I think this was real chance for Finland...

ShaneDoan

May 5, 2005
and they didnt won gold...in 2010 Finland may be just 5th or 6th...thats quite harsh..

if Finland would be winners there would be awesome party here in Finland and Helsinki...no it is just little happening in Helsinki centre.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
On the contrary, I think Finland is one of the up-and-coming teams in hockey. They have a great stable of goaltenders and they don't need flashy offensive prospects to run their system.

I also think Sweden's impending demise is greatly exagerrated. Sure they are going to drop off from the level of play provided by guys like Lidstrom and Forsberg but with Lundqvist, Zetterberg, the Sedins, Kronwall, and new talent down the line (Backstrom, Bergfors, etc.), they will still be competitive.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
ShaneDoan said:
and they didnt won gold...in 2010 Finland may be just 5th or 6th...thats quite harsh..

if Finland would be winners there would be awesome party here in Finland and Helsinki...no it is just little happening in Helsinki centre.

I would not stress over that. After the World Cup I thought that it was Finland's last chance. I would be more worried about this tradition of crumpling in the last match. What is it, 1/8 finals won? Finland would be high in all time standings if they would not always melt in the finals.

Last edited:

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Don't worry. Finland is a great hockey nation and will be back.

By the way, do you know what the Swedish Hockey Federation had as advertising slogan going into the 2004 World Cup? "Sista Slaget", meaning "The Last Battle". :biglaugh:

chewmeister

Feb 21, 2006
I dont agree. 2010 will be different our players who played in this tournament are too old and there isnt any new guys who could replace Selanne,Lehtinen,Numminen... Finland is not going to compete of gold medals in 2010 Olympics. Maybe we will have change to get in quarter finals. This year we had good changes but we blow it.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
True Blue Bleed Blue said:
I didn't think US would be in this year, not a chance...it was Canada vs Sweden or Czech for me

The point being that trying to make "no doubt" predictions for the Olympics is pointless, as this year showed.

vinkupieru

Feb 23, 2006
Finnish players are so drunk right now, that they wont even remember which medals they won...

:biglaugh:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
ShaneDoan said:
and they didnt win gold...

Congratulations to Finland for WINNING THE SILVER MEDAL. :clap:

Your team didn't "didn't win" anything. You medaled. That is an accomplishment, in the spitit of the Olympics. One which has longed been forgotten in the absurd "Gold or nothing" mentality of many in today's sports generation. :shakehead

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ShaneDoan said:

Oh god, are we going to have to listen to this from every country over the next 4 years?

Finland was going to be 5th or 6th this year.

Every country will get their chance at some point.

Fact of the matter it depends on more than just the roster you put out. Both teams in today's game were missing 3 of their top 5 defensemen and had rookie goalies as starters. Lundqvist was MVP of the game and Niittymaki was MVP of the tournament.

The sooner people understand this the least everyone will drive themselves crazy.

Finland has all kinds of goaltenders who will be able to put the team on their back, they have a very strong system and a large amount of role players who can fill in a pinch. The top end talent might be lacking, but it's never like that ever stopped anyone as long as you keep the puck out of the net

Last edited:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Yeah, I don't think the Finns have anything to be ashamed of. The final match was very even, it was a matter of bounces...

Randall Graves*

Fins surpassed almost everyones expectations, they have nothing to feel bad about! they had 7 NHL'ers drop out including Pitkanen and Kipprusoff. I wouldn't be surprised to see one more run left in koivu,selanne,lehtinen either.

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
chewmeister said:
I dont agree. 2010 will be different our players who played in this tournament are too old and there isnt any new guys who could replace Selanne,Lehtinen,Numminen... Finland is not going to compete of gold medals in 2010 Olympics.

No no, don't worry because you are totally wrong. Finland will always be a contender for gold from now on, because until 2010 Finland will actually have reached the same level as Cze, USA and Sweden in overall talent, depth and quantity of star players. Selanne, Lehtinen and Numminen will be replaced with guys like Tuomo Ruutu, Lauri Tukonen, Joni Pitkänen, Sami Lepistö, Jesse Joensuu, Petteri Nokelainen and improved versions of Mikko Koivu and Jussi Jokinen. (and elite players like Saku Koivu, Olli Jokinen, Kimmo Timonen, Sami Salo, Toni Lydman, Kari Lehtonen will all still be available)

Actually the other teams will have a lot more difficulties in replacing their Forsbergs, Jagrs, Alfredssons, Haseks, Strakas, Prospals, Sundins, Lidstroms, Langs and almost the whole USA-team!

These World Cup and Olympic silver medals were just the beginning of a new era - Finland's future looks bright!

Ratfinklives

Nov 24, 2002
Visit site
Slime said:
No no, don't worry because you are totally wrong. Finland will always be a contender for gold from now on, because until 2010 Finland will actually have reached the same level as Cze, USA and Sweden in overall talent, depth and quantity of star players. Selanne, Lehtinen and Numminen will be replaced with guys like Tuomo Ruutu, Lauri Tukonen, Joni Pitkänen, Sami Lepistö, Jesse Joensuu, Petteri Nokelainen and improved versions of Mikko Koivu and Jussi Jokinen. (and elite players like Saku Koivu, Olli Jokinen, Kimmo Timonen, Sami Salo, Toni Lydman, Kari Lehtonen will all still be available)

Actually the other teams will have a lot more difficulties in replacing their Forsbergs, Jagrs, Alfredssons, Haseks, Strakas, Prospals, Sundins, Lidstroms, Langs and almost the whole USA-team!

These World Cup and Olympic silver medals were just the beginning of a new era - Finland's future looks bright!

I like the post but I have to feel for Niitymaki here. He just won MVP of the Olympics, stood on his head many times and was just a great player for a team he wasn't even invited to and he gets snubbed on the list of good returning players!

I know it could have just been a slip or you think Lehtonen will be that much better by then... but the man just got you a medal! Show him some love. :handclap:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Every year is a good chance for any of the top 7 teams, if you can gel quickly and play as a team you can win this tourney.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
ShaneDoan said:

Everyone has been writing us off in every major tournament, and we only failed in Salt lake city...even then we dropped against the champion in a 1 goal loss. Maybe it is time for especially our own fans to start showing some faith...Bronze in Nagano, second in world cup, silver medals now...This team has been one of the most consistant performers in almost 10 year period, in every major tournament. Yeah, I know we will likely not have Selänne-Koivu-Lehtinen for the next olympics, maybe not even next world cup, but we have lots of young talent coming up and taking their places. They will not replace that talent, but because of the bigger numbers, they might make the team better anyway.

chewmeister

Feb 21, 2006
Slime said:

Sorry but u gave names that arent gonna be top players in NHL. And Tuomo Ruutu might end his career soon because of injuries. Joensuu,Nokelainen,Tukonen will not be players who will lead us to Olympic gold in future.Goalie situation looks better but our forwards in future might not be level of Selänne or S.Koivu. Pitkänen is very good offensive defender. And i trust we will have good defenders but out attack will not be good enough not so much potential.Shame that we didnt win Sweden already got so many Olympic wins before :/

hifk88

Nov 2, 2005
Helsinki
chewmeister said:
Sorry but u gave names that arent gonna be top players in NHL. And Tuomo Ruutu might end his career soon because of injuries. Joensuu,Nokelainen,Tukonen will not be players who will lead us to Olympic gold in future.Goalie situation looks better but our forwards in future might not be level of Selänne or S.Koivu. Pitkänen is very good offensive defender. And i trust we will have good defenders but out attack will not be good enough not so much potential.Shame that we didnt win Sweden already got so many Olympic wins before :/

Do you really think it's matters???

Did you even watch these games at all???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->