I think we have a log jam in the defense

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
In the 5/6/7 spots, for sure. Between Dermott, Borgman, Rosen, Carrick, Ozhiganov, Marincin, Hainsey (although he could also still be a #4), maybe Holl, and maybe even Liljegren, we are definitely not lacking there.

We just need a different top 3 guy than Gardiner. Then we can have Hainsey and Zaitsev as our 3/4, and Rielly and the new guy as our 1/2.

We can use some of that depth mentioned there in trades. Personally, I think Dubas will line up trades for Carrick and Marincin this offseason, and keep the rest for either the Leafs or the Marlies.

The rest of his moves will be related to fixing the top 4. Whether Gardiner and perhaps signing a UFA like Hamhuis, Green, Carlsson or De Haan plays into that is another question.

Reactions: dubplatepressure

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I know you think Tanev is made of glass but if you get him cheap you do it, even if he only plays 60 games. If he is healthy for the playoffs we win big. We paid a 2nd + for Pleks. Tanev at least has some life left in him and he is a local boy. No brainer for me for a second or less.

that's a whole lotta if there. personally, (and i'm not saying this is you it's just what i've gleaned here) a lot of people want Tanev for 2 reasons

1: because he's right handed
2: because of a 2-3 week stint when he played with Rielly.

both - not good enough to add a glass body on the roster to me.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
that's a whole lotta if there. personally, (and i'm not saying this is you it's just what i've gleaned here) a lot of people want Tanev for 2 reasons

3: he's fantastic in his own end

Reactions: MR4

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

He's got good defensive numbers but yeah I agree. Would I rather have Brown play for 82 games or Tanev play for 50?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
3: he's fantastic in his own end

4: when he plays
which isn't a lot.

like people liked lupul when he played because he was really impactful, and engaging but then it got to a point where the injuries to his body severely impacted his play and then he wasn't good then he disappeared. why do people want to go through that again?

Reactions: Cams

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
He's got good defensive numbers but yeah I agree. Would I rather have Brown play for 82 games or Tanev play for 50?

honestly. if he even averaged 72-75 games a season i would be more open to it. he doesn't.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
4: when he plays
which isn't a lot.

like people liked lupul when he played because he was really impactful, and engaging but then it got to a point where the injuries to his body severely impacted his play and then he wasn't good then he disappeared. why do people want to go through that again?
because having Tanev for ~50-60 games a year is still better than having arguably the worst right side defensive group in all 82 games

Reactions: stickty111

Growler

May 16, 2018
I agree there is a log jam at LD, Goalie and Wing.

A need at RD and Center.

Plus, there is surplus Cap room this year perhaps to buy-out a bad contract on this year's books. Sounds like trade talk.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
because having Tanev for ~50-60 games a year is still better than having arguably the worst right side defensive group in all 82 games

ahuh
so what do you do for the rest of the time? what if the 50 games he plays is the first 50, and not the last 50 and playoffs? then you still have your issue of having the arguably worst right side defensive group for the massive amount of time he's not playing.

get someone who is healthy and can do it.

Reactions: Cams

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
ahuh
so what do you do for the rest of the time? what if the 50 games he plays is the first 50, and not the last 50 and playoffs? then you still have your issue of having the arguably worst right side defensive group for the massive amount of time he's not playing.

get someone who is healthy and can do it.
Like who? Tanev is the perfect target because he brings a high level of play at a relatively lower cost

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I want him because he is a good RHD and would be in our top 4. Being glass concerns me but not as much if we get him on the cheap.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Like who? Tanev is the perfect target because he brings a high level of play at a relatively lower cost

what low cost? wasn't Vancouver looking at 1st round picks and roster players or something?
and i don't know "who" because personally, I don't really put a lot of stock on the right side/left side thing. I personally would get a good (healthy) defenseman, and call it a day.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
what low cost? wasn't Vancouver looking at 1st round picks and roster players or something?
and i don't know "who" because personally, I don't really put a lot of stock on the right side/left side thing. I personally would get a good (healthy) defenseman, and call it a day.

John Shannon said the price has dropped, He is a UFA July 2019 and folks in Vancouver are saying that if he tells Canucks management he does not plan to return to the Canucks the cost would be a 2nd round pick.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
In reality, Hainsey should be playing the Polak role. He can not play top pairing mins. If you can have Hainsey playing bottom pairing and get another guy to play with Rielly on the top pairing, a legit D man, then you got something. I am also really hoping they have no plans on bringing Polak back. If we see him playing for us again, it will be the same old song and dance.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
John Shannon said the price has dropped, He is a UFA July 2019 and folks in Vancouver are saying that if he tells Canucks management he does not plan to return to the Canucks the cost would be a 2nd round pick.

if it was just a 2nd round pick (or like. a player we know we weren't invented in) then i suppose so. but i still think it's a waste of a contract slot. but i do see the upside. (I'm not that bullish) LOL

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
In reality, Hainsey should be playing the Polak role. He can not play top pairing mins. If you can have Hainsey playing bottom pairing and get another guy to play with Rielly on the top pairing, a legit D man, then you got something. I am also really hoping they have no plans on bringing Polak back. If we see him playing for us again, it will be the same old song and dance.
Yes agree 100% Haisney was ok in the first 15 games last year and ended up as horrible in the last 25 games. Rielly has yet to play with anything other then a #6 D man in his whole career and it is time we get him an Solid NHL partner.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I am in favour of Tanev as his injuries are not a indication of him being anything but unlucky. Similar to Stammer who went through a bout of bad luck.

If it was a bad back or something that can be come chronic then I would be very cautious.

If we can get him for cheap all the better as he and Rielly would be a great pair making the amount that one top D man would make on its own.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Yes agree 100% Haisney was ok in the first 15 games last year and ended up as horrible in the last 25 games. Rielly has yet to play with anything other then a #6 D man in his whole career and it is time we get him an Solid NHL partner.

Zaitsev was bad but he wasn't as bad in 1st year IMO, I'd label him a #4 last year.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
We have a logjam of LHD, half of which are bottom pairing NHL'ers/top pairing AHL'ers and the worst group of RHD in the NHL. Hardly an ideal situation.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I am in favour of Tanev as his injuries are not a indication of him being anything but unlucky. Similar to Stammer who went through a bout of bad luck.

If it was a bad back or something that can be come chronic then I would be very cautious.

If we can get him for cheap all the better as he and Rielly would be a great pair making the amount that one top D man would make on its own.
Yep it doesn't seem like he has much significant consistently reoccurring injuries, so I'd be confident in our elite sports science team getting Tanev's GP/year up.

And a 2nd, hell even a 1st, is worth the 66-75% chance that he's healthy in playoffs since upgrading Reilly's partner from a #5 to a #2-3 is huge

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Drool..

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yep it doesn't seem like he has much significant consistently reoccurring injuries, so I'd be confident in our elite sports science team getting Tanev's GP/year up.

And a 2nd, hell even a 1st, is worth the 66-75% chance that he's healthy in playoffs since upgrading Reilly's partner from a #5 to a #2-3 is huge

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

Drool..
It would take a 1st plus as he is their best Dman by a wide margin look at his zone starts over the years. Last year he had 58%D zone starts.
I say a 1st and a prospect maybe Carrick and a first would be enough.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
maybe you guts should watch some of the Marlies games before pontificating .Rosen has been putting up some points but him and lil have both been very weak defensively .Borgy has only played 2 games for the Marlies all playoffs .Holl and Marincin have been shouldering the load . Not sure why Borgy is on the outs after he had a real solid 48 games for us , We sent him down and played Carrick ahead of him when we really needed his beef against the Bruins .Best guess he bruised the 8 million dollar ego and if so he will never be seen around here again .Holl and Borgy should both be in the lineup next year but we'll get the small playing euro guys because thats what Babcock wants reality be damned .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad