? In fact, I believe they'd increase almost every year... just like now! Ahhh... now everything is cheaper, but lets keep screwing over the fan because well, they're idiots anyway.

I'll support the owners when THEY start supporting the FANS.

Hmm...here's a thought:

Who's usualy asking for bigger increases in their cost - players or owners (tickets/food/booz)?

Pretty much settles out who you should trust more.

And its definately not the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->