I think MA Fleury needs to be sent down to juniors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
He seems to have totally lost his confidence. He has been very weak since October and, from reports, had a very bad WJC tournament.

Look at the game logs of his last 10 NHL games:

Saves/Shots on Goal

11-4 34/38
11-7 40/45
11-8 4/5
11-12 36/42
11-19 6/9
11-21 31/33
11-28 31/35
12-1 24/27
12-6 38/42
12-9 33/37

Over his last 10 NHL Games:

277 Saves/313 Shots on Goal
.885 Save Percentage

Going back to juniors would boost his confidence back up, and hopefully, snap him out of his bad habits.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't disagree with you. But I would rather they somehow get him down to the AHL. I think it's the right amount of pressure and work load where he can be challenged but still improve. The baby Pens fans are the best in the AHL and aren't afraid to jump down a player's throat for a poor performance, and the team is pretty good.

Last edited:

Kev88

Co-Founder of LaPasserelle
Nov 30, 2003
Canada
www.lapasserellehockey.com
Jacobv2 said:
I don't disagree with you. But I would rather they somehow get him down to the AHL. I think it's the right amount of pressure and work load where he can be challenged but still improve. The baby Pens fans are the best in the AHL and aren't afraid to jump down a player's throat for a poor performance, and the team is pretty good.

But he's not 20 years old, and you need to be 20 as a North American to play in the AHL. But it's a good idea.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
they could send him down on a conditioning stint could they not? Obviously that'd be only 2 weeks, but still, it might be enough to just get him working on his confidence maybe?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They'd just have to keep him on the NHL roster, and Fleury would have to agree to it.

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:

I too wish it was that easy....

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
And to add to my point, he also won't become a member of the NHLPA and will be able to go back to the AHL during the lockout.

akhorahil

It will probably happen...

I was under the impression from Craig Patrick's blurbs (primarily, articles in the P-G from before the WJC tourny) that the team was basically not going to pay Fleury his $3 mil bonus which kicked in after he played 25 games. This either means he's going to sit the bench all season in the 'burgh (he's already played 15 or 16 games, I forget how many exactly), or he'll get sent to Cape Breton for a Memorial Cup run. I would bet on the latter.

eh

Pachoo said:
He seems to have totally lost his confidence. He has been very weak since October and, from reports, had a very bad WJC tournament.
"Very bad" would be exaggerating, but he wasn't the best goalie of the tournament, which is - by his standards - a disappointment.

D-Rock

Mar 13, 2002
Chi-town
Visit site
Pachoo said:

Saves/Shots on Goal

11-4 34/38
11-7 40/45
11-8 4/5
11-12 36/42
11-19 6/9
11-21 31/33
11-28 31/35
12-1 24/27
12-6 38/42
12-9 33/37

.885 Save Percentage

Going back to juniors would boost his confidence back up, and hopefully, snap him out of his bad habits.

That would be detrimental to his confidence. All the negative press would impact his self-esteem. He should steer clear of Canada, and play in the AHL...

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Fleury's performance at the U20s was a worst Case scenario for the Pens. Even though he played reasonably well, he didn't come home with the Gold he was expecting for himself. It wasn't like last year where he blew in as an 18 year-old and stole the show: This year he was EXPECTED to bring home the gold by a lot of people.

Now the Pens have to figure out a way to not screw up the kids mind.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pachoo said:

Saves/Shots on Goal

11-4 34/38
11-7 40/45
11-8 4/5
11-12 36/42
11-19 6/9
11-21 31/33
11-28 31/35
12-1 24/27
12-6 38/42
12-9 33/37

.885 Save Percentage

Sure. After a rough month in november, a rough WJC, let's kick him while he's down and send him to Cape Breton.
That will surely boost his confidence... :shakehead

Pachoo

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I disagree. Being advanced up to the NHL at too early of an age has derailed the careers of many goalie prospects in the past (DiPietro anyone)?

It doesn't help the psyche of a 19 year old kid being shelled everynight by the caliber of snipers that are in the NHL. It is better for him to go back to juniors to refine his game, building up confidence with success vs lesser levels of talent.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
When you do well in at the NHL level, no matter how many shots you face, it's better for your confidence than being sent down unfairly.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Evilo said:
That will surely boost his confidence... :shakehead

You don't think a player dominating easier competition raises confidence? You do realize how good Cape Breton is without him don't you? He might struggle at first because he wouldn't like the demotion but there's no doubt he'd be more confident after a stint in junior and one could argue the adversity of being sent down could help his mental game long term.

I think it would be the right move all around. He's eligible to play in the AHL next season, it's junior or the NHL this year and I don't think being bombed backstopping a pathetic Penguins club is helping his confidence.

You really think getting slaughtered at the NHL level is better for his confidence than dominating on a great junior team? I really don't understand your logic. There's nothing unfair about the demotion, he isn't going to get the bonus and therefore will be sent down at some point or will sit on the bench. I think it's an easy choice which of those two is the best option. And if sending him down is inevitable then you might as well do it sooner rather than later. I would have thought Penguins fans would want what's best for the franchise and Fleury long term and to me it's clear he should be in junior this season. Nice ploy by the Penguins to get him signed so that he wouldn't become UFA in two years but now you've got to do what's best for his development and confidence and I'm pretty sure that being bombed on one of the worst few teams in the NHL is not the best way.

Last edited:

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
You don't think a player dominating easier competition raises confidence? You do realize how good Cape Breton is without him don't you?

Cap Breton already have a very good goalie. If Fleury go back there and don't win the memorial cup(there is many other good team), he'll be labeled as a chocker at 18... not a great things for confidence.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Flames Draft Watcher said:
You don't think a player dominating easier competition raises confidence? You do realize how good Cape Breton is without him don't you? He might struggle at first because he wouldn't like the demotion but there's no doubt he'd be more confident after a stint in junior and one could argue the adversity of being sent down could help his mental game long term.

I think it would be the right move all around. He's eligible to play in the AHL next season, it's junior or the NHL this year and I don't think being bombed backstopping a pathetic Penguins club is helping his confidence.

You really think getting slaughtered at the NHL level is better for his confidence than dominating on a great junior team? I really don't understand your logic. There's nothing unfair about the demotion, he isn't going to get the bonus and therefore will be sent down at some point or will sit on the bench. I think it's an easy choice which of those two is the best option. And if sending him down is inevitable then you might as well do it sooner rather than later. I would have thought Penguins fans would want what's best for the franchise and Fleury long term and to me it's clear he should be in junior this season. Nice ploy by the Penguins to get him signed so that he wouldn't become UFA in two years but now you've got to do what's best for his development and confidence and I'm pretty sure that being bombed on one of the worst few teams in the NHL is not the best way.
You don't seem to understand the simple truth : Fleury doesn't deserve to be sent down.
It's as simple as that.
He plays good enough not to warrant a demotion (so far).
So until he shows he's not up to the task, a demotion for money purpose or anything else would be IMO a blow to his confidence.
Now if he DOES struggle in Pittsburgh, then yes I'm all for sending him down. But so far, he hasn't.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Beatnik said:
Cap Breton already have a very good goalie. If Fleury go back there and don't win the memorial cup(there is many other good team), he'll be labeled as a chocker at 18... not a great things for confidence.

Not only that, but Cape Breton would be wise to stick with the guy they have as the starter. I don't think you hand over that job to Fleury right away or maybe at all if things are working for you.

A lot can go wrong with sending him back. Until he starts routinely getting shelled (obviously for maybe 3-4 games) and shows he shouldn't be in the NHL, he should stay in Pittsburgh. He has Molleken there with him, and I doubt will play the bulk of the remaining games anyways.

And I think a week off will do good and let him clear his mind for a return in Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->