Rielly Stralman
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott Zaitsev
Carrick

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Want to play a little more of a revisionist here?...considering the Kessel trade was already done, we actually had these picks before that draft, and who would have been available, it could have been:

25th - Rackell (Philly's pick via Versteeg)
30 - Gibson (Bostons pick via Kaberle)
39 - Saad (ours)
43 - Kuch (acquired by dealing Stralman)
^ Could subsititute Trocheck in lieu of any of those 4
86 - Leivo (Versteeg)
100 - Gaudreau (ours)
130 - Shaw (ours)
152 - Manson (via Edmonton)
160 - Anton Forsberg (we swapped this for Anaheim's 2012 6th for some reason)
190 - Ondrej Palat (ours)
203 - Dzingel (Anaheim's pick via Joey MacDonald)

So esseintially if our FO was competent before Shanny arrived, our projected future lineup in 2011 could have been (discounting Morgan Rielly and onwards):
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Kucherov
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Saad-Kadri-Lupul
Palat-Komarov-Kulemin/Shaw

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Manson
Fraser-Franson (ew)

Gibson
Reimer

But that 2011 draft netted us Biggs, Percy, Leivo, Nilsson, Cameranesi, Broll, Robertson, Sparks, Everson. Despite hindsight being 20/20, our scouting was absolute dog crap. I like our FO and future now though. :P

... I think this post wins the revisionist history award.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I mean kessel would be the leafs second best player this season. Imagine him and Matthews playing together. It would be amazing. At 6.8 million he could replace Marleau . It would have been amazing to have seen kessel and Matthews play together.

it wouldnt be 6.8. it would be 8. we are already paying 1.2.

also kessel still here means no space or room to keep both marner and nylander

also i dont think 2 shooters on a line like that would work. kessel didnt mesh well with cros or malkin, but seems to do better with guys like bozak, bonino, cullen etc

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Want to play a little more of a revisionist here?...considering the Kessel trade was already done, we actually had these picks before that draft, and who would have been available, it could have been:

25th - Rackell (Philly's pick via Versteeg)
30 - Gibson (Bostons pick via Kaberle)
39 - Saad (ours)
43 - Kuch (acquired by dealing Stralman)
^ Could subsititute Trocheck in lieu of any of those 4
86 - Leivo (Versteeg)
100 - Gaudreau (ours)
130 - Shaw (ours)
152 - Manson (via Edmonton)
160 - Anton Forsberg (we swapped this for Anaheim's 2012 6th for some reason)
190 - Ondrej Palat (ours)
203 - Dzingel (Anaheim's pick via Joey MacDonald)

So esseintially if our FO was competent before Shanny arrived, our projected future lineup in 2011 could have been (discounting Morgan Rielly and onwards):
Gaudreau-Trocheck-Kucherov
JVR-Bozak-Kessel
Saad-Kadri-Lupul
Palat-Komarov-Kulemin/Shaw

Phaneuf-Gunnarsson
Gardiner-Manson
Fraser-Franson (ew)

Gibson
Reimer

But that 2011 draft netted us Biggs, Percy, Leivo, Nilsson, Cameranesi, Broll, Robertson, Sparks, Everson. Despite hindsight being 20/20, our scouting was absolute dog crap. I like our FO and future now though. :P
Wow that's shaping up to look like a GREAT draft. Shame we didn't cash in. Love Rielly, but woulda liked some steals lol. Thankful for our very competent FO.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If he was willing to sign for 1 year at a low cost I wouldn't mind seeing Luke Schenn brought back as a #5 or #6 Defenseman. He's got to be better than Roman Polak right?

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
100% Phil the Thrill... This team would be lights out, pick your poison good.
Imagine:
Matthews or Willie
And then
Naz or Mitch
Followed by
JVR or Phil

Who the hell do you defend?

Your gonads. You take out your 5th man and sub in the backup goalie to play beside your main goalie. Thereby forming an impenetrable wall.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Kessel and it's not even close. Him and Matthews together could have been dominant

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I don't even like Kessel but it's obviously Kessel, even if he's not what we need and will be a catastrophe trying to play for Babcock.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Thing about Kessel is that trade actually helped us tank further IMO and got us Andy. So I wouldnt wanna undo that deal.

The Stralman deal at that time was WTF and still is. Although we could have signed him as an FA back in '14.

Stralman for me.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Probably not the "best" option regarding current roster, but I was devastated to see Alex Steen leave in such a crap trade, days before Burke took control.

I also shed a tear when Curtis Joseph left

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
This is false.

Ok well take it out, then add in bleached his skin, had multiple horrific surgeries to fix his face as he hated his real face, had no real friends who loved him for him, hung out with kids because he couldn't trust adults, had to buy people stuff to be with him, Does it get any better ? Nope. Guy ws f***ed up really really bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->