Line Combos: I Want YOUR Ideal Leaf Lineup & I Want You To Forget About Reality

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
THE BALANCED YOUTH

1) Leivo - Matthews - Nylander
(Is Leivo for real? 0.77 PPG last year says YES...13 GP says chill out bro)
2) JVR - Kadri - Marner (Can Kadri fix their defense?...& maybe improve their offence?)
3) Marleau - Bozak - Komarov (Can Marleau & Komy make Bozak look like Bergeron?)
4) Kapanen - Hyman - Brown (Best 4th line in the league? More points than Montreal's 1st line?)
5) Johnsson - Aaltonen - Grundstrom
6) Rychel - Brooks - Bracco
7) Timashov - Joshua - Korshkov
8) Chebykin - Korostelev - Dzierkals

1) Reilly - Tanev (Will Tanev finally let
Rielly play offence? Or will he break his hip playing chess?)
2) Gardiner - Zaitsev (Is Gardiner as slow as he sounds in interviews? Or am I just a dick?)
3) Dermott - Carrick (Big question: Rosen or Dermott? I just asked Babcock...it's Martin)
4) Rosen - Polak (Will Polak get a offer? Does he even want a job in player development?)
5) Borgman - Liljegren
6) Valiev - Rasanen
6) Greenway - Lindgren
7) Gordeev - Middleton
8) Cleland - Mattinen

FOR TANEV: Hainsey, Nielsen, Gauthier, Soshnikov, Lindberg (plus a mid-round pick if needed)
FOR PICKS: Martin, D.Moore, T.Moore, Fehr & Marincin (Closer to the deadline)

Last edited:

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
THE DOUBLE D'S (TOP HEAVY)

1) Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
2) JVR - Kadri - Marner
3) Brown - Bozak - Kapanen
4) Leivo - Komarov - Hyman
X) Rychel - Aaltonen - Johnsson

6) Gardiner - Zaitsev
7) Reilly - Liljegren
8) Hainsey - Carrick
X) Rosen

Last edited:

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Ideal Leaf lineup . . . I guess it's the winning one, right? We want them to win, right?
I'll stick with whatever our awesome coach picks, that'll be the best one.

Reactions: djpunkrog

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Brown - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Komarov
Hyman - Moore - Kapanen
Martin

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
There's a lot of combos that are probably worth a shot to see if we can catch some lightning in a bottle:

JVR-Matthews-Nylander - JVR isn't great defensively or a real possession driver, but he excels infront of the net and is good at helping with an offensive zone cycle. He plays with 2 possession drivers who get the puck to the front of the net alot...seems like it's worth a shot

Leivo-Bozak-Marner - Leivo is a volume shooter and possession monster, so he plays with on a line with 2 very good puck distributors who could use help in possessing the puck more. Leivo's release is an upgrade on JVR's, and I think that Bozak and Marner would get Leivo a lot of open looks from the high slot

Marleau-Kadri-Komarov/Brown - maybe the best 3rd line in Hockey. Kadri isn't the prototypical selke type shutdown center but I think this line outscores its shortcomings pretty easily. We have the prospect depth to make a deal with Komarov even though he's still a very good player and probably our best defensive forward, Brown would be an upgrade offensively so we're just picking which strength we prefer for the line

Kapanen/Hyman-Fehr/Aaltonen-Hyman/Brown - probably the best 4th line in Hockey and a matchup nightmare when you have to defend the 3 lines above too. Not a traditional line of heavies, but if you can get 35 goals out of a 4th line that is a hell of a supplement towards winning games

Martin - too good of a player to be the 13th forward, very useful in the right situations and necessary in some situations when the gloves are likely to drop at some point in a game. Great thing to have when you need it, and we get the benefits of his mentorship for the kids as he stays with the team

Reactions: drewjenks

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
THE BRUISING BOTTOM PAIRS

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Hyman
Martin - Fehr - Grundstrom
Korshkov - Gauthier - Soshnikov

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Reilly - Hainsey
Borgman - Polak
Dermott - Rasanen
Greenway - Middleton

Mikeyg is not going to like this thread very much.

Who is Mikeyg? Is there something inappropriate about it?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
You might as well just post your Leafs lineup from NHL '17 if you're going to include deals like that.

Fair criticism. Optimistic by me. What do you think is required?

I assume this deal only happens if their rebuiling - that's why no roster players are included.

WilliamInLondon

Mar 24, 2016
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Kadri - Marner
Marleau - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Komarov - Hyman

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Hainsey
Rosen - Carrick

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Ideal Leaf lineup . . . I guess it's the winning one, right? We want them to win, right?
I'll stick with whatever our awesome coach picks, that'll be the best one.

Yes the ideal lineup is the one from 1967. The one that wins the Cup.
My ideal lineup will be the next one that wins. The combos people are writing could change between now and then.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Bozak out

Marleau-Matthews-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Kapanen
Leivo-Kadri-Brown
Hyman-Komarov-Soshnikov
Aaltonen

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Rielly-Hainsey
Rosen-Carrick
Borgman

Damn, I didn't think our roster could look so good / deep without Bozak.

Time to chase a 1st round pick for Boze? Possibly flip that 1st + our extra 2nd + prospects for Rielly's perfect match?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Damn, I didn't think our roster could look so good / deep without Bozak.

Time to chase a 1st round pick for Boze? Possibly flip that 1st + our extra 2nd + prospects for Rielly's perfect match?

I like Bozak and think he can be a really solid third line C on a good team, but I honestly think our offence looks better with him out of the picture at this point. Our depth up front is pretty crazy. I wonder if PIT would be willing to part ways with their 2018 1st in exchange for Bozak retained - their centre depth past Sid/Geno is atrocious

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Kappy
Martin - Aaltonen - Brown

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Reilly - Parayko (should have offer sheeted him for 6m instead of signing Hainsey)
Borgman - Polak
Rosen - Dermott

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Kappy
Martin - Aaltonen - Brown

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Reilly - Parayko (should have offer sheeted him for 6m instead of signing Hainsey)
Borgman - Polak
Rosen - Dermott

I would have been a fan of that play but Lou seems all about 'the code'. He might even be in the Mafia.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
Johnsson - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Kadri - Brown
Marleau - Bozak - Nylander
Leivo - Komorov - Kapanen

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Dermott
Borgman - Hainsey

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In a fantasy World or as this thread suggests not reality based, ;), then I would stack 3 offensive lines and put all my diggers/grinders/Pkers on the 4th line.

Nylander -- Matthews -- Marner
JVR --- Kadri --- Brown
Leivo ---Bozak -- Kapanen
---------------------------------------------
Hyman -- Fehr -- Komarov

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
In a fantasy World or as this thread suggests not reality based, ;), then I would stack 3 offensive lines and put all my diggers/grinders/Pkers on the 4th line.

JVR --- Kadri --- Brown
Hyman -- Fehr -- Komarov

almost wonder if there would be enough puck to go around on that top line, might be some diminishing returns. It's a scary idea that we can put that on the ice when we really need to score though...

MrPiff17

Bay St. Bullies
Feb 22, 2009
the 416
Marleau - Matthews - Marner

JVR - Bozak - Nylander

Hyman - Kadri - Brown

Martin - Fehr/Moore - Komarov

Our second line right now (JVR.Bozak.Marner) doesn't seem to have that 'main' guy or 'go to' guy. I see Marner as somebody who makes those around him better, but not a go to guy when you really need a goal. Don't get me wrong, he can be clutch, but he can be more dangerous playing with Matthews

I see Nylander as someone who should be the "go to" guy on his line. He isn't that guy playing with Matthews

We are deep enough at forward and can afford to stack Matthews with Marner. Look at what Marner did while playing with Dvorak in London, now imagine Matthews as his centre, and what they can do together as they improve, and get older. What Marner can do on the ice is incredible, now adding Matthews to the equation is downright scary. Would soon become the best line duo in the entire league.

Marleau can just go to the net and poach. Not worried about the Hyman factor and him getting Matthews the puck.

Nylander is the type of player who needs to be the main guy on his line, so moving him to the JVR line will do just that, and I can honestly see him putting up more points as the "go to" guy on that line. Nylander running that line, with JVR sneaking in another 30 goals would probably make them the best 2nd line in the league

Kadri line can shutdown and produce offensively

4th line is the grinder line, but I see Leivo taking someones spot there in the near future to give them more offence

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If I could choose from available players, I'd go with two different lineups depending on if it's a home or away game. That's because home you can control matchups, so the value of concentrated matchup and sheltered lines increase.

Home:
Leivo - Kadri - Komarov
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Hyman - Moore - Brown
Martin, Aaltonen

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Hainsey
Rosén - Carrick
Marincin

Away:
JVR - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Hyman - Bozak - Marner
Leivo - Aaltonen - Komarov
Martin, Moore

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Carrick
Rosén - Hainsey
Marincin

To be honest, I'd probably not use these because if I was in charge, I wouldn't make so many changes on lines that we know work, but as a thought experiment it intrigues me.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

JVR --- Kadri --- Brown
Hyman -- Fehr -- Komarov

Where did Marleau go?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad